U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 02:16 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,519,783 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:55 PM

26,952 posts, read 38,201,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Keep telling yourself that,lol. There are OTHER fuel sources other than gas, that older vehicles will run on just fine. I've jump started more NEWER cars with my 68' in the winter months than you've probably owned!
You're missing his point, which is not the lack of gas, although the main sources we use now will dry up at some point.

It's that in 20 years allowing cars to drive us around might be mandatory so you won't be allowed to drive your car on streets.

I won't be surprised if it happens.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,163,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You're missing his point, which is not the lack of gas, although the main sources we use now will dry up at some point.

It's that in 20 years allowing cars to drive us around might be mandatory so you won't be allowed to drive your car on streets.

And I would think that a world with sufficiently cheap solar generated electricity will go to hydrogen as the fuel for mobile usage. I suppose you could rig a four cycle engine for hydrogen but it would require a good bit of retrofit.

and of course once the automatons get going you ain't gonna allow random humans to screw it up.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,519,783 times
Quote:

None of that matters to me, I'm still driving myself irregardless.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 PM

I saw a blurb about some people who are developing a road base that generates electricity from sunlight. It is in the testing phase now. I wish I had seen more of the story. Perhaps Google.

Edit: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...ves-and-money/

Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,163,054 times
Quote:
I saw a blurb about some people who are developing a road base that generates electricity from sunlight. It is in the testing phase now. I wish I had seen more of the story. Perhaps Google.

Edit: How 'Solar Roadways' plans to create smart roads to produce clean energy and save lives and money - TechRepublic
Glass tiles covering embedded solar cells, LEDs and circuitry. Pie in the sky I think. Maybe in a parking lot.

Has all of the fun problems. Connectors for example...if you actually want to run stuff at night or even think about heating the road you are talking big buss bars underneath...driven by what power source...

I would think heads up displays showing this stuff to the driver are more likely.

Hopefully the autonomous vehicles get here before that all happens.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:53 PM

11,401 posts, read 6,813,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
They might not have all the issues figured out yet which is why we do not have them. However they are advancing fast and all of the issues should be figured out by the end of the decade.
It's not the vehicle alone which needs to be modified; most of the problems lie within the highway network, which is probably far too large to encapsulate within a single unit of software.

To cite one small, but far-from-rare example, there is a curve not far from my home on PA route 339 (designated a state highway, but not heavily trafficked -- perhaps 500 vehicles daily, and very few trucks) which involves two subtle turns, a very short straight stretch, and two changes of gradient. Both locals and visitors (usually the latter) have been fooled and lost control for years, although speeds are slow by necessity, and injuries rare.

Any "self-driving" system is going to have to incorporate hundreds, probably thousands of such hazards.

The substance of the threat likely varies, depending on whether one is driving a Chevy Aveo, Cadillac Escalade, or a 1-ton pickup.

And also whether the driver is a 140-lb adult, or carrying three passengers who add another 450-600 lbs.

This is why I remain convinced that the implementation of auto-drive system, while increasingly feasible under closely-controlled conditions, will have to be done incrementally, and that cost considerations will limit it only to the most heavily-used portions of the highway system. It's not going to be adaptable to getting Gramps and Gran to the doctor for a very long time -- if ever.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:27 PM

12,103 posts, read 20,372,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's not the vehicle alone which needs to be modified; most of the problems lie within the highway network, which is probably far too large to encapsulate within a single unit of software.

To cite one small, but far-from-rare example, there is a curve not far from my home on PA route 339 (designated a state highway, but not heavily trafficked -- perhaps 500 vehicles daily, and very few trucks) which involves two subtle turns, a very short straight stretch, and two changes of gradient. Both locals and visitors (usually the latter) have been fooled and lost control for years, although speeds are slow by necessity, and injuries rare.

Any "self-driving" system is going to have to incorporate hundreds, probably thousands of such hazards.

The substance of the threat likely varies, depending on whether one is driving a Chevy Aveo, Cadillac Escalade, or a 1-ton pickup.

And also whether the driver is a 140-lb adult, or carrying three passengers who add another 450-600 lbs.

This is why I remain convinced that the implementation of auto-drive system, while increasingly feasible under closely-controlled conditions, will have to be done incrementally, and that cost considerations will limit it only to the most heavily-used portions of the highway system. It's not going to be adaptable to getting Gramps and Gran to the doctor for a very long time -- if ever.
Computers can already do thousands of calculations per second. This will be no issue for them at all.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:29 PM

12,103 posts, read 20,372,219 times
Now Nissan says they should have driverless cars by 2018. That is only 4 years away!

This is from HNGN:

The head of Nissan-Renault alliance, Carlos Ghosn revealed that driverless cars could be on road as early as 2018, provided there is appropriate legislation.

The link: Driverless Cars May be on City Roads By 2018, If Legislation Doesn

Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Now Nissan says they should have driverless cars by 2018. That is only 4 years away!

This is from HNGN:

The head of Nissan-Renault alliance, Carlos Ghosn revealed that driverless cars could be on road as early as 2018, provided there is appropriate legislation.

The link: Driverless Cars May be on City Roads By 2018, If Legislation Doesn

The key phrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or