U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:40 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,077,744 times

Advertisements

If it was a meteor, it could have been heading straight toward you, then its path veered as it got smaller and finally burned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 05:34 AM

2,767 posts, read 2,196,130 times
Space debris momentarily reflecting sunlight or moonlight?

Old 10-01-2014, 06:01 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,624,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It could have been a meteor skipping through the upper atmosphere and back out into space. Such an object could also appear to speed up and become fainter.
That makes sense and would explain what I saw. It's hard to imagine what else it could be. Thanks. I was thinking about the weather balloon possibility and I kind of think the speed was too great for a high level atmospheric balloon and I think it was fully in the earth's shadow (I still haven't checked - work keeps interfering with the fun things).
A meteor would be my first guess as well. The Earth is pelted with more than 100 tons of meteors, dust, and debris on a daily basis.

My second guess would be a satellite. Were there are "dark skies" (I am referring to the astronomical term, not the movie) you can see satellites in orbit with your naked eye. You can even watch them move in their orbits. Typically, however, the light pollution from nearby cities and towns prevent someone from seeing satellites in orbit.

In either case, in order for the object to have the speed that you describe, it would have to be relatively close.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:47 AM

5,521 posts, read 2,604,874 times
I looked at this particular cluster of stars for several seconds before the one in the centre began to move (or appeared to move). Satellites in the day moved way faster than this light source and were visible in the late afternoon sky.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:57 PM

11,841 posts, read 7,742,973 times
As a wannabe amateur astronomy I've seen some pretty cool stuff through the telescope but the coolest and unexplained object I ever witnessed was a faint object that doesn't blink, which means it is below or in our atmosphere. The light emitted does not seem like any light source I've ever seen. It appears very organic like fireflies but is an orange or slight amber color.

It was stationary for about a minute until it started to move, at the distance it was crossing the sky and attitude I have never seen any object that moves this quickly. Then it made a spiral move and disappeared. I've never seen a physical object make that motion unless it was inside a tornado but in this case it was something far distant on a clear night. I still couldn't determine what it was but I've read elsewhere some folks witnessed an ufo like what I described.

That was some 15+ yrs ago and have not seen anything like it today and I'm constantly outside with the telescope and binoculars.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:18 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,624,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
As a wannabe amateur astronomy I've seen some pretty cool stuff through the telescope but the coolest and unexplained object I ever witnessed was a faint object that doesn't blink, which means it is below or in our atmosphere. The light emitted does not seem like any light source I've ever seen. It appears very organic like fireflies but is an orange or slight amber color.

It was stationary for about a minute until it started to move, at the distance it was crossing the sky and attitude I have never seen any object that moves this quickly. Then it made a spiral move and disappeared. I've never seen a physical object make that motion unless it was inside a tornado but in this case it was something far distant on a clear night. I still couldn't determine what it was but I've read elsewhere some folks witnessed an ufo like what I described.

That was some 15+ yrs ago and have not seen anything like it today and I'm constantly outside with the telescope and binoculars.
Could it have been a sprite? They occur within Earth's atmosphere, only 31 to 56 miles up.

Sprite (lightning) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or