U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM

6,794 posts, read 11,722,028 times

Advertisements

Wifi and Mobile Internet
Wireless charging
Facial Recognition
High Frequency Trading
Genetically Modified Foods
Solar Energy
Pandora (predicting what music you might like based on what you previously liked)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 01:07 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,642,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Define "future."

Frankly, I am not impressed by this "future," and technology doesn't make me feel like I'm living in an advanced civilization when idiots are still going around cutting off heads, politicians are behaving like politicians have since the days of Babylon, and we still haven't figured a simple and cost effective way out of the gravity well.

In many ways, this era has more in common with the 1800s and earlier, while the late 1960s and early 1970s held hope for far greater things. Sure some people have phones turning them into trackable androids in the service of employers, but slave collars had the same effect and were cheaper. Instant access to inane conversations with friends who know more about sports and fashion than history does not impress me as "futuristic."

I think the future will be more like Madmax and spacehunter not like star trek.There will be poor and poverty and killing ,war and raping.Well the rich having top health care , rich living in space station or on mars.

Space will be for the very rich same with top health car.The poor and average person will be living in more Madmax and spacehunter society.

I seen the movie The Fifth Element and yes they had flying cars ,spaceships ,future medicine ,future guns and technology!! But a very overpopulated crowded dirty and crime ridden and rundown city.This is want the future will look like not like star trek will every thing is easy and everyone can go to space and clean and nice society.

Only the small 1% will be able to go to space and have top
health car.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:40 PM

41,505 posts, read 51,230,061 times
Most electronics

Old 10-18-2014, 05:14 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,373,501 times
~ Garbage disposals
~ Air conditioning
~ In-car navigation
~ Talking to a support person that barely speaks English
~ Vehicles with +600HP
~ Every web site one visits has ads and tracks you
~ Custom made dogs and cats
~ Brazil is the second largest airplane manufacturer in the world
~ American citizens thinking the government has their best interests at heart

Old 10-19-2014, 02:40 AM

607 posts, read 615,480 times
I have to say the smart phone....at least the iteration of it since about 2012....

Think of it...we go to sleep with it, wake up with it, leave home with it, bring it to work, bring it to play,
use it even while on the road(perhaps most of all on the road).

I have seen crowd scenes in stores where most people are doing the leaning down motion checking their phones.....in lines you see it all the time, waiting for anything you see it all the time..

NOW...before this there was nothing like this, nothing we had to have with us all the time, and that we did so many essential things with all the time. So, this is quite a game changer, and therefore reminds me more of, at least the closest we are approching the future NOW, in everyday life.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:40 AM

12,665 posts, read 9,904,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know, what are some technologies that make you feel like that we are living in the future? I am 20 and growing up I read a lot of science fiction on what people of the past imagined what the future was going to be like. So I am disappointed now that its 2014 and I still don't have my jetpacks, hover board, flying cars, underwater or lunar colonies, and so on. But I wonder, is there any technology around today that makes you feel like we are living in the future?
Well, I'd say to some degree I'm still impressed by some of the superintense lasers out there that can reach intensities 10^22 times that of bright sunlight (e.g, Texas Petawatt Laser)!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:04 PM

8,192 posts, read 22,277,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know, what are some technologies that make you feel like that we are living in the future? I am 20 and growing up I read a lot of science fiction on what people of the past imagined what the future was going to be like. So I am disappointed now that its 2014 and I still don't have my jetpacks, hover board, flying cars, underwater or lunar colonies, and so on. But I wonder, is there any technology around today that makes you feel like we are living in the future?
Believe me, I am well above your age and my cohort and I often discuss how it is 20XX and we still do not have hover boards or flying cars.

In terms of technology, the microchip still boggles my mind. For awhile, the Space Shuttle, too. Nanobots remind me of Blade Runner. There are a few other things here and there, but in reality, not as much as there was 20 years ago. Because of the Internet we now get information on a new product/idea/technology even before it is even fully laid down on paper on a daily basis. By the time something that is new and exciting is finally launched it already feels like old news.

Then again I still use No.2 yellow pencils. What do I know

Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,328,194 times
The fact that electricity is free (via solar panels) make me feel like I'm living in the future.

My Google Glass makes me feel like I'm in the future whenever I put it on.

My smartwatch makes me feel like I'm living in the future.

The fact that my car regulates it's own speed in cruise control, and parks itself makes me feel like I am living in the future.

The fact that I can order something from Amazon and get it delivered the same day makes me feel like I am living in the future.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:10 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,461,947 times
Okay, this merging technology makes me feel like we might be approaching the future...

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/1362/584...oid/index.html
Quote:
Forget wearable tech. The pioneers of our “post-human” future are implanting technology in to their bodies and brains.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,957,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Okay, this merging technology makes me feel like we might be approaching the future...

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/1362/584...oid/index.html
Wait 10 years and it will be common place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or