U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 12:33 AM

607 posts, read 588,530 times

Advertisements

Larry Ellison just retired as CEO of Oracle.....while he IS hanging around for a spell with a few smaller titles, per the old "leaders never die, they just fade away slowly, till they buy sports franchises", we've reached the end of an era....

That is definitely the end of the classic founders era of PC's and software.

I would date that era from about 1976-Now. In '76, Jobs and Woz introduced the Apple 1,

In 1981, Microsoft introduced MS-DOS, and not long after, WINDOWS, and all the iterations and "improvements"
thereof

There are no current board members at Microsoft, Apple, or Hewlitt-Packard that were there at the founding of those respective companies either. Last month, the last original board member of Microsoft retired. Steve Ballmer has no ties whatsoever to Microsoft now, and retired from the board himself two months ago to run the LA Clippers.

Yes, the founders have all either died or retired at this point....I would compare them to the rough and tumble captains of industry at the beginning of the corporate/industrial era in the late 1800's. The 70's and 80's PC/software giants created and defined an industry almost out of whole cloth, one that essentially IS the economy now(lets see, APPLE and GOOGLE trading at astronomical levels for starters?)

History will be good to these founders, as overbearing as some of them, prob most of them, were. Some mellowed out and redefined themselves(Gates), one died loathed by essentially all(Jobs), two own and run sports franchises(Allen and Ballmer), one dances on tv(Woz on Dancing with the Stars), and one still hasn't quite left his building yet, but is on his way out on his own accord(Ellison)...

I have to laugh, as Ellison has appointed Co-CEO's, a man and woman(and has evidentally decided to let them fight it out for Alpha status, like a chicken fight)......

I am not anamored of the new folks running Silicon Valley....Zuckerberg and his hoodie seem to be good at overspending other people's money on Apps(What's App for 19 billion..hello?), Marissa Mayer seems to be in over her head, Microsoft is lost, not sure what to make or manufacture, while the XBOX keeps them in the black singlehandedly........

Google on the other hand is probably the only tech-related company with the gravitas of the old founders, and the possibility of being game changers....Apple will never fill Jobs shoes with watchs and such, though who knows? Give them time after the recent rollout. I have not yet made my mind up about Apple sans Jobs...Jeff Bezos has really come on strong lately with Amazon, though he prob will never succeed in hardware with anything outside of Kindle iterations and an overcommoditized tablet(FIRE). Bezos will make his mark by continuing to lead the world in on-line retail logistics, and lately, rocket engines(Blue Origin).

The end of a founders era it is though, regardless of how the future plays out with the new leaders...history will be very kind to them, though prob not so much to the new folks, if at all..

(All pictures linked to Wikipedia, and are creative commons, and not copywrited)

Last edited by scottkuzminski; 10-19-2014 at 01:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 PM

I wanted to add, thinking of this post a few days later, Elon Musk, as one of the few current tech visionaries that are capable of carrying on on the same level as the founders I mentioned. Perhaps more than them all. He has his hands on electric cars, rockets, and solar-grid batteries(building the largest battery factory in the world as we speak in Reno).
What doesn't this man do?

Old 10-20-2014, 03:35 PM

I have a question for you reading this thread(should have asked it in the body of the thread)...

What original PC/Internet related founder of the classic era(1975-current), as I mentioned, do you admire most?

I suppose it is debatable whether it is the end of an era(though I think we lost the great ones, and have reservations about most of the current "visionaries/game changers")

So, lets make the question, who is the "old school", classic visionary in this field you admire most, and why?. It is quite fine if they were an a-hole, so Steve Jobs absolutely counts!

Old 10-20-2014, 05:24 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
I admire all of them as if were not for them we would not be racing to the singularity today.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Josseppie, regards the singularity, even if that was not a real thing, it would be just as amazing and beneficial what these inventors have done.

I just wish that more younger people AND even older people, had more facility with programming and making their own stuff. The real change, including the singularity, if that is real, is when people have the ability to create all these things themselves, and with 3D printing, programming, smart everything, and the internet of things, that is largely just starting to happen now.

Regardless, this is a VERY exciting time to be living now!

Regarding the Singularity itself, the man that came up with that theory, Ray Kurzweil, is an inventor of note himself, coming up with Text-to Speech recognition, and prob the best electronic keyboard synthesizers on the market now. He is not just an theorist with his head in the cloud.

He is a serial inventor, and has become very wealthy in the process. I don't believe he is a billionaire, but prob quite close to one.
look!

http://kurzweil.com/products/

Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,726,329 times
The OP neglects Hewlett and Packard, whose HP was the original silicon valley firm. Life goes on.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:41 AM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
Josseppie, regards the singularity, even if that was not a real thing, it would be just as amazing and beneficial what these inventors have done.
My point is they did all the groundbreaking work and many will not be able to see the benefits of the singularity like all of us living today.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:49 PM

chuck, I did mention HP, under the old microsoft ad.......But did not focus on the founders,David Packard and William Hewlett, which I realize...They were part of the transistor revolution, along with Gordon with Intel, and they indeed laid the GROUNDWORK and basic foundation for the PC/Internet founders I mentioned..without them, there would have been no PC/Web era, absolutely....

Last edited by scottkuzminski; 10-21-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 04:56 PM

....and there sure as hell would have been no PC revolution without the founders of Intel, Gordon Moore, Andy Grove, and Robert Noyce, the tech brain trust of the 20th century(outside of perhaps Tesla, Ford, and Edison earlier in the century)

Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 PM

825 posts, read 528,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
I have a question for you reading this thread(should have asked it in the body of the thread)...

What original PC/Internet related founder of the classic era(1975-current), as I mentioned, do you admire most?

I suppose it is debatable whether it is the end of an era(though I think we lost the great ones, and have reservations about most of the current "visionaries/game changers")

So, lets make the question, who is the "old school", classic visionary in this field you admire most, and why?. It is quite fine if they were an a-hole, so Steve Jobs absolutely counts!
Gary Kildall.

A true pioneer in the computer industry, who never got the credit he deserved (and was ripped off), but did end up wealthy. Sadly, he died about 20 years ago under tragic circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology