U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:39 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,583,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
And as far as corporations doing dirty deeds to keep their profits, I'd be a fool not to realize that! Especially with oil companies, they have a vested interest in time, money, land, and equipment to protect. It is easier for them to 'keep the machine rolling', and get the maximum dollar value out of what they have, than to abandon it to a new technology.
But now thy run the risk of someone else patenting it and developing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 08:38 AM

1,657 posts, read 1,679,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
A Ron Paul fanatic. I should have known.

That explains a great deal indeed.
So says the guy who's neighbors with Sarah Palin. Can you also see Russia from your back porch, or would it be the front porch?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,771,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Oh, and it is well known that Rockefeller bought and tore down Tesla's Wardenclyffe free energy generator before it could be made fully operational.
Wardenclyffe was halted because Tesla lied to his investors about its purpose.

You need to stick to credible sources when doing your research, instead of relying on conspiracy sites.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:52 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,318,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post

So, how about this. You go build one of these. If you can really generate 10 kW of energy for every 1 kW of input, sell the excess and build more. Eventually you'll be a billionaire.
There's a limit? You can only sell so much energy to 5 billion people?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 AM

16,946 posts, read 51,654,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Wardenclyffe was halted because Tesla lied to his investors about its purpose.

You need to stick to credible sources when doing your research, instead of relying on conspiracy sites.
Cite? FWIW, Wardenclyffe likely would have created all sorts of problems if it had been built and worked as designed, not the least of which would have been limiting or severely impacting radio communication.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM

1,657 posts, read 1,679,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
for what it's worth, this is pseudoscience because it uses scientific terms and concepts but not the scientific method. There does not appear to be any actual science going on. You use words like, "electro-magnetic forces of the earth" but don't use them in a scientific way. It's not just you--no one demonstrates anything that any credible scientist would consider evidence.
Setting up an experiment and testing it to see what the results are sure sounds like the scientific method to me.

Here's a nice little chart to help you out:

Quote:
There are two possible reasons given, one by the "regular scientists" that this is a scam and the other that there is a vast international conspiracy to keep inventions that would make literally trillions of dollars hidden from the public.
The bold part proves that you have no idea how the world actually works. It's not about how much money this device would make, it's about how much less money, power and influence a certain segment of the 1% would have after such a discovery was made public.

There is no way the 1% would be able to maintain their dominant web of global economic control and influence if a device like this became mainstream, and they know it. For them, it's all about preserving their position at the top of the pyramid.

Quote:
Well, sort of hidden. Only available to those with access to the internet and a strong dislike for the second law of thermodynamics.
It has already been stated that it doesn't violate the second law, try to keep up.

Quote:
So, how about this. You go build one of these. If you can really generate 10 kW of energy for every 1 kW of input, sell the excess and build more. Eventually you'll be a billionaire.
There ARE people building them and testing them at this moment. And their goals aren't to become super-rich but to spread the wealth of extremely cheap energy to the the rest of the world. So I'm pretty confident that we WILL find out if this works and is viable soon enough.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:19 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,583,320 times
Quote:

The bold part proves that you have no idea how the world actually works. It's not about how much money this device would make, it's about how much less money, power and influence a certain segment of the 1% would have after such a discovery was made public.

There is no way the 1% would be able to maintain their dominant web of global economic control and influence if a device like this became mainstream, and they know it. For them, it's all about preserving their position at the top of the pyramid.
Again this would suggest that only the engineers and scientists of the rich and wealthy have made the discovery to date. The rich and wealthy and going to shelve it after spending money on R&D and not cash in on the discovery. They are able to keep everyone involved with the project quiet. Last but not least they are opening themselves up to someone else making the discovery, patenting it and developing it for market thus leaving them to the dust bin of history since their business is no longer viable.

That's a bit of stretch don't you think?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM

3,528 posts, read 4,401,224 times
Quote:
Setting up an experiment and testing it to see what the results are sure sounds like the scientific method to me.
I didn't see any experiment. I've seen a lot of pictures and explanations posing as experiments, but nothing that an outside observer would classify as a rigorous experiment.

Quote:

I can't argue against conspiracy theories. I'd like to argue on the merits of this invention but have yet to find any source that can offer a decent, physics-based explanation. It doesn't help that my constant skepticism is met with disdain rather than answers. As it is, no one credible believes this invention. If the inventors want (or their proponents) want to change that, they'll have to start answering tough questions

I'm guessing you've never tried to publish a scientific paper, but even for simple, non-controversial stuff reviewers and editors can be extremely skeptical and critical. For inventions that counteract centuries of established experiments the bar is EXTREMELY HIGH.

Of course, the inventors of things like this probably aren't familiar with the scientific process, either, and so the conflate this extreme level of skepticism with a vast conspiracy. There may be a vast conspiracy, but no one has demonstrated enough for their to need to be one yet.

Quote:
It has already been stated that it doesn't violate the second law, try to keep up.
Just because you say it doesn't violate the 2nd law doesn't mean that you've demonstrated it. You need to keep up, because the reference was to the COP (coefficient of performance) which applies to heat pumps. This does not appear to be a heat pump, so why is the COP being used? Until you answer I'll just assume that it was a pseduo-explanation used to confuse people who don't know that much.

Quote:
There ARE people building them and testing them at this moment. And their goals aren't to become super-rich but to spread the wealth of extremely cheap energy to the the rest of the world. So I'm pretty confident that we WILL find out if this works and is viable soon enough.
Good. If it really works there should be large swaths of the country that suddenly start producing Gigawatts and Terawatts of their own energy. Until then, though, I'll remain a skeptic. If it does happen, though, I will gladly admit that it was a feasible invention (albeit one that was not well explained).

Would you care to put a date on when you'd be willing to admit this doesn't work? 2015? 2016?

Old 05-05-2014, 04:24 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,771,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Cite?
One (or more) of the several books about him that I've read. Sorry, not everything is online, and I can't cite exactly which book & page I read it on. I've been a "fan" of Tesla since I became aware of him when I was 17, and have read many, many things about him.

The Wardenclyffe project was backed by JP Morgan, who was told that it was going to be a transmission tower for transatlantic communication. Morgan cut off the money when he found out that Tesla was building it to distribute electricity. There's no money in free electricity.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:12 PM

16,946 posts, read 51,654,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
One (or more) of the several books about him that I've read. Sorry, not everything is online, and I can't cite exactly which book & page I read it on. I've been a "fan" of Tesla since I became aware of him when I was 17, and have read many, many things about him.

The Wardenclyffe project was backed by JP Morgan, who was told that it was going to be a transmission tower for transatlantic communication. Morgan cut off the money when he found out that Tesla was building it to distribute electricity. There's no money in free electricity.
OK thanks. I'll have to drag my books on him out. That gives me enough to start searching on. I would never take what Morgan claimed to be a motive as his real motive without checking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or