U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,396,981 times

Advertisements

This would be pretty cool for skiing, in the future...

Slip into some thermoelectric undergear and strap on some sticks

MIT Wristband Could Make AC Obsolete | WIRED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 AM

865 posts, read 793,942 times
When energy and water are unlimited and cheapest!

When all types of cancers are treatable.

When we people can live more that 200 years.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:56 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,396,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
When energy and water are unlimited and cheapest!

When all types of cancers are treatable.

When we people can live more that 200 years.
Ahhh, that'd be cool. Could change TV forever. Imagine, Frank Randall could take Black Jack Randall to an early grave in 'Outlander', saving his wife's husband of two hundred years earlier from a torturous lashing.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:43 AM

10,044 posts, read 6,402,144 times
One thing I read recently was that any tech involving some cumbersome thingie you've got to wear on your head will never really "take off." I'm inclined to agree. At the very least, I see most people holding out against Google Glass for a very long time, of course companies like Google may respond by simply making the device less cumbersome...the bluetooth earpiece is a good example of a device hitting the sweet spot of "not annoying" where many people accepted it. 3D glasses in the home and virtual reality headsets...not so much.

I think that smart phones coupled with search engines and maps are the most ubiquitous thing that makes me feel like I'm living in "the future"...or at least a world much changed. Example: The last time I saw my Grandma before she died, at a family gathering, she got into an argument with Grandpa about whether a certain famous actor had been mayor of a certain town, or whether in fact he'd spent most of his life living in a different location entirely. In Grandpa's lifetime, the person who argued most belligerently was presumed correct, and therefore he was perpetually right, even if he wasn't. I whipped out my cellphone and fact checked the situation and it turns out, I was able to establish then and there that Grandma was right this time. His response, "Well, I'll be." It was quite outside of his reckoning. While of course the internet is rife with dissent and misinformation, often enough you can get a reasonable answer to almost any question in an instant wherever you are, any piece of information known to mankind right there at your fingertips. Or at the very least, a second opinion.

Remember when you had to go to a library to find stuff out? When being lost was really being lost? When you couldn't read reviews to determine where to eat or stay or buy something?

Old 11-05-2014, 01:04 PM

30,137 posts, read 15,421,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
But I wonder, is there any technology around today that makes you feel like we are living in the future?
Being able to look up pretty much anything on a device I carry in my pocket is definitely up there. The same device also lets me have about 50 favorite books right there with me when I fly. It lets me drive right to where I need to go in a foreign town.

And that same item lets me get weather data, then acts as a compass, log and chartplotter when I go sailing. Plus it's a passable camera, to boot.

The first portable phone I used had a shoulder strap, and made phone calls. And that was wild.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:06 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,328,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~ Talking to a support person that barely speaks English
~ Brazil is the second largest airplane manufacturer in the world
~ American citizens thinking the government has their best interests at heart
None of these are technologies.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:09 PM

4,589 posts, read 5,852,486 times
3D printers is the most impressive tech. I've ever heard of.

The 'vintage Aston-Martin' cars that were used in explosions in the last James Bond movie were actually put together using 3D printers.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:00 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,249,103 times
Cell phones - with everyone walking around, yapping out loud, I feel like I can read their minds.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:14 PM

600 posts, read 535,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Define "future."

Frankly, I am not impressed by this "future," and technology doesn't make me feel like I'm living in an advanced civilization when idiots are still going around cutting off heads, politicians are behaving like politicians have since the days of Babylon, and we still haven't figured a simple and cost effective way out of the gravity well.

In many ways, this era has more in common with the 1800s and earlier, while the late 1960s and early 1970s held hope for far greater things. Sure some people have phones turning them into trackable androids in the service of employers, but slave collars had the same effect and were cheaper. Instant access to inane conversations with friends who know more about sports and fashion than history does not impress me as "futuristic."
We've just landed a spacecraft on a comet. That's quite impressive.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,249,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
We've just landed a spacecraft on a comet. That's quite impressive.
Almost as impressive as landing twelve men on the moon and landing three rovers on Mars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or