U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 AM

3,302 posts, read 4,837,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
So I would like to know, its 2014 why is it that we are still not driving flying cars, wearing jetpacks, eating food pills, living on the moon, and underwater, where is my wrist watch TV, my nuclear powered vacuum cleaner, my virtual reality headset, my holodeck and holograms? I thought we were supposed to be in the future by now. Oh well, I guess I will have to make do with computers, iPhones and video games.
Forget all of that stuff - I just want my robot that does all the cooking and cleaning and yardwork so that I can spend my time reading, snoozing, surfing the net, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM

8,854 posts, read 7,336,479 times
Quote:
So I would like to know, its 2014 why is it that we are still not driving flying cars, wearing jetpacks, eating food pills, living on the moon, and underwater, where is my wrist watch TV, my nuclear powered vacuum cleaner, my virtual reality headset, my holodeck and holograms? I thought we were supposed to be in the future by now. Oh well, I guess I will have to make do with computers, iPhones and video games.
Flying cars for the general public is dangerous. Everyone would be required to have a pilot's license. Far too many can't drive on public roads properly. Putting them in the air would make it far more dangerous.
Jetpacks require a great deal of energy in a small space. The one working true jetpack is only good for short distance and then it's fuel is gone. It's also very dangerous.
Look at the size of a multivitamin and fiber pill. For you to have the nutrition, fiber, fats, sugars, protein, and calories your body needs per meal, you're throat could never swallow that single pill.
Living on the moon-Why would anyone want to live on the moon? Sure you'd be lighter, but when you return to Earth, you'd be as weak as a baby and your bones would be more brittle.
Underwater-If close to shore, easy. If in deep ocean, very very very dangerous. The air mixture has to be just right in relation to the pressure. The slightest fault in the structure would quickly become a deadly implosion.
wrist watch TV-They have it already but very weak demand. The Wristwatch Television Set Coolest Gadgets
Nuclear powered vacuum-that's like using a ballistic missile to chop down a tree. Not realistic or feasible.
VR headset-It's out there, at a steep price
Holograms like on Star Trek-not there yet. Fairly realistic hologram, but it takes a lot of engineering to project one realistic hologram figure at this time.
We've come a long way. I'm old enough to remember when a computer was a large cabinet that sat in an ice cold room and it did very little compared to today's cell phones. Car technology has increased greatly. For example, my first car had a 6 cylinder engine over 4 liters in size with 110 horse power and was lucky to get more than 25 MPG highway and that was when highway speed limits were 55mph. My second car had a 2 liter engine with around 86 HP. Today you can get a 3.6L V6 at nearly 300 HP, a 2L 4 cylinder engine at around 175 HP without a turbo, or well over 225 HP with the turbo. Today's cars have anti-lock brakes, stability control, traction control, satellite navigation, rear cameras, satellite radio, the car can call for help automatically if you're in an accident, some cars can park themselves, have radar sensors detecting things in front and behind the vehicle, automatic braking if it senses a possible accident ahead, side warnings to let you know a vehicle is on your side, heated seats, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, and some have suspension that can be adjusted with the turn of a dial to select sport, comfort, or something in between. Some even use magnets instead of shocks or struts for suspension.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:53 AM

8,854 posts, read 7,336,479 times
Quote:
What if the flying cars were automated? Would that make flying cars a lot safer?
If they perfected the automated computer software, it could be safer, but it still requires more energy to overcome gravity than it does to roll across the land.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 PM

141 posts, read 392,908 times
yeah, in the year 2000 we were supposed to work 2 hours a day or less, everything done by robots! WTF, what's up with that?

As of the flying cars, imagine a pileup falling onto your house in slo-mo...

Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 AM

24 posts, read 67,540 times
May in future you will get all these things. As technology is changing everyday now. It takes some time to invent new and different things. I think it's all about science. They all are not impossible to make. Don't forget sometime before, we don't have mobile and laptops even. You can talk with your equipment, they can learn your touch. They save your time and provide you accurate results also. It's not a joke to make all the things you are talking about.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:36 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,576,421 times
Quote:

Not so fast.

It just may be may be possible.

Some think it may be possible.

Real Star Trek Force Fields:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHFZFiSvNk0

Real Star Trek Phasers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DhEssy3NWw

Some of these new guns are bigger and closer to want you find in video games like Doom.

Future Weapons - Mercury Round

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAHp4YaEyZk

!!NEXT GENERATION WEAPONS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hctyc6THbcE

Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 PM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I saw a guy flying with a backpack jet. I was connected to a Jet Ski by a long hose and used water as the reaction mass. Quite clever.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:34 PM

2,801 posts, read 1,720,820 times
In the sixties they showed us little movies "life in the year 2000 and beyond" how much of any of that come true ? Almost none, they showed video phones, flying cars, self cleaning houses, robots to do the manual labor, small "nuclear" generators to power our houses ... and guess what, all our little toys aside, our lives have not changed significantly in fifty years.

Wristwatch TVs were around in the eighties ... never caught on.

You need to go back a few hundred years in order to answer why we are not colonizing space now, science was seen as Heresy.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Well, for one thing, we found out that food pills weren't that great for the lower intestine.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 AM

150 posts, read 140,228 times
Ah, so it's dawning on you that "endless technological advancement" is a gigantic farce perpetrated by Hollywood to get you to go into debt and buy stuff?

Kind of depressing, isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or