Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,170 times

Advertisements

So I've registered for collage and still do not know what I would like to major in. I came across a interesting video on youtube about computer science major and it left a impression on me but I do not know much about computer science unlike most of my peepers I never took it back in high school. I'm considering CS as my major. I'm i sitting myself up for failure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 04:22 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
You should consider majoring in English. It's a useful skill.

I'm self-taught, so I don't know what the structure is like or what they'd expect you to already know on day one, but there's a plethora of information available online, so you should be able to close up any gaps in your knowledge pretty easily on your own.

If you want to do it, just do it. If you spend your life worrying about things, you'll never get anywhere.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,170 times
Thanks for the advice.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:16 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Thanks for the advice.
Do you have a passion for computers?

Do you like solving mental problems?

If so, I'd recommend getting a book on Java or C# work through it and see if you find it interesting.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Programming has been and continues to be outsourced to low cost producers in India and elsewhere. Unless you are a star, you cannot compete. You may as well be wasting your time learning soldering for the purpose of making circuit boards.

The future is database administration and database design. JMHO.

The mastery of clear speaking and clear writing cannot hurt, and would be a plus in any job and career.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Programming has been and continues to be outsourced to low cost producers in India and elsewhere. Unless you are a star, you cannot compete. You may as well be wasting your time learning soldering for the purpose of making circuit boards.

The future is database administration and database design. JMHO.

The mastery of clear speaking and clear writing cannot hurt, and would be a plus in any job and career.
You must not be working or looking in the right areas, there are TONS of jobs out there. I'm frankly a terrible programmer by my own standards and I am doing well.

One thing I've found that I didn't realize when I started is that if you're knowledgable about something else (say, finance/banking or leasing/realty) it will really help to get your butt in a comfy chair at one of those types of companies. I don't think you have to know everything (although sometimes it feels that way) but you will have to learn things that has nothing to do with your specific job title but is critical to creating a useful product.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
You must not be working or looking in the right areas, there are TONS of jobs out there. I'm frankly a terrible programmer by my own standards and I am doing well.
So YOU"RE the one responsible for all that buggy software on my machine ....

Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM

86 posts, read 86,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you spend your life worrying about things, you'll never get anywhere.
If you spend your life not worrying about things, you'll never get anywhere, either.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:56 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceebo View Post
If you spend your life not worrying about things, you'll never get anywhere, either.
I disagree. Obviously, you have to look both ways before crossing the street, make sure you signed the check before putting it in the envelope, etc., but if you never take any chances in life, you'll never reap any rewards.

If I'd worried about whether or not my business would be successful six years ago when I was considering starting it, I never would have and I'd almost certainly be in a much worse position today. That same logic applies to any business - if the owners worried excessively about failure, they never would have succeeded.

If the OP takes a few classes and decides it's not for him, what has he lost? A little time? If he doesn't take those classes, he could miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime and never know it. And having an additional skill, no matter how relatively underdeveloped it may be, is never a bad thing.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:24 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
So YOU"RE the one responsible for all that buggy software on my machine ....
Haha, I'm currently a web dev for internal use only so unless you work for my company, you're safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology