U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:01 PM

86 posts, read 66,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I disagree. Obviously, you have to look both ways before crossing the street, make sure you signed the check before putting it in the envelope, etc., but if you never take any chances in life, you'll never reap any rewards.
It was a counter-argument, but yes. There is nothing wrong with trying, if you can afford to do so and not be financially deprived afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM

5,922 posts, read 9,063,289 times
OP, computer science is far more than just programming. Go to or phone the school you're thinking of attending, and tell them you're exploring whether this is a good option for you. They should be able to have you talk to someone who can give you a better idea of what you're looking at, which may help you decide whether it's what you want.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM

214 posts, read 179,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
So I've registered for collage and still do not know what I would like to major in. I came across a interesting video on youtube about computer science major and it left a impression on me but I do not know much about computer science unlike most of my peepers I never took it back in high school. I'm considering CS as my major. I'm i sitting myself up for failure?

If you have never been interested in computers or Information Technology in the past I do not think it is really the right field for you.

Most of your peers in an IT curriculum would be people who have been working with and even obsessed with computers and high-tech stuff for most of their lives. Thus, they would have a pretty big jump on you, and this would not bode well for your chances of success in a field that is already ultra-competitive.

This is not to say you could not succeed (although someone who uses the word "peepers" does not strike me as the classic techie type. LOL. But I would just advise you to do some more searching for possible majors and try to find something you have always been interested in.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 27 days ago)

9,064 posts, read 15,477,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Programming has been and continues to be outsourced to low cost producers in India and elsewhere. Unless you are a star, you cannot compete. You may as well be wasting your time learning soldering for the purpose of making circuit boards.

The future is database administration and database design. JMHO.

The mastery of clear speaking and clear writing cannot hurt, and would be a plus in any job and career.
I don't know a single programmer that is unemployed here in the US.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:07 PM

16 posts, read 9,539 times
Quote:
So I've registered for collage …
Art school?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,604,311 times
Quote:
So I've registered for collage and still do not know what I would like to major in. I came across a interesting video on youtube about computer science major and it left a impression on me but I do not know much about computer science unlike most of my peepers I never took it back in high school. I'm considering CS as my major. I'm i sitting myself up for failure?
As someone who has a BSCS and has worked in the field for the last 35 years, there are three traits you should already possess:
  • A strong analytical ability;
  • Good communication skills;
  • Musical ability.
If you took things apart as a kid to see how they worked and then put them back together again, you have a strong analytical ability. If you enjoy logic puzzles or strategy games, you have a strong analytical ability. If Spock was your favorite Star Trek character in the original series, you have a strong analytical ability. If you enjoy math or physics, you have a strong analytical ability.

Being able to communicate well with your client and comprehend what they want is critical to being successful.

While not all programmers make good musicians, those with musical talent do make for good programmers. Programming is equal parts math and art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or