U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:38 AM

405 posts, read 650,762 times

Advertisements

When Comcast hijacked us from our $79/mo basic cable triple-play to $185/mo and repeatedly told me there was nothing they could do we dropped to internet-only FIOS for a promotional $55/mo and spent $600 on a new smart tv and $15/mo on Netflix and Hulu and bought an Ooma for $99.

It only took 5 or 6 months for me to recoup the cost of the TV and the Ooma and now we pay only for internet, Netflix and Hulu and our $3.50/mo FCC taxes on the Ooma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,342,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I called my mayor's office and was told they had nothing to do with the cable company,which I believe is a load of Horse pucky,who gives these thieves the ok to be your city's cable franchise if not your city council?
It's expensive to build the infrastructure for cable so they may only build if they get an exclusive agreement. If you have a small community another company may not even want to come in.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 PM

7,994 posts, read 3,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
When Comcast hijacked us from our $79/mo basic cable triple-play to $185/mo and repeatedly told me there was nothing they could do we dropped to internet-only FIOS for a promotional $55/mo and spent $600 on a new smart tv and $15/mo on Netflix and Hulu and bought an Ooma for $99.

It only took 5 or 6 months for me to recoup the cost of the TV and the Ooma and now we pay only for internet, Netflix and Hulu and our $3.50/mo FCC taxes on the Ooma.
Great info! I think many more are dropping cable and finding alternative solutions,like you did.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,488,611 times
I dropped cable many years ago and haven't looked back!! the only thing I have is the interwebs from my cable co. I remember when basic digital cable was like 50 bucks a month I was ok with that but today I cant justify paying 80 plus bucks a month for crappy programming with more stupid ad's. i'm happy with rabbit ears and Netflix and I haven't looked back

Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,277,847 times
I'm ready to drop them all, cable and internet service. For the most part, I mostly watch regular network tv, the only cable shows I tune into are ones that come on for a few months out of the year and I can just pic those up on netflix at this point or pay per episode. So I'm basically paying $50 a month to watch what used to regular broadcast tv, which a couple of years ago was free, I'm fed up, so, after the next season of TWD, Hannibal and Grimm, I'm cutting the cables. This will be one reason to spend more time visiting my local library.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 AM

as I am not looking forward to moving since i'll have to have a dish installed to get the locals!! and I won't pay for cable since the picture is inferior as well as the sound quality over a dish

Old 08-18-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I've had DISH for 16 years. Back then you could buy the dish, receiver, remote for $179 So I own my system. No monthly 'box' fee. Monthly rate goes up every February, usually $3 or $4 but this year was $5 [channels have been added]
Neighbors left and right of me have Verizon FIOS. They started with the promotional teaser $99 bundle [tv, net, phone] After two years, they are paying $160
you can still buy dish receivers outright to this day!! I bought my hopper system outright and I can start and stop service when I want

Old 08-18-2014, 01:48 PM

2,795 posts, read 1,527,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I'm ready to drop them all, cable and internet service. For the most part, I mostly watch regular network tv, the only cable shows I tune into are ones that come on for a few months out of the year and I can just pic those up on netflix at this point or pay per episode. So I'm basically paying $50 a month to watch what used to regular broadcast tv, which a couple of years ago was free, I'm fed up, so, after the next season of TWD, Hannibal and Grimm, I'm cutting the cables. This will be one reason to spend more time visiting my local library.
Totally agree. There is never anything on that i like plus there are way too many channels and i have no idea what these shows are or even to find the ones i do like is a chore. I will be happy with just the networks and PBS and rent movies and read, go to movies and theater.

I actually LOVED comcast. Theirvservice was great, great tech. help. I too called customer retention at the end pf the year and got my bill down to 135 to 149. Then it went to 180 and they would not budge. Luckily we also have Verizon and they have been trying very hard to make us switch and we finally signed a 2 year contract for 140. Plus a debit card for $300.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 PM

it would be nice if the fcc would approve an agreement so that we can buy the channels that we watch and not have us sitting with 400 channels of horse puckey that we will never use and get charged for. I keep hearing rumours about this but nothing seems to go through

Old 08-19-2014, 08:07 PM

86,072 posts, read 3,531,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post

I did something similar back in 2010 when I dropped Comcast, got a Roku with Netflix and Hulu and have saved thousands of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology