U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

The key phrase.
I suspect that deals with when they remove the driver controls. I suspect virtually all capablilities are implementable in the present legal mileu. You just give the driver an override.

When push come to shove I suspect that may be how it has to go. Too traumatic to go to the googlemobile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:06 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,573,502 times
Would absolutely love to ditch control of the car so I could do whatever I wanted while I got to work. Once you remove human idiocy and irrational behavior from driving traffic and accidents would be a long forgotten idea of the past. We won't see this happen in our lifetimes though.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:07 PM

2,331 posts, read 2,513,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I suspect that deals with when they remove the driver controls. I suspect virtually all capablilities are implementable in the present legal mileu. You just give the driver an override.

When push come to shove I suspect that may be how it has to go. Too traumatic to go to the googlemobile.

Speaking of traumatic, I can't wait for the first land mark case involving a fatality from one of these death traps!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Speaking of traumatic, I can't wait for the first land mark case involving a fatality from one of these death traps!
It will happen in the course of time and will likely be anticlimatic with some drunken idiot driving his car into a stationary autonomous vehicle. That is what will bring the end to human drivers. The 10 to 1 accident statistics will rapidly kill non autonomous vehicles.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
It will happen in the course of time and will likely be anticlimatic with some drunken idiot driving his car into a stationary autonomous vehicle. That is what will bring the end to human drivers. The 10 to 1 accident statistics will rapidly kill non autonomous vehicles.
OR the software failing, or the hardware freezing, component failure, not seeing the bridge it just drove of of? There's way TOO many ways that toy car could kill the occupants or other motorists when it gets a bug on the lens and can't see the oncoming truck!
Common sense will occur to MANY of us, that there's no technology worth putting our lives completely at its disposal. I myself, am NOT stupid enough to get in one ...ever. I am a driver, and I will drive.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:11 AM

11,362 posts, read 6,783,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Computers can already do thousands of calculations per second. This will be no issue for them at all.
Assuming (Remember, the word "assume" consists of making an "ass" out of "U'" and "me") that the system can be backed up by a huge database that can cover the situations like the one in my previous post; and those locations will run into the tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands. The need to adjust for many more variables -- everything from weight distribution to current weather -- will make Mapquest and Expedia seem puny in comparison.

I reiterate -- the ideas behind self-driving vehicles are sound -- but the obstacle of accomodating it to a very wide variety of local and individual concerns will be very challenging, and the immediate (and substantial) economic gains revolve arund first installing it in a handful of venues to which it would be fairly well-suited.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-07-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Assuming (Remember, the word "assume" consists of making an "ass" out of "U'" and "me") that the system can be backed up by a huge database that can cover the situations like the one in my previous post; and those locations will run int othe tens, perhaps hundreds of thousands. The need to adjust for many more variables -- everything from weight distribution to current weather -- will make Mapquest and Expedia seem puny in comparison.

I reiterate -- the ideas behind self-driving vehicles are sound -- but the obstacle of accomodating it to a very wide variety of local and individual concerns will be very challenging, and the immediate (and substantial) economic gains revolve arund first installing it in a handful of venues to which it would be fairly well-suited.
Computers are quite capable of millions and millions of transactions in a second even in a relatively small system.

The databases will easily encompass all of the physical attributes of official roads in the US. The situation described in your original post would be explicitly included. It is actually the easy part...the fixed physical road ways. The definition may get hazier on dirt, gravel and private roads but there is still pretty good information.

The vehicles also have considerable ability to handle roadways on their own. They can identify and track the road ahead of them. They have a great advantage over a human. They know what they can determine and simply slow down if their is ambiguity. Humans don't do that.

It is also quite likely that the system will feed back the actual experience of any car on a route. Deviants from expected would be the primary target.

Systems that quickly update from actual experience or planned deviations would exist. This is probably the most challenging part of such a system. How do you get quick but accurate updates to all who need to know?

And again any time in doubt the autonomous car simply slows down or stops. In some cases it will likely be a nuisance...but it won't let you get killed.

To our friend the driver...you cannot of course fly on any of the more sophisticated airplanes. Cat III landings are made only by computer. Pilots are forbidden to do anything but call it off. You can of course still take the boat to Europe.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Computers are quite capable of millions and millions of transactions in a second even in a relatively small system.

The databases will easily encompass all of the physical attributes of official roads in the US. The situation described in your original post would be explicitly included. It is actually the easy part...the fixed physical road ways. The definition may get hazier on dirt, gravel and private roads but there is still pretty good information.

The vehicles also have considerable ability to handle roadways on their own. They can identify and track the road ahead of them. They have a great advantage over a human. They know what they can determine and simply slow down if their is ambiguity. Humans don't do that.

It is also quite likely that the system will feed back the actual experience of any car on a route. Deviants from expected would be the primary target.

Systems that quickly update from actual experience or planned deviations would exist. This is probably the most challenging part of such a system. How do you get quick but accurate updates to all who need to know?

And again any time in doubt the autonomous car simply slows down or stops. In some cases it will likely be a nuisance...but it won't let you get killed.

To our friend the driver...you cannot of course fly on any of the more sophisticated airplanes. Cat III landings are made only by computer. Pilots are forbidden to do anything but call it off. You can of course still take the boat to Europe.
Some of us do NOT fly, or take cruises for those very reasons, and have no need or desire to do so.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:38 AM

26,886 posts, read 38,133,169 times
And in 20 years you'll be stuck in the house unless you walk everywhere...

Old 06-09-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And in 20 years you'll be stuck in the house unless you walk everywhere...
Well he may be able to bike...though probably have to carry a local beacon to use the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or