Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times

Advertisements

Is there a test I can do at home to know whether a lens is polaroid? Or does that require special equipment? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Is there a test I can do at home to know whether a lens is polaroid? Or does that require special equipment? Thank you.
Look through the lens at light glancing off of water and rotate the lens. If the brightness changes, it's a polarizing lens. If it doesn't change, you're either not at a low enough angle to the reflected light or they're not polarized.

Look up at the clear blue sky. Find the sun and then find a patch of sky 90 degrees away from the sun. Look at the sky through the lens and rotate. If the brightness changes when you rotate, it's a polarizing lens. If it doesn't change, you're either not at 90 degrees or they are not polarizing lenses.

Find an LCD computer screen. Look through the lens and rotate. If the brightness changes, it's a polarizing lens. If it doesn't chances are it's not a polarized lens, but some screens (like my iPhone 4s) aren't polarized. Cheaper displays almost always are, though.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Look through the lens at light glancing off of water and rotate the lens. If the brightness changes, it's a polarizing lens. If it doesn't change, you're either not at a low enough angle to the reflected light or they're not polarized.

Look up at the clear blue sky. Find the sun and then find a patch of sky 90 degrees away from the sun. Look at the sky through the lens and rotate. If the brightness changes when you rotate, it's a polarizing lens. If it doesn't change, you're either not at 90 degrees or they are not polarizing lenses.

Find an LCD computer screen. Look through the lens and rotate. If the brightness changes, it's a polarizing lens. If it doesn't chances are it's not a polarized lens, but some screens (like my iPhone 4s) aren't polarized. Cheaper displays almost always are, though.
All right. I can do the second one. We're looking for brightness to change as I rotate them. Good.

One thing I have seen and don't know if this indicates polaroid or if any tinted lens would do it. I hold the lens (which is brown) up to face the sun - not while wearing them, I promise - and I get a blue reflection. Does that mean anything?

Thanks again. My next walk out and about, I'll try the second above.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
All right. I can do the second one. We're looking for brightness to change as I rotate them. Good.

One thing I have seen and don't know if this indicates polaroid or if any tinted lens would do it. I hold the lens (which is brown) up to face the sun - not while wearing them, I promise - and I get a blue reflection. Does that mean anything?

Thanks again. My next walk out and about, I'll try the second above.
Nope, that doesn't mean anything. Polarization is differentiated by being different on rotation.

Relevant note: Polarizing sunglasses are designed to stop light reflected off of horizontal surfaces, which is why they reduce glare.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Nope, that doesn't mean anything. Polarization is differentiated by being different on rotation.

Relevant note: Polarizing sunglasses are designed to stop light reflected off of horizontal surfaces, which is why they reduce glare.
And the reduced glare makes vision so much better. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:58 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Take two pairs of *polarized* lenses.
Put one in front of each other.
As mentioned above, rotate one and it should go from light to dark.
If it does not, then either both are not polarized or one of them is not.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Take two pairs of *polarized* lenses.
Put one in front of each other.
As mentioned above, rotate one and it should go from light to dark.
If it does not, then either both are not polarized or one of them is not.
All right. It worked and they both are polarized. The Ray Bans I know are but wanted to confirm the other.

Then I remembered a pair of cheap $10 clip on/flip ups that I had stashed away. I never wear them any more and certainly did not think they would be polarized, especially since they have a terrible glare to them. The lens has "UVue Polar" on it which, to me, was not even a guarantee of UVA and UVB protection. Anyway, I tested those and they also went dark. Not as dark as the others but certainly dark. Does that make sense?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:19 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Polarized lenses are great for fishing. They minimize the reflection off the water so you can see fish in shallow water.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Polarized lenses are great for fishing. They minimize the reflection off the water so you can see fish in shallow water.
Good for watching scenery with somebody else driving, too. I don't bother the fish.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:18 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Good for watching scenery with somebody else driving, too. I don't bother the fish.
I got my avatar from a little fishing accident. A trout threw a spinner into my left eye. But I did have three months off to go fishing! However; my left eye is permanently dilated - even now; 13 years after the accident.

When I went back to work as a truck driver, after the accident, I wore polarized sunglasses. I was on the road immediately after 911 wearing these glasses. I felt that I could perceive a difference in our weather because of the imposed no-fly zone over the US at that time. I was traveling with a partner that was a retired school teacher and I gave him my polarized sunglasses to see if he thought there was a difference. He agreed. It was like you could see moisture rising with the glasses on. I tried to find weather data to back up my observations and there was some that kind of supported these findings - but nothing conclusive. It was the only time in our busy modern lives that all planes were grounded. It was an excellent time to 'see" what damage or lack of damage we are doing to our weather.

The polarized lenses do help stop reflective glare - especially from the windshield or hood of the car/truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology