U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:09 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,838,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
So why are you bringing it up in this forum yet again?
And....ignored...just like in plwhit's real life, not the imaginary one that he creates online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Same reason we are still having arguments about Noah and the literal story of the flood. People who have a political motive to refuse to see reason.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,355,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Same reason we are still having arguments about Noah and the literal story of the flood. People who have a political motive to refuse to see reason.
I think you see that on both extremes. I mean they say we need to be significantly off fossil fuels by 2030 and when I point out that we will and show them the proof they do not want to look it it.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:33 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,297,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
....and show them the proof they do not want to look it it.
I'll take the EIA projections over the word of some blogger any day. They have just a little bit more experience in this field.

Again even if the panels themselves are cheap it's supplementary unless you have storage capacity and that introduces many more $$$$$ and inefficiencies.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'll take the EIA projections over the word of some blogger any day. They have just a little bit more experience in this field.

Again even if the panels themselves are cheap it's supplementary unless you have storage capacity and that introduces many more $$$$$ and inefficiencies.
I am not sure what you are referring to as its not any blogger who is saying this but most of the studies. I've posted links in it but if you did not see them I can post them again. In fact by 2030, the date we need to be significantly off fossil fuels according to a recent report, solar will be 50% cheaper then fossil fuels. That is good news as that will be the reason we will be significantly off foss fuels and on solar. Personally I plan on being on solar by 2020.

Edit: if you go back to the 12 post I have 2 links that show what I am posting about.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-20-2014 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Edit: if you go back to the 12 post I have 2 links that show what I am posting about.

One is an article and another is blog. They both quote figures from the solar industry. You can find claims like this from the solar industry going back decades.

On the other hand the EIA provides independent analysis that by law has to be non partisan. If you think fossil fuels will disappear in 15 years honestly you are clueless about this topic.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:26 PM

781 posts, read 566,324 times
Quote:
In fact by 2030, the date we need to be significantly off fossil fuels
according to a recent report, solar will be 50% cheaper then fossil fuels.
Yeah we'll see.... that not happen.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
One is an article and another is blog. They both quote figures from the solar industry. You can find claims like this from the solar industry going back decades.

On the other hand the EIA provides independent analysis that by law has to be non partisan. If you think fossil fuels will disappear in 15 years honestly you are clueless about this topic.
This is exactly what people who are climate change deniers say as they do not want to look at the overwhelming evidence. If you look at the graph you can see how the cost is going down at the same rate since the 1970's. That is why I will be off solar by 2020 and it will be 50% cheaper then fossil fuels by 2030 and why at that point a significant switch will have occurred. This is not conjecture its going to happen all the models show that.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM

33,144 posts, read 39,103,690 times
Whats being said in this topic that hasnt been said in the dozens of other GWing topics?, at the moment there are at least 5 topics on GW in the politics forum,its in the Florida forum.its in the weather forum its in the Canada forum now its in the Science forum and probably in a few other forums.
Cant we just give this topic its own subforum to reduce the clutter?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
If you look at the graph you can see how the cost is going down at the same rate since the 1970's.
What I see is graph that had some great gains for few years but then almost flatlines for a few decades and then has a precipitous drop in 2009 when China starts dumping product on the market.

This graph only accounts for the cost of the panels themselves, since they can rely on fossil fuel as base power when the sun isn't shining we don't have to account for what would be huge expenses for storage. Suppose you had storage, how much are you are going to build? 1 days worth? A week? The more you build the more $$$ and you need to be able to meet demand if the sun doesn't shine for weeks. Even natural gas may face this issue because the infrastructure is not in place to meet this growing demand. You can pile coal to the moon next to a coal plant but there is only X amount of gas available to the market at any given moment. It's just like your house, you can have a small pipe if you are just running the stove but if you are running your heat and hot water a little pipe is not going to cut it. It's the same issue natioanally.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-21-2014 at 12:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or