U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 AM

8,025 posts, read 3,970,199 times

Advertisements

I recently received a letter from my POS cable company~Time Warner[loved the previous company-Adelphia],saying they are pleased to extend me another special offer.

They hope I have been enjoying my special mothly promotional rate of $111.18 per month which includes my promotion and any additional services and equipment I've ordered. I signed up last year for bundled HD cable,phone,internet & Wi-Fi at a 12-month locked-in price and actually have been paying $119 per month.

As this promotion is set to end soon,your next bill would reflect the current standard rate of $185.07 per month. As a thank you for your continued business,we'd like to extend you another special offer on your services.

When your promotional rate comes to an end on July 15th 2014,you'll keep enjoying the services you love for a total of $131.18 per month-that's still a savings of $53.89 per month of the standard rate.Your new monthly price includes a promotion that will expire on July 15,2015.

No action is required-this great new rate will begin automatically with your next bill.

I got my new bill of $139.00

So have any of you had your cable bill[without adding new services] jump $20 at a whack? Does anyone really pay $185 a month for HD cable/phone/internet/Wi-Fi bundle?

Satellite dishes are not permitted on the building where I live,so that is not an option plus would not want satellite and outages in Ohio's climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 AM

5,926 posts, read 9,098,593 times
Last month they tried to pretty much double what we're paying. DH got on the phone and had the worker in gales of laughter by the way he pointed out how ludicrous that would be (compared to what other people pay for service). We're now locked in to our current rate for another year.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Last month they tried to pretty much double what we're paying. DH got on the phone and had the worker in gales of laughter by the way he pointed out how ludicrous that would be (compared to what other people pay for service). We're now locked in to our current rate for another year.

Double-WOW! Congrats on keeping your current price!

Old 08-05-2014, 02:04 PM

1,464 posts, read 952,475 times
Comcast went from $103.00 to $169.00 in one month. We had been only halfway through a two-year promotional period at the time. Upon calling, they "could find no record of anything but an a'la carte plan," so we scanned and emailed our order agreement as well as previous billing statements. A "supervisor" then contacted us and then stated that we had called on such-and-such date and voluntarily changed our plan to the higher rate. We had not done so and explained as much, asking "why in the world would we volunteer to pay $66.00 more for a service we were still under contract with for another whole year?" The "supervisor" then proceeded to berate and hung up on us. It took contacting the corporate office to get the problem resolved.

That was the third time in one year we had to go through the corporate office to get a billing issue addressed; the other times were for fraudulent service charges in the amount of $59.95 each, some of which had been created out of thin air. We had also gone through three defective cable boxes during this period of time. When our promotional period finally expired the following year, our bill went from $103.00 to just under $200.00, which was more than the original agreement stipulated it would be. After three days on the phone complaining, Comcast agreed to "waive the 1-year waiting period between current customer promotional qualification" and we locked in a new plan for two years. The new plan included more channels, an upgraded DVR system, a land line, and a 50mbps (instead of 20mbps) internet speed for $135.00 per month.

Of course, it wasn't that simple; things never are. Comcast had to give us a new modem and send a technician out before we could actually use the new package. It took them a week and, during that period we were unable to use the DVR. Comcast reps gave us no shortage of answers regarding why this was the case, but in the end we ended up having to wait for an upgraded box despite still paying for the service in the meantime. The technician they sent out couldn't manage to complete the new install properly and my wife ended up troubleshooting the problems over the phone after the guy being paid to do the work was unable to.

Our next bill arrived and we discovered yet another erroneous $59.95 service charge. This seemed fantastic (in the not-so-good way) considering that the copy of the bill left clearly had "customer upgrade; waive service charge" printed in the summary box. We called and, after discussion were assured the problem was resolved and that our "next bill would reflect a credit for the erroneous amount." Nope! We've had to fight with them for THREE MONTHS (and still counting) to rectify the issue. Each time, they agree that we shouldn't have had to pay the fee, reiterate that there are notes in our account that indicate such, and that the problem will be taken care of as of the next billing date. From what I gather from others within the neighborhood, problems with this provider are to be expected.

It's bad enough that these companies are able to operate under a legal monopoly in an area. It's even worse that they're also allowed to operate with impunity.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,495,552 times
I'm surprised to hear you had that much trouble with Comcast, the rates are high but I found the service to be more than acceptable.

Quote:
As this promotion is set to end soon,your next bill would reflect the current standard rate of $185.07 per month. As a thank you for your continued business,we'd like to extend you another special offer on your services.

When your promotional rate comes to an end on July 15th 2014,you'll keep enjoying the services you love for a total of $131.18 per month
The $185.07 is about what I should be paying and the $131.18 is about what I am paying. I call up every year when it goes up and they drop it back down. It's getting old...

Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm surprised to hear you had that much trouble with Comcast, the rates are high but I found the service to be more than acceptable.
We have been surprised as well. Comcast was awesome when we lived in the northeastern US. I'm not sure why the difference has been so drastic in Florida. When we lived in town here we had Cox and that was never a problem. My parents and friends in the area here have Brighthouse and they've never had any crazy issues.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 PM

6,545 posts, read 8,665,973 times
I've had DISH for 16 years. Back then you could buy the dish, receiver, remote for $179 So I own my system. No monthly 'box' fee. Monthly rate goes up every February, usually $3 or $4 but this year was $5 [channels have been added]
Neighbors left and right of me have Verizon FIOS. They started with the promotional teaser $99 bundle [tv, net, phone] After two years, they are paying $160

Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,495,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
We have been surprised as well. Comcast was awesome when we lived in the northeastern US. .
Uh huh... I live in the Northeast. Must be a regional thing. Keep in mind Comcast is headquartered in Philly.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Uh huh... I live in the Northeast. Must be a regional thing. Keep in mind Comcast is headquartered in Philly.
Most of the time I spent in the northeast was in south-central PA. Never once had an issue with Comcast during that time. *shrugs*

Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 AM

I called my mayor's office and was told they had nothing to do with the cable company,which I believe is a load of Horse pucky,who gives these thieves the ok to be your city's cable franchise if not your city council?

Funny how I was advised to write a letter of complaint addressed to my city council which will be read on the floor,which I intend to do!

Then I called the Ohio P.U.C.O[Public Utlities Commission of Ohio] who also claimed that they have nothing to do with regulating the cable companies, but they 'do' supposedly take complaints to forward to the Department Of Commerce!

So everyone passes the buck and each denies that they are in charge of regulating the cable companies,so yes,they operate as they damn well please!

Next step, contacting the state Attorney General and then maybe our 'Live On Five' Television media advocate!

I know I am fed up with all these government agencies taking our money to sit on their butts and do absolutely NOTHING!

The most hated cable company in America is…

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...-is-2014-05-20

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 08-06-2014 at 06:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology