U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:21 AM

33,150 posts, read 39,115,002 times

Advertisements

At a global usage rate of 100 million barrels a day and rising fossil fuels are one day going to run out then we'll have no choice but to run on alternate energy sources. I'd think it not in our best interest to rely totally on fossil fuels till we pump the last drop out of the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 PM

13,175 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At a global usage rate of 100 million barrels a day and rising fossil fuels are one day going to run out then we'll have no choice but to run on alternate energy sources. I'd think it not in our best interest to rely totally on fossil fuels till we pump the last drop out of the ground.
To the best of my knowledge; we no longer smelt lead in the US: Last U.S. Lead Smelter to Close, Ammunition Manufacturing to Feel Effects. We do mine lead ore and ship it to China; which, in turn, makes products for the US.

Everybody wants to jump on 'clean' green energy. But electric cars depend on batteries, that in turn, depend on lead or other precious minerals. You cannot have it both ways.

I would still like to know what is clean and green about lead and sulfuric acid?

Old 07-02-2014, 04:15 PM

33,150 posts, read 39,115,002 times
Wonder what your take on electric cars would be if that was your only option.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,149,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
To the best of my knowledge; we no longer smelt lead in the US: Last U.S. Lead Smelter to Close, Ammunition Manufacturing to Feel Effects. We do mine lead ore and ship it to China; which, in turn, makes products for the US.

Everybody wants to jump on 'clean' green energy. But electric cars depend on batteries, that in turn, depend on lead or other precious minerals. You cannot have it both ways.

I would still like to know what is clean and green about lead and sulfuric acid?
Nothing wrong with lead and acid if done correctly. A good semiconductor plant uses all sorts of wildly dangerous and toxic material but can have virtually no waste product if well done.

Nothing wrong with using bad stuff...it to is natural...you just need to do it well.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 AM

13,175 posts, read 10,585,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Nothing wrong with lead and acid if done correctly. A good semiconductor plant uses all sorts of wildly dangerous and toxic material but can have virtually no waste product if well done.

Nothing wrong with using bad stuff...it to is natural...you just need to do it well.
Guess what; there is no such thing as correctly. Cars have accidents; battery acid and lead leaches into the soil. sometimes corporations go bankrupt and leave taxpayers with the bill and the mess. That's life.

I just don't like things like: fossil fuel bad; electricity good. Both systems have problems and both have their benefits.

It is hard for me to believe that these solar panel roads will work any better than current asphalt. Roads are not all flat or straight. Freezing precipitation comes down at different rates and sometimes requires more energy to melt. How do we store all of that energy for sunless, rainy days or overnight hours? Traction on wet glass panels does not seam practice. I need to see more test.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 AM

17,850 posts, read 19,602,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
I'm not sure if you have heard about this new technology yet but this is a concept where the road ways will generate energy.

Solar FREAKIN' Roadways! - YouTube

If your city or state put this up to a vote would you vote yes or no? Also consider the economic impact (particularly big oil and the cities of Houston and Dallas)
It would be a monumental waste of money in Alaska, so I would most certainly vote against it.

The only time it would be functional (assuming it survived the plowing during the winter) is during the few months in the summer when we do not need the power, since the sun stays up after midnight. During the winter it would be less than useless, when we really could use the power.

Solar power may be cost efficient in the lower-48, but when you get above 50 latitude it is not. Coal, oil, and natural gas are still the most economical sources of energy in Alaska.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Fusion is the future. Perhaps the distant future. Perhaps my baby daughter's future or her grandchildren's, but eventually. Solar will be important in the near to mid term, but it has to get cheaper.
I agree. Fusion is the future, and without it the human species will have no future. Solar power is just another fad, like during the 1970s. When they were screaming "Global Cooling" during the 1970s there was a big solar power craze, just like today. Like the solar power fad during the 1970s, this current craze will also pass.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I agree. Fusion is the future, and without it the human species will have no future. Solar power is just another fad, like during the 1970s. When they were screaming "Global Cooling" during the 1970s there was a big solar power craze, just like today. Like the solar power fad during the 1970s, this current craze will also pass.
The solar road is simply technology over reach. Because something can be done does not mean it should be done.

Solar is coming in the SW and Southern US and is borderline practical now. One can lease an array for terms that provides your electric at rates just below the present power utilities rates and maintain that rate for the next 20 years. It does use the federal tax rebate so it is not "pure". But another couple of years will probably get there without a rebate.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The solar road is simply technology over reach. Because something can be done does not mean it should be done.

Solar is coming in the SW and Southern US and is borderline practical now. One can lease an array for terms that provides your electric at rates just below the present power utilities rates and maintain that rate for the next 20 years. It does use the federal tax rebate so it is not "pure". But another couple of years will probably get there without a rebate.
Funny, they said the exact same thing 35 years ago. There was a great deal of taxpayer money wasted on that fad as well.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Funny, they said the exact same thing 35 years ago. There was a great deal of taxpayer money wasted on that fad as well.
Uhh no they did not. I have seen pricing and leases that make solar PV practical with a payback of less than 10 years. That says with the federal rebate they are profitable today.

35 years ago they were 10 years away. 25 years ago they were 10 years away. 15 years ago they were 10 years away. But now they are less than 5 years away without a rebate. And within 15 years they may get cheap enough to make hydrogen for energy storage. So you never know.

The shame is that we let the Chinese buy the market and pretty cheap. Even provided rebates that helped them rather than factory assists that made the US producers competitive. 100,000 jobs down the tubes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or