U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:24 PM

607 posts, read 588,412 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the heads up on Kildall...

Just a few things he did thanks to Wiki....looked like a movie star as well...

• Introduction of operating systems with preemptive multitasking and windowing capabilities and menu-driven user interfaces.
  • Creation of the first diskette track buffering schemes, read-ahead algorithms, file directory caches, and RAM disk emulators.
  • Introduction of a binary recompiler in the 1980s.
  • The first programming language and first compiler specifically for microprocessors.
  • The first microprocessor disk operating system, which eventually sold a quarter of a million copies.
  • The first computer interface for video disks to allow automatic nonlinear playback, presaging today's interactive multimedia.
  • The file system and data structures for the first consumer CD-ROM.
  • The first successful open system architecture by segregating system-specific hardware interfaces in a set of BIOS routines

The strange end to his life was hitting his head on a stool at a Biker Bar, but some say he was assaulted, and that the bartender was covering up for the guy......sad way to go...he was only 52...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:12 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,613,257 times
The OP really doesn't know much about Oracle. Safra Katz and Mark Hurd have been running Oracle for some time. Ellison didn't put the two in charge to fight it out to the death. These two have shared power for a long time and are likely to continue to do so for some time.

I don't think Bezos, as important as he is, should be grouped with the tech giants. Bezos runs a retailer - first and foremost. And it barely makes money. Technology is very important to Amazon, but ultimately Amazon's competitors are Walmart, Best Buy, etc. Amazon is an early leader in cloud computing - but there are lots of very big companies that want a slice of that.

I think the OP should have mentioned Scott McNealey - one of the early, and biggest parts of Silicon Valley. I laugh when I think how he failed the company that once dominated the server side of client/server. He failed to see that people really don't care what instruction set the microprocessor has available to run its operating system.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:42 PM

825 posts, read 527,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
Thanks for the heads up on Kildall...

Just a few things he did thanks to Wiki....looked like a movie star as well....
I'm a little biased since the first real computer I had ran CP/M (I was a kid at the time, but I'm still showing my age). It had true cross-platform compatibility. A program written to work under CP/M would work on any other computer that ran CP/M.

You can find tons of links about how MS-DOS supplanted CP/M and became the dominant PC operating system, but MS-DOS 1.0 was basically a pirated copy of CP/M (though Microsoft did fork form that in subsequent releases).

Old 11-03-2014, 03:43 PM

825 posts, read 527,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
He failed to see that people really don't care what instruction set the microprocessor has available to run its operating system.
Why do you say that? (I'm not disputing it, I'm just curious where he went wrong.)

Old 03-29-2016, 08:56 AM

4,334 posts, read 5,153,536 times
Default Andrew Grove, a survivor of the Nazi Holocaust

I thought it would be appropriate to post the news here of Andy Grove's passing.

"A survivor of the Nazi Holocaust and the 1956 Soviet invasion of his native Hungary.."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/te...-obituary.html

Andy Grove, One Of Intel's Legends, Dies At 79
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology