U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:34 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,835,383 times

Advertisements

If I was in 1984 and got transported into 2014, I think I'd be MOST impressed with smart phones. I would also be very impressed with GPS navigation inside of cars. Motion sensor technology would be awesome, even though I think clap on was around in 1984. But yeah smart phones would be awesome. Wearable tech would blow my mind too. I mean in the 80s I use to watch Inspector Gadget with his video wrist watch. Now such a thing is ACTUALLY possible. Things that would disappointment would be....

Lack of flying cars...
Buildings still don't like "futuristic"
Subway trains in major cities still look 'blah'
Cars really aren't that much more impressive than in 84

Like seriously, what's the hold up with flying cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,813,182 times
Imagine taking an xbox back to 1984, letting a kid play it for 5 minutes and then saying "Haha!" and taking off back into your time machine leaving that kid to play Pitfall and *******.

Edit: F r o g g e r. lol.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:31 PM

260 posts, read 245,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I would like to know, what are some technologies that make you feel like that we are living in the future? I am 20 and growing up I read a lot of science fiction on what people of the past imagined what the future was going to be like. So I am disappointed now that its 2014 and I still don't have my jetpacks, hover board, flying cars, underwater or lunar colonies, and so on. But I wonder, is there any technology around today that makes you feel like we are living in the future?
We have created a system in which new technology and thus progress is faster. It is easier now to realize new ideas then ever before. We have patented more ideas in the last 25 years then ever before (in total, just doubled the numbers).

If you have a cool idea now, you have internet to communicate that idea to some-one in China who can create a prototype or some-one in London who can fund it. It used to be that people kept huge libraries of books (encyclopedia type), now it's all technology information is at your finger tips.

Before the internet, the major invention that changed the world was television.

We really need new and better sources of energy. We are on fossil fuel right now, and all of green energy struggles to compete.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,725,933 times
Quote:
I would like to know, what are some technologies that make you feel like that we are living in the future? I am 20 and growing up I read a lot of science fiction on what people of the past imagined what the future was going to be like. So I am disappointed now that its 2014 and I still don't have my jetpacks, hover board, flying cars, underwater or lunar colonies, and so on. But I wonder, is there any technology around today that makes you feel like we are living in the future?
I think the ability to have a video camera and a phone together has always been in sci fi movies as futuristic and what I imagined would be in the future growing up so I would also say the video camera and communication technology on the internet like with skype is futuristic to me.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:51 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,172,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
If I was in 1984 and got transported into 2014, I think I'd be MOST impressed with smart phones. I would also be very impressed with GPS navigation inside of cars. Motion sensor technology would be awesome, even though I think clap on was around in 1984. But yeah smart phones would be awesome. Wearable tech would blow my mind too. I mean in the 80s I use to watch Inspector Gadget with his video wrist watch. Now such a thing is ACTUALLY possible. Things that would disappointment would be....

Lack of flying cars...
Buildings still don't like "futuristic"
Subway trains in major cities still look 'blah'
Cars really aren't that much more impressive than in 84

Like seriously, what's the hold up with flying cars?
We are going to get automated vehicles in like 5 or 10 years. Although, I still wonder about where our flying cars are going to be as well. But I am impressed by the Nikola Tesla car.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:01 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,813,182 times
I'd settle for an anti-gravity Marty McFly hoverboard. I need a reason to dust off my old vans skate shoes.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:10 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,172,202 times
IIRC: There was a novel written in 1860 called Paris in the 20th century. It featured a futuristic Paris set in 1960 that had automobiles, skyscrapers, gas stations, and many other modern technologies. It was rejected because people thought that his inventions were to implausible.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:24 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,037 posts, read 4,779,780 times
Self driving vehicles.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:02 AM

992 posts, read 711,281 times
Fusion reactor.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:48 AM

440 posts, read 669,027 times
Quote:
What technologies do you wish to see in Your life time that are considered futuristic?
I want to see stealth suits. Is it possible? To become invisible? Because they say the US military has them and tests them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or