U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,102 posts, read 20,372,219 times
Reputation: 4132

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb933-lon View Post
I'd say about 5 years of self-driving cars on the roads with a flawless performance record and zero accidents, and the insurance companies will price liability coverage for FLAWED human drivers like you right off the streets, Gramps!

That is a good point. I mean in a few years after driverless cars and if they have caused no accidents I am sure the cost to insure them will go down dramatically.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2014, 11:28 AM
 
56 posts, read 245,256 times
Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is a good point. I mean in a few years after driverless cars and if they have caused no accidents I am sure the cost to insure them will go down dramatically.
It's going to become extremely cheap for accidents involving only self-driving vehicles, although the chance of those accidents will be very low.

Insurance companies will love to cover property damage only --- compared to the millions of dollars they have to pay out when permanent disability or death of humans is involved.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,102 posts, read 20,372,219 times
Reputation: 4132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb933-lon View Post
It's going to become extremely cheap for accidents involving only self-driving vehicles, although the chance of those accidents will be very low.

Insurance companies will love to cover property damage only --- compared to the millions of dollars they have to pay out when permanent disability or death of humans is involved.
True. One more reason to get them ASAP.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:16 PM
 
1,692 posts, read 1,911,307 times
Reputation: 1012
I dont think anyone has raised this issue about Driverless Cars in this thread. But it is a major AI/ programming challenge.

Say you are in a Google Car, when suddenly a child runs onto the street. The car has two options:

(1) swerve to avoid hitting the child, but in the process cause the passenger injury and hit other car(s)
OR
(2) hit the child.

What does the Google Car do?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:18 PM
 
1,692 posts, read 1,911,307 times
Reputation: 1012
^^ here is something similar.
Your car is speeding along a bridge at fifty miles per hour when errant school bus carrying forty innocent children crosses its path. Should your car swerve, possibly risking the life of its owner (you), in order to save the children, or keep going, putting all forty kids at risk? If the decision must be made in milliseconds, the computer will have to make the call.
Google’s Driver-less Car and Morality : The New Yorker

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25861214

Last edited by sandman249; 05-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: added link
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Ohio
14,336 posts, read 12,598,005 times
Reputation: 19057
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Kids are gone, I'm still healthy and physically fit at 53, so none of that's going to concern me for a long time. So I'll STILL be driving when you're BEING driven! Enjoy your junk.
At 60, I am not that far ahead of you.......if and when the day ever comes that I can no longer safely drive.......I will gladly take advantage of a self-driving car........you go ahead.....be stubborn.... and sit on the porch waiting for your ride to show up......if and when your day ever comes.

Yes, I will enjoy my "junk" car..... and going wherever I want to go, whenever I want to go.

Hope you enjoy your rocking chair......while waiting for your ride.....whenever they decide to take you where you want to go.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 02:44 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,163,054 times
Reputation: 5398
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
^^ here is something similar.
Your car is speeding along a bridge at fifty miles per hour when errant school bus carrying forty innocent children crosses its path. Should your car swerve, possibly risking the life of its owner (you), in order to save the children, or keep going, putting all forty kids at risk? If the decision must be made in milliseconds, the computer will have to make the call.
Google’s Driver-less Car and Morality : The New Yorker

BBC News - A Point of View: The ethics of the driverless car
We over complex these things. One simply minimizes the energy involved. In general you don't allow any energy to go into a collision. And if the crash is inevitable the algorithm tries to make it as gentle as possible.

And you never really identify the content of the target. You don't now and you likely won't then. Things are already ballistic when they dawn on the conscience mind.

Note the machine hes a much, much better shot qt this then the human. It identifies the risk and more about it way sooner.

And in fact I would think school buses and such will be among the first marked and integrated into the system even if not full automated.

After some initial period the thing will be so good that collisions will become very rare and will be driven by rare events...a boulder rolls randomly down a hill. A tornado throws you a block. Lightning assassinates the main control. No ethics...just pray.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Wartrace,TN
5,287 posts, read 8,245,858 times
Reputation: 10390
I would welcome self driving cars. Self driving cars would be a godsend to elderly Americans that would otherwise have to go to an assisted living center when they could no longer drive safely. Also it would eliminate the very dangerous period in an elderly drivers life where they can't drive anymore but still try. My grandfather wrecked two cars in a period of one month before we took his keys. He pulled right out in front of another driver in both cases.

I would like a self driving car for several reasons;
1) The time I spend driving is wasted. If I could be productive on my way to a destination it would be wonderful.
2) A self driving RV would be really great. If you could go back to the bedroom and sleep while the vehicle motors down the road think how much more you could see on your typical vacation.
3) If everybody had one we could cut down on highway deaths. Too drunk to drive? The car will get you home. Distracted by your cell phone or texting? Tired and falling asleep at the wheel?
4) Long commute? You could eat breakfast, shave or whatever during the morning drive.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 04:03 PM
 
33,176 posts, read 39,170,150 times
Reputation: 28528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I dont think anyone has raised this issue about Driverless Cars in this thread. But it is a major AI/ programming challenge.

Say you are in a Google Car, when suddenly a child runs onto the street. The car has two options:

(1) swerve to avoid hitting the child, but in the process cause the passenger injury and hit other car(s)
OR
(2) hit the child.

What does the Google Car do?
The sensors the car is equipped with will probably be able to spot that kid and by his speed and direction determine a collision with the car is imminent the car will respond to the situation long before a human driven car would have even known a kid was about to run into the road..
Obviously the system wont be 100% perfect and we could do the what if scenario all night long, IMO the number of fatalities on the highways will be far fewer than the current numbers of around 40K deaths per year..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2014, 04:09 PM
 
1,692 posts, read 1,911,307 times
Reputation: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The sensors the car is equipped with will probably be able to spot that kid and by his speed and direction determine a collision with the car is imminent the car will respond to the situation long before a human driven car would have even known a kid was about to run into the road..
Obviously the system wont be 100% perfect and we could do the what if scenario all night long, IMO the number of fatalities on the highways will be far fewer than the current numbers of around 40K deaths per year..
That's not what I was talking about. I am not sure what cars sensors have to do what I stated -
Say you have two options: (1) driving off a bridge or (2) hitting a school bus full of children. How the the Self-driving car choose?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top