U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM

2,477 posts, read 2,733,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As someone who works in technology we are not there yet unless someone with enough endeavors gives machines the means to make decisions.

Every piece of software code and machinery design still requires some human interaction, nobody has gone far enough to give a machine the means to analyze and decide.

Fully automation is achievable only if the creator wants a self learning and adaptable system. Currently no design is adaptable and with limited learning capacity.

Watson the super computer is an example. It's faster and smarter than majority of humans when it comes to analyzing and interpreting questions and finding answers but it is not given the capacity to understand what the answers mean. Once a system is designed to understand answers and questions and process then we have achieved AI.
Are you sure? There are days when I'd swear this computer is taking charge and doing as it pleases regardless of what I select. And I am at least half serious there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,362,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As someone who works in technology we are not there yet unless someone with enough endeavors gives machines the means to make decisions.

Every piece of software code and machinery design still requires some human interaction, nobody has gone far enough to give a machine the means to analyze and decide.

Fully automation is achievable only if the creator wants a self learning and adaptable system. Currently no design is adaptable and with limited learning capacity.

Watson the super computer is an example. It's faster and smarter than majority of humans when it comes to analyzing and interpreting questions and finding answers but it is not given the capacity to understand what the answers mean. Once a system is designed to understand answers and questions and process then we have achieved AI.
We are not there yet but since information technology advances exponential we will be there by 2030, only 16 years away.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM

125 posts, read 121,272 times
How about as a global civilization we put all our efforts into a few things:

1) 3d printing that will become a food generator that can manipulate molecules into any food
2) a real energy source. we are going to have AI before we have a cell phone battery that can last 3 days.

These 2 things can go a long way to reducing the stress on the earth and on our wallets. Instead the world seems out to create technology that will put 40% of the population out of work. Correct me if I am wrong, the population is still increasing, so how does technology that reduces jobs help?

Old 05-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post

1) 3d printing that will become a food generator that can manipulate molecules into any food
2) a real energy source. we are going to have AI before we have a cell phone battery that can last 3 days.

These 2 things can go a long way to reducing the stress on the earth and on our wallets. Instead the world seems out to create technology that will put 40% of the population out of work. Correct me if I am wrong, the population is still increasing, so how does technology that reduces jobs help?
Have we ever put our money where it was really needed? I don't think so. We can't even fix our crumbling infrastructure which would put a lot of people to work. But then, they'd still be calling for new technology that made them have to work less. Human psychology.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,362,717 times
Quote:

We could put more money into those area for R&D and it won't help as they are information technology and can advance only so fast.

Plus its not one technology that is replacing the jobs but all of it including solar and 3D printers. So as technology advances we will see it replacing jobs and soon unless we merge with the technology then we will not be able to get a job. Or at the very least it will be much harder.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 PM

125 posts, read 121,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Have we ever put our money where it was really needed? I don't think so. We can't even fix our crumbling infrastructure which would put a lot of people to work. But then, they'd still be calling for new technology that made them have to work less. Human psychology.
things have been garbage for so long, and I see nobody in power willing to take the first step. Agreed you can add to my simple list, a technology geared for a long lasting infrastructure.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:41 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,613,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
AI will make it necessary for humans to merge with technology and that will happen in 16 years not hundreds. So in a way your are right as AI will be one reason humans will have to change because we will not be able to survive if we do not.
There are plenty of people in the world today who are surviving without any real exposure to even the 20th century. and have no access to electricity, motorized transport, or treated water. Are you saying that within 16 years, the entire planet will be subject to a single authoritarian system, from which nobody will have escaped? And the standard of living in Yemen and Burkina Faso will be exactly the same as in Switzerland and Singapore? Will AI robots wander every corner of the earth, capturing people and implanting chips into them by force?

Unless by "we", you mean people like yourself, who have the economic resources to opt into such a profitable system of elite self-interest, and coerce all your suburban neighbors to join in, and then continue on your present pace of excluding all the rest of the world from the largesse and leaving them to just die so you and your kind can have all the wealth, because the normal paradigm of slavery or bonded servitude will be obsolete. If you do, you will have the rest of us to deal with, and I hope you have a strong stomach for that. Because you have the choice to be on one side or the other.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:43 PM

11,831 posts, read 7,714,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
We are not there yet but since information technology advances exponential we will be there by 2030, only 16 years away.
AI in IT will likely reduce IT's workforce further to only advanced programmers and engineers. Much of those in IT that pushes paper will be outsourced or eliminated by then. Much of the web today is interactive by clicking and inputting info, by 2030. The web will be intelligent enough that it won't require all these inputs and will rely on voice recognition and AI to understand what you need as an interface.

Watson proved that you can get the info you need by telling it what is it you are looking for.

Quote:

Much of our food supply does come from automation we just don't know it. Much of the produce that we get like lettuce is grown and farmed on a conveyer belt system fully automated.

Technology can solve a lot of problems but society needs to figure out what to do with greed. Greed is good for now but what if automation can feed everyone and nobody needs to harvest or work to have food on the table.

Would companies give away food and make it cheaper or they'll keep forcing people to pay more for less and less work and resource on their end.

Like in Star Trek world, once the concept of money and greed goes away people reprogrammed to contribute to further or advance civilization there automation such as AI can exist.

I think that is what worries Stephen Hawkins.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:03 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,606,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
He's not behind the times - he's still making active contributions to physics, still publishing. You can't do that without knowing a thing or two about computation which is so important in testing hypotheses.

He's right about the dangers of artificial intelligence ...... what use would a computer which is a million times more brainy than a human have for people, if it has robots to carry out its mining and manufacturing?

We're within a few decades of simulating or improving a human brain's thought processes ...... what's to stop it from becoming ever more efficient as it re-designs itself more quickly than it was designed? Or simply to expand itself a million times, and link the subunits.
Stephen Hawking is right about the dangers of Artificial Intelligence. However, we are no where near the point where AI is a possibility.

What the overwhelming majority are calling AI is actually an "Expert System" and not intelligent at all. Expert Systems are very good at performing one, and only one, task. Such as diagnosing a medical condition, or driving a vehicle, etc. AI is much more than an Expert System. AI implies that it can be used to solve a wide variety of issues, not just perform a single task.

Expert system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-06-2014, 03:05 PM

A World Digital Library Is Coming True! by Robert Darnton | The New York Review of Books

Just one example of what Al could do - with a little help from those in charge. Libraries and the public are paying the price now for good technology information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology