U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times

Advertisements

The problem is when science turned to politics for funding and started using the same approach as someone running for office. The public loss trust of past in seeing so much spent and so little that came true. I always say trust in politicians and media turned when people found Camelot was a pure lie sold to pubic by both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 08:21 PM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
Diffuse? Really? I guess it would be diffuse if you think the only important topic the author brought up was the contamination of HeLa cell lines. That's grossly shallow, though.

Thanks for being a great example of the type of weird dismissal I hear for this book.
You might want to put a little bit of thicker grease on your hair trigger. The book IS weird. That doesn't mean that the subjects it hits upon are handled incorrectly, simply that it is written more in the thinking patterns of someone who is right-brained and tends to perambulate around a subject rather than address it in a linear fashion. It is not a particular fault of the author for writing that way, and it is not a particular fault of readers to be expecting a more traditional approach, especially if they happen to be in the scientific community where such is the norm.

Armstrong was a great trumpeter. If I picked up a book about him and his style, my first interests would be how and why he developed his technique, and what his life was like. My interest in the life of his offspring and relations would not be on my "take away points" list. The same with HeLa. The description of the dwellings of her relatives and their idiosyncrasies within the book flipped back and forth between adding depth and being an irrelevant distraction.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:51 AM

687 posts, read 430,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The problem is when science turned to politics for funding and started using the same approach as someone running for office. The public loss trust of past in seeing so much spent and so little that came true. I always say trust in politicians and media turned when people found Camelot was a pure lie sold to pubic by both.
Science has never divorced from politics in practice. Any history book will show that.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 AM

687 posts, read 430,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You might want to put a little bit of thicker grease on your hair trigger. The book IS weird. That doesn't mean that the subjects it hits upon are handled incorrectly, simply that it is written more in the thinking patterns of someone who is right-brained and tends to perambulate around a subject rather than address it in a linear fashion. It is not a particular fault of the author for writing that way, and it is not a particular fault of readers to be expecting a more traditional approach, especially if they happen to be in the scientific community where such is the norm.

Armstrong was a great trumpeter. If I picked up a book about him and his style, my first interests would be how and why he developed his technique, and what his life was like. My interest in the life of his offspring and relations would not be on my "take away points" list. The same with HeLa. The description of the dwellings of her relatives and their idiosyncrasies within the book flipped back and forth between adding depth and being an irrelevant distraction.
Wonder what you'd think of the book, "Salt: A World History" (also relevant to the intertwining of science and politics)

You're right, it's not the fault of the author if the reader goes in expecting a specific focus and style which they agree with, regardless of the intent or purpose of the work. Like I said, a lot of people trained in the sciences seemed to dismiss the book, and that is more telling about their own biases than the bias of the author.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM

260 posts, read 245,812 times
Science is funded for specific objectives.

In the OP's example of Pot. Science was funded to find harm in marijuana and it was paid well. If science was paid to prove that pot is harmless, results would be different.

As a scientist, you prove what you were funded to prove. If you are paid to research cancer, there is no point in discovering a cure for HIV.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:22 PM

5,508 posts, read 2,590,605 times
Quote:
In the OP's example of Pot. Science was funded to find harm in marijuana and it was paid well. If science was paid to prove that pot is harmless, results would be different.
That is scary right there!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That is scary right there!

Did you know that allot of scientists were paid to paid to research global warming. If you prove that there is no global warming, you loose your funding.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:29 AM
Yac

5,874 posts, read 6,290,826 times
Science method or it's lack, science funding or whatever it is you're trying to inject here - is off topic. Start a separate thread and post about it there - and it will be ok. Here it's not, as the thread already has a topic.
Yac.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Science method or it's lack, science funding or whatever it is you're trying to inject here - is off topic. Start a separate thread and post about it there - and it will be ok. Here it's not, as the thread already has a topic.
Yac.

It is absolutely not off topic. It answers a question of why we get strange results from science. It offer an explanation why.

If you wish to consider history, I mean we had "scientifically proven" which-trials not to long ago. Just history books, like dark ages and how science was used then for inquisition.

This is the nature of science and human history. I am a STEM worker, technically i practice computer science. I know how dangerous science is in the hands of lamers and zealots.

Of course if you feel that I did not understand the initial question correctly, please accept my sincere apologizes.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 PM

5,508 posts, read 2,590,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Yac.
The thread title starts with "Trust issues with Science and bias". Funding of science research projects is very definitely on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology