U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,517,992 times
Reputation: 2423

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well he may be able to bike...though probably have to carry a local beacon to use the roads.
Wrong again, this is not a debate you'll win. I'll be driving as usual and using a MAP when needed. You just enjoy your little autonomous go carts, because we will still be out there, like it or not.
a beacon my a$$ ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2014, 05:24 PM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,517,992 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And in 20 years you'll be stuck in the house unless you walk everywhere...
I think you're high!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 05:27 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,154,435 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Wrong again, this is not a debate you'll win. I'll be driving as usual and using a MAP when needed. You just enjoy your little autonomous go carts, because we will still be out there, like it or not.
a beacon my a$$ ....
You ought to check with Tracy Morgan and see his views on high quality professional human drivers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,517,992 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You ought to check with Tracy Morgan and see his views on high quality professional human drivers...
That crap means NOTHING to me. Go back to your robo's...
Btw, IF you read the WHOLE story, the other driver hadn't slept for 24 hours ... I'm not stupid enough to drive on NO sleep, so Be gone ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 06:30 PM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,517,992 times
Reputation: 2423
Survey: Most drivers won't buy an autonomous car - MSN Autos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 10:15 PM
 
26,917 posts, read 38,175,573 times
Reputation: 34869
You miss the point. In 20/30 years there won't be a choice. Our way (autonomous) or the sidewalk. The feds will mandate it. I doubt I'll be here to see it. If I am I doubt I'll be in any condition to drive so I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 03:07 AM
Yac
 
5,875 posts, read 6,296,447 times
Guys, this is the science forum, not politics. You actually don't have to fight, you can agree to disagree. You can have different opinions. Try it, it's great. Much better than calling each other names over opinions on the future of cars.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 04:00 AM
 
Location: northwest Illinois
2,331 posts, read 2,517,992 times
Reputation: 2423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You miss the point. In 20/30 years there won't be a choice. Our way (autonomous) or the sidewalk. The feds will mandate it. I doubt I'll be here to see it. If I am I doubt I'll be in any condition to drive so I don't care.
No, YOU miss the the point!! DO you have ANY idea how many people out here enjoy driving?? **** on the feds!!
They are NOT going to quit and neither am I so KEEP dreaming TF.

Last edited by midwest61021; 06-10-2014 at 04:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Nescopeck, Penna.
11,388 posts, read 6,803,935 times
Reputation: 14458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Guys, this is the science forum, not politics. You actually don't have to fight, you can agree to disagree. You can have different opinions. Try it, it's great. Much better than calling each other names over opinions on the future of cars.
Yac.
I tend to agree, but I think it's important to recognize that the concept of a "self-driving car" carries a lot of the same promise, and the same threat, as the 2-way television prophesied in George Orwell's "1984" and I regret to say that that unsettling scenario is edging closer to the realm of possibility.

Over the past century, technology has provided mankind with several innovations which have increased both mobility and access to information -- the most prominent among them being the motor vehicle, the telephone. and the computer.

All of these developments have been subject to increasing "personalization" in recent years, and all of them have raised increasing concern among that segment of society which, for some reason this writer will never understand, thinks Big Brother can do a better job, and has the right to interfere.

I would remind the other participants here that interference in the access to these tools was central to the power-structure of repressive regimes throughout history -- the strict control and monitoring of long-distance telephony in the former Soviet Union being a prominent example, but one not noticed or called attention to nearly enough.

Serious attempts by centralized authority to regulate or impede travel in one's personal vehicle would likely bring an even stronger backlash than the current controversy over gun rights -- and it's my deep concern that the apparent passivity displayed by some of the male graduates of our over-sensitized and over-feminized "educational" / idoctrinational system is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 06:41 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,154,435 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I tend to agree, but I think it's important to recognize that the concept of a "self-driving car" carries a lot of the same promise, and the same threat, as the 2-way television prophesied in George Orwell's "1984" and I regret to say that that unsettling scenario is edging closer to the realm of possibility.

Over the past century, technology has provided mankind with several innovations which have increased both mobility and access to information -- the most prominent among them being the motor vehicle, the telephone. and the computer.

All of these developments have been subject to increasing "personalization" in recent years, and all of them have raised increasing concern among that segment of society which, for some reason this writer will never understand, thinks Big Brother can do a better job, and has the right to interfere.

I would remind the other participants here that interference in the access to these tools was central to the power-structure of repressive regimes throughout history -- the strict control and monitoring of long-distance telephony in the former Soviet Union being a prominent example, but one not noticed or called attention to nearly enough.

Serious attempts by centralized authority to regulate or impede travel in one's personal vehicle would likely bring an even stronger backlash than the current controversy over gun rights -- and it's my deep concern that the apparent passivity displayed by some of the male graduates of our over-sensitized and over-feminized "educational" / idoctrinational system is growing.
This is not a government permissive thing. It is a fact. The autonomous vehicles will provide a new level of sqfety. Here is a piece from the NY Times estimating that even the more basic additions to the auto will provide as big an impact to safety as seat belts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/10/up...pgtype=article

Down the pike a ways it will become far more troublesome as the machines begin to do things that people can't. And these things will result in traffic that moves to a different set of rules.

There will certainly be a trasistion period of some years when autonomous and manual exist together. But over time lanes will be restricted and then roads...eventually there simply will be no where you can drive by hand.

The state will be the enforcement mechanism as it is today. Nothing new there. And there will be gnashing of teeth. But like the horse it will not work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top