U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM

546 posts, read 393,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
One (or more) of the several books about him that I've read. Sorry, not everything is online, and I can't cite exactly which book & page I read it on. I've been a "fan" of Tesla since I became aware of him when I was 17, and have read many, many things about him.

The Wardenclyffe project was backed by JP Morgan, who was told that it was going to be a transmission tower for transatlantic communication. Morgan cut off the money when he found out that Tesla was building it to distribute electricity. There's no money in free electricity.
True. Morgan didn't want to have anything to do with something that he couldn't collect on. A sad excuse for a man. When Tesla told him that anyone anywhere could tap the electricity being sent out by Wardenclyffe, Morgan simply asked, "And how do I meter it?". He then cut off all funding to Tesla's project, and it died. Tesla also powered an automobile with some batteries, and two wires that were connected to a black box. It reached speeds of 90 MPH. When asked about it, he said that it tapped a mysterious radiation that comes from the aether. People got nervous about this and called it a superstitious "black box", and Tesla removed the box, took it home and never again spoke of it.

Tesla made his biggest life mistake in partnering with Morgan. Tesla died broke and alone, and when his relatives came to collect his remains, all his work had been removed by the US Gov't and deemed "secret". Tesla obviously had come across some tremendous (and threatening) things.

Tesla also wanted to make a "flying machine" that would not have engines or wings, and have an internal source of power, and that it could hover indefinitely and not be buffeted by wind or storm. This reminds me of Ed Leedskalin who built Florida's Coral Castle. He managed to easily construct his home from coral stones weighing tons each, yet he would never tell anyone how he did it. He once had to move the whole place to a different location because the neighbors constantly harassed him. He hired a flatbed truck and had the driver leave every time he loaded it. Without any help, Leedskalin would load these stones weighing up to 10 tons, and when the driver would come back and the truck was loaded. The only thing he left behind was some sort of a device that he said he used to move the stones, and he said if he had a rocket to place it on, his device could send him to Pluto for lunch. He was another person that was investigating the power of the electromagnetics of the earth. He died with his secret. Someday, we'll know what it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:32 PM

16,916 posts, read 51,541,974 times
Thread drift warning - I've been to Coral Castle a few times and have a copy of Ed's little book. I'm reasonably certain he used chain and sand and a small engine to cut the coral blocks. In situ, coral is wet and weak and fairly easily shaped or cut. It is stronger once out of the earth. There was also a fair amount of block and tackle around. His book is more weird ramblings than anything. The only "electrical device" there was a crude hand crank magneto. Got a few pics of it that I took around here somewhere. He was playing around with that, but the stone work was much more likely simple physics and a hit-n-miss engine. Thoroughly impressive though, especially considering how tiny he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or