U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 PM

8,899 posts, read 4,840,854 times

Advertisements

Tonight, I put in a drawer stocking stuffers that were never given. Pocket knives, knife sharpeners, hand clamps, and 8 G thumb drives.

Got to thinking about the thumb drives, about what age today is that appropriate to give to, about what sort of information one could put on 8 G's. Well, for me, with how I take pictures, that's 2048 pics. Two, three days of good shooting.

With how I take pictures.............I take them at full intensity, grabbing everything my DSLR sees, and not carrying about how much room, how much power I am using for each shot. I'm carrying extra cards, extra power cells........and when I'm not, then I ration the number I shoot, but never the quality.

So, why is it important to us to gather so much detail, to have so much information? Do we really need to see the white SUV after the black SUV? Would it be better off, what would it matter if they were just blurs? In that particular case, however, more information was better for it was part of location shooting.

Personally, I believe the more intense the better because in the years that come, that info may be all that one has about a site, especially if it is a site that no longer exists or one can't get to anymore.

But is there a limit, is there a point of where how much becomes too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 AM

5,171 posts, read 10,489,634 times
Change all the *we* parts of your post into *I*.

Now think about a better answer yourself !

Old 08-23-2014, 08:20 PM

26,926 posts, read 38,183,267 times
You're one of THOSE PEOPLE that Dude111 freaks out over.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:16 PM

505 posts, read 548,105 times
There is a fancy word for massive information called Big Data.

Let's say I have background in BioChem, Food, Nutrition, CS, business, finance...
Now my job is to keep taking in information.
Apparently my gene also has to be right(aslo has to be smart to have those bacgrounds.)

So from time to time, Eureka! some golden egg will popout which might be interested but pennyless or might be boring but worth trillion.

There are lots of these genes out there, but also lots of scams.
This is why we advance slowly.
W/ right time, right place, right people, we get all kinds of cool stuff ie iphone, FB...

Old 08-31-2014, 09:45 AM

10,544 posts, read 4,683,101 times
Sounds like a Philosophy, Psychology-or Photography-section question...not sure which, though
Documentation and archiving of one's life and the people/places that may be ephemeral-
how much of one's present life is taken up with capturing, copying, and poring over artifacts of the past ?
Photographic resolution-from a technological standpoint how much detail is "enough" ?

These sorts of open-ended questions tend to have idiosyncratic, individual, subjective answers.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:15 PM

148 posts, read 159,896 times
I'm not quite sure of the subject being discussed, but I think a human being is not and never will be a machine. There is a lot to be said for gathering information, using the five senses, in real time. Have you ever experienced a vacation or a special event without feeling the need to document or record it? To live it at the speed of life, and store those memories in your brain, to recall and remember at a later date. Old fashioned idea?...Maybe, but I don't want to lose my human abilities. Super information gathering technologies can de-humanize people over time. We were never meant to become a machine. I'm just say'in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology