U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 07:06 PM

27,111 posts, read 38,378,993 times

Advertisements

1 second delay? Big whoop. I routinely count to three before leaving at a green light. Too many morons texting instead of noticing the light changed to red. I see it all the time here and it's a good argument for cameras. I hate them, but something needs to be done since laws and police awareness isn't working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,244,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
1 second delay? Big whoop. I routinely count to three before leaving at a green light. Too many morons texting instead of noticing the light changed to red. I see it all the time here and it's a good argument for cameras. I hate them, but something needs to be done since laws and police awareness isn't working.
The new sensors give the autonomous vehicle a much better shot at who is coming. And if we get to everybody transmitting a location and intent signal it will be better yet.

So I would expect the 1 second to fade away to zero over the years.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,532,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The new sensors give the autonomous vehicle a much better shot at who is coming. And if we get to everybody transmitting a location and intent signal it will be better yet.

So I would expect the 1 second to fade away to zero over the years.
IF you're really that comfortable with entrusting your life and limbs to a little crap box with a bunch of computers and sensors and NO steering wheel OR brake, according to google then R.I.P.

I WILL drive my truck until cars have WINGS!!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
IF you're really that comfortable with entrusting your life and limbs to a little crap box with a bunch of computers and sensors and NO steering wheel OR brake, according to google then R.I.P.

I WILL drive my truck until cars have WINGS!!
I believe that will pretty much restrict you to pre 2000 automobiles. Whether you notice or not the vehicles after that date are more and more by wire rather than crank and push rod. Virtually none of the vehicles with fuel injections nowadays will run without several live computers. You got maybe 20 years left and your vehicle gets declared a safety hazard and barred from the highway.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,945,460 times
Quote:
I believe that will pretty much restrict you to pre 2000 automobiles. Whether you notice or not the vehicles after that date are more and more by wire rather than crank and push rod. Virtually none of the vehicles with fuel injections nowadays will run without several live computers. You got maybe 20 years left and your vehicle gets declared a safety hazard and barred from the highway.
I guess you never heard of these:

350/290 HP Small Block Crate Engine | Chevrolet

Performance Crate Engines - Ford - Small-Block - Introduction - Edelbrock, LLC.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...ines/make/ford

KMOD - KMOD K24 Crate Engines - Asheboro, NC

Of course the above won't fit in those coffin (oops) I mean smart cars...

Old 06-03-2014, 11:10 PM

Legal? In California? The first indicates it is useful in pre 1976 vehicles.

Face it. The days of carburetion are over...and the availability of a few hobbyist options don't change anything.

In fact GM is making crate kits with full blown computers and all the bells and whistles...which will eventually have to be used.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Nope, My truck is even older than that, and I love it! My 68' Ford has NO computer crap or fuel inj, I don't even have electronic ignition! Good old points and condenser for me in it and I have plenty of spare parts for the 302 small block, so guess again! OLD is gold in my opinion! You can have your little roller skate cars!

Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Legal? In California? The first indicates it is useful in pre 1976 vehicles.

Face it. The days of carburetion are over...and the availability of a few hobbyist options don't change anything.

In fact GM is making crate kits with full blown computers and all the bells and whistles...which will eventually have to be used.
BS!! Carbs are forever, for those of us who can still tune em' so don't kid yourself! You enjoy all your NEW crap ok ?!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
BS!! Carbs are forever, for those of us who can still tune em' so don't kid yourself! You enjoy all your NEW crap ok ?!
You have 20 years or so. And after that you may still be able to use your vehicle on private property.

And even gasoline is not forever...maybe 50 years? If that.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
You have 20 years or so. And after that you may still be able to use your vehicle on private property.

And even gasoline is not forever...maybe 50 years? If that.
Keep telling yourself that,lol. There are OTHER fuel sources other than gas, that older vehicles will run on just fine. I've jump started more NEWER cars with my 68' in the winter months than you've probably owned!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or