U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,821,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Agreed. I mean imagine what the impact will be when we can read and understand the entire knowledge of the human race in a few minutes? We will be just as smart as any AI and that is what Hawkings does not take into account.
I don't think many people will want to transform themselves to that extent .......

.......... not unless there is a perpetual mood elevator and the capacity for artificial orgasms at will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:42 AM

33,170 posts, read 39,157,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
will Al be so smart that it can dig up all the information on its own?

Thats the danger.When the artificial intelligence starts thinking for itself it will be only a matter of time before the AI starts questioning the need or relevance of the humans and perhaps think it would be better to rid the world of these pesky humans so it can go on to fulfill its own reason for being unimpeded.

I think some serious study should be undertaken on the issue..

Old 05-05-2014, 12:08 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,735,508 times
The more I think about it, the less I like it. Imagine missing all the fun of learning - questioning, investigating, testing, discovering, surprises on every page and new knowledge at the end of the journey. Have you ever seen the radiant smile on a child's face when he finally gets it? Do you ever have that feeling yourself even years later? I'd hate to lose that. Maybe we can't stop it but that's a pity. There will be no use for humans unless we become the servants of Al. We can just stay dumb and let Al tell us which broom to use on which floor. NO!!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 12:29 PM

477 posts, read 376,092 times
we are a lot farther from hardware upgrades to our wetware than a mere 16 years.

I'd be surprised to see any real movement in that arena in even 100 years. There is simply too much we do not know about the human brain.

Even AI is nowhere near the "transcendence" point. I'm sorry, but self-driving cars are a far cry from actual intelligence. We can't even emulate so much as a pigeon yet, let alone an evil genius that wants to take over the world.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:33 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,735,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
we are a lot farther from hardware upgrades to our wetware than a mere 16 years.

I'd be surprised to see any real movement in that arena in even 100 years. There is simply too much we do not know about the human brain.

Even AI is nowhere near the "transcendence" point. I'm sorry, but self-driving cars are a far cry from actual intelligence. We can't even emulate so much as a pigeon yet, let alone an evil genius that wants to take over the world.
And thank goodness for that. Yes?

Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,821,987 times
Quote:

Maybe if technology only advances in a straight line - but as Josseppie has so often reminded us, it is currently accelerating.

But that depends on the world situation to continue ...... it may be that soon all science and technology will be mainly funded for military and police applications. Or there might be a worldwide depression, a deep one, which will close the purse strings for research.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
The more I think about it, the less I like it. Imagine missing all the fun of learning - questioning, investigating, testing, discovering, surprises on every page and new knowledge at the end of the journey. Have you ever seen the radiant smile on a child's face when he finally gets it? Do you ever have that feeling yourself even years later? I'd hate to lose that. Maybe we can't stop it but that's a pity. There will be no use for humans unless we become the servants of Al. We can just stay dumb and let Al tell us which broom to use on which floor. NO!!!!
The thing is we will merge with the technology and still learn. It will just be a pace much faster then ever before in the history of civilization.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:

The thing is information technology advances exponentially so that is why we will see AI smarter then the unaided human by 2030 and also why we will merge with the technology by then too to keep up with it. In fact I have already seen the beginning of it now and it's only 2014.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:57 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,772,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The thing is we will merge with the technology and still learn. It will just be a pace much faster then ever before in the history of civilization.
So which is it? Merging with technology? Or merging with AI technology?

Old 05-05-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
So which is it? Merging with technology? Or merging with AI technology?
Merging with technology. That will allow us to keep up with AI once it becomes more intelligent then the unaided human. Honestly I think post 2030 that will be just as important if not more so then a college degree today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology