U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:23 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,902,937 times

Advertisements

FYI its not unheard of that people who actually have bed bug bites think they're mosquito bites at first...good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 09:36 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,713,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyx View Post
They don't perch anywhere I can find them, I can't manage to kill them, and I'm getting bitten more than ever before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyx View Post
Strange that some of you don't even believe me. Why would you doubt that they're mosquitoes? I know what mosquitoes look like. These just seem more vicious than the norm. Even getting at me through clothes.
In your initial post, you said you can't find them and can't manage to kill them. That implies you can't see them. Mosquitos are VERY obvious when inside. First, you can HEAR their insidious whine. Second, they will land on you to bite, and at that point, you slap them and kill them. Gone.

Since you apparently could not see them, but you were getting bitten, I thought they might not be mosquitoes, but could be some other insect - ie. bedbugs. You don't often see bedbugs, because they bite at night while you sleep.

So do you actually SEE mosquitoes? Can you HEAR them buzzing around?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:35 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,592,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It depends on the OP's location and time when the biting occurs. I've been out in the sticks of Thailand at night and the mozzies feed on me like a banquet of foreign food. The only relief is to sleep under mosquito netting. Various electronic traps can capture some of them. Another possible solution is to use a fogger. If the bites are coming from mosquitoes, then it's also important to try to determine where they're getting in. Are there windows or doors being left open in the evening? Are there cracks or holes in screens? Are there any gaps in the outside doors and door frames?
We have a few mosquitoes in Alaska as well.

The good news is that the Alaskan Snow Mosquito is not like their tropical and sub-tropical cousins. Our mosquitoes have glycol in their circulatory system instead of water. While the glycol acts as an anti-freeze, allowing them to live throughout the winter as adults under the snow, it also means that they are incapable of carrying the diseases commonly found in other mosquitoes, like malaria, West Nile virus, etc.

Citronella is a good source of insect repellent. You can buy, or make, citronella incense or burn citronella oil like a candle. If you really want to shell out the big bucks, you can always spend upwards of $300 on a mosquito magnet.

Mosquitoes are attracted to infrared radiation, and particularly in the fall when outside temperatures start getting cooler, homes stand out as large heat sources. If there is any kind of opening (window, door, even a pet door) then mosquitoes will find a way inside the home.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:26 AM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
In your initial post, you said you can't find them and can't manage to kill them. That implies you can't see them. Mosquitos are VERY obvious when inside. First, you can HEAR their insidious whine. Second, they will land on you to bite, and at that point, you slap them and kill them. Gone.

Since you apparently could not see them, but you were getting bitten, I thought they might not be mosquitoes, but could be some other insect - ie. bedbugs. You don't often see bedbugs, because they bite at night while you sleep.

So do you actually SEE mosquitoes? Can you HEAR them buzzing around?
The phrase "you don't believe me" is a trigger phrase for a lot of people. Believing was not the issue. The scientific process demands examining data from all angles while EXCLUDING bias and examining all possibilities. If someone doesn't understand that, it is their personal problem.

If the OP was certain that there was a mosquito problem then this phrase "They don't perch anywhere I can find them, I can't manage to kill them, and I'm getting bitten more than ever before. I'm figuring that even with mosquito repellent, that would only help if there was someone else in the room they could go to, right?" is not needed or helpful but is a false lead.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:06 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,808,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post

As I'm one of those folks that really, really hates getting bitten and annoyed by mosquitoes, here's what I suggest you do. Get a laser. And tell me how well it works
Yac.
This is so cool!

Old 10-05-2014, 02:21 AM

We do not seem to have a problem seeing our mosquitoes in Alaska.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:04 AM

4,981 posts, read 7,760,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We do not seem to have a problem seeing our mosquitoes in Alaska.
That's like the ones in SE Asia.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That's like the ones in SE Asia.
At least we have some warning before hand.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:03 AM

4,981 posts, read 7,760,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
At least we have some warning before hand.
LOL! I need a sign like that. A good heads up for Mosquito crossing areas. That explains where all the tourists go. ANd all this time, I thought they just flew home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology