U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 10:12 PM

26,948 posts, read 38,201,283 times

Advertisements

And all the fools who have to dial and text and put on makeup can do so without endangering the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 03:25 PM

11,401 posts, read 6,809,992 times
The Mom of a friend of mine was watching Katie Couric's TV "potboiler" today, and some bouncy-gushy supposed "expert" was predicting commercial production of self-driving vehicles "in five years".

Five years --- really?????????????????

Now I don't doubt that five years from now, there will have been some more progress. maybe enough for a true "pilot program", but under carefully-controlled conditions.

But that's a far cry from the expectations Ms. Couric is building among her tea-time audience. The problem isn't the technical gadgets and software itself -- the problem is one of adapting them to the millions of miles of lightly-used road (much of it poorly maintained), and sparsely settled areas that will have a hard time justifying the programming and related expenses. Setting up a nationwide self-driving network would make building the interstate system, or the cable and cellular network. seem like an afternoon in the sandbox by comparison

To paraphrase Sir Walter Scott

Oh what a tangled web they weave; when the facts don't match what we perceive.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-25-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM

789 posts, read 703,633 times
Something like 50000 people die in car accidents a year. People suck at driving. This will be a great life saving new technology. I'm sure insurance companies will fight it for as long as they can, because we won't need accident insurance any longer. Also cops and lawyers and judges stand to lose a ton of money, no more traffic court, no speeding tickets.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:11 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
I saw this video so I had to post it as the technology is here now!

Old 07-03-2014, 04:15 PM

32,168 posts, read 39,263,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
Something like 50000 people die in car accidents a year. People suck at driving. This will be a great life saving new technology. I'm sure insurance companies will fight it for as long as they can, because we won't need accident insurance any longer. Also cops and lawyers and judges stand to lose a ton of money, no more traffic court, no speeding tickets.
Actually the number is closer to 30000, half as a result of being drunk/drugged.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812034.pdf

Old 08-02-2014, 01:56 AM

24 posts, read 67,898 times
It is a good idea to make robots, who can drive as a human. I have no doubt on technology, I think everything is possible when it comes to technology and science. Recently I know about a bulb which have a voice recognition device and it can switch when you say vocca switch light, I am impressed by it. If I'll ever have the option then I'll select a robot car drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or