U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:22 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,633,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
That's pretty much how I feel about them. The more I learn, the more I think they are way too sophisticated for my needs. I just want to keep an accurate record of my steps. Perhaps I should stick with my pedometer. Only problems I have with that are: (1) occasionally, I accidentally press the reset button and lose all my steps to that point; and (2) if it's not hanging perfectly horizontal on my waistband, it fails to accurately click off my steps. But I don't think it's worth $100 or more to get a fancy-schmancy device.

I have a smart phone, the smart phone has a pedometer, there is also a place to place my finger on, it will record stress, pulse or blood pressure and also will fingerprint me, I am not sure about all the features, but my cell phone can effectively do the same job as that fancy bracelet.

That little window under the camera on the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 02:02 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,065,651 times
Thought I'd bump this up to see if there are any more reviews.

I'm thinking about getting a Fit Bit Charge HR.
But for me -- given the $150 cost -- it's always the money spent versus passing fancy dilemma.

So I REALLY EALLY want to know if they're worth it, if they work well, etc.
A friend has a Flex and likes hers...

Old 05-10-2015, 10:05 PM

833 posts, read 1,493,805 times
Rather it's worth it to you or not, depends on your fitness regime and motivation. I don't think it's for everyone.

A bit of background, I didn't think I would like/needed an activity tracker, until I got the Jawbone Up24 (it was for work purposes).

I have always been very number oriented, seeing the steps, mile, sleep track and trends was a motivation for me to maintain or exceed my goal numbers. I grew to really like having an activity monitor, but over the course of a year, had to replace the Jawbone Up24 (under warranty) twice. I started shopping around for an alternative after the first failure. After the 2nd failure, I bought myself the Fitbit Charge HR.

I chose the Charge HR over the Charge because it was only $20 more, had heart rate monitor and a buckle (one of the things I hated about the Up24 design was the bangle, it got caught in stuff all the time). And I chose the Charge over the Flex because of the display (I usually wear a watch anyway, so this is replacing my watch & Up24).

I did use my phone as a pedometer while waiting for the Charge HR to arrive, which was okay, but I don't carry it around when I am at home or at work (I walk a surprising amount around the office and home).

I actually prefer the Up24's battery life, app and sleep tracking. Otherwise, I like the Charge HR. I don't know how accurate the heart rate monitoring is, but the steps are inline with what I saw on my phone's pedometer and the Up24 (when the 2nd replacement arrived). The food logging is better on the Fitbit. And I like having a web dashboard (the Up24 is just mobile app).

Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 AM

I'm leaning toward the Charge HR. But still just haven't been able to pull the trig ger on spending the money.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:45 AM

3,556 posts, read 2,333,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I'm leaning toward the Charge HR. But still just haven't been able to pull the trig ger on spending the money.
When I get out of work I think I'm going to be purchasing the Fitbit Surge (which is a charge HR but with GPS + Screen)

Old 05-12-2015, 04:18 PM

Let us know how you like it, and how it works for you....

Old 05-12-2015, 08:20 PM

3,556 posts, read 2,333,036 times
I like it!

Walk on May 12, 2015 on 05/12/2015 | RUNNING Training Log Entry | MapMyRun

Here's the stats from fitbit (couldn't share directly)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology