U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:59 AM

4,983 posts, read 7,762,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
So I agree with the fun at Nasa's expense, you have not found life on Mars yet, so where have you been looking ?
Where would you suggest looking? Curiosity's mission is to look for past or present conditions that Mars could have been suitable for the formation of life, unless a Martian Mermaid happens to jump out and do a dance in front of the rover's cameras. Personally, I have no idea if there is any life on Mars now, or if there ever was. But if any life, even if it's only bacterial, were to be actually confirmed to have independently evolved there, either in the distant past or existing now, it would certainly make a big statement adding to our knowledge considering the only model we currently have for a planet with any life is the Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 01:20 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,285,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
We have life right here on earth that does not need water. Leave a can of petrol out for a few years and see what happens to it. Bacteria turns it into a turpentine like substance (smelling and looking). Not mineral turps but real thing. Diesel needs additives to kill bacteria that grows in it, blocking filters.
Fuel contains organic compounds which are used for food. There is moisture in the air and that is where the water is coming from. This will be of particular concern in a tank becsue it will condensate on the wall of the tank.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:34 PM

5,509 posts, read 2,590,605 times
So those bacteria still need some water? Thanks. But not a lot so running water is not a prerequisite for them. I would tend to think then that those organisms originally evolved in water. Would that be correct?

Old 12-26-2014, 02:48 PM

37,072 posts, read 38,285,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
So those bacteria still need some water? Thanks. But not a lot so running water is not a prerequisite for them. I would tend to think then that those organisms originally evolved in water. Would that be correct?

AFAIK every life form on earth requires water and it certainly would have been an important if not the most important catalyst for life to begin. It's a solvent and the capability to break things down is important.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:30 AM

Life is a fascinating concept. During the carboniferous period when all the coalfields were laid down, there were no wood 'eating' bacteria to rot it so it stayed around long enough to form coal. All the oxygen in our atmosphere (or most of it) was produced by stromatolites and before that there were no oxygen 'breathing' micro-organisms. But there was always water.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:10 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,623,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Where would you suggest looking? Curiosity's mission is to look for past or present conditions that Mars could have been suitable for the formation of life, unless a Martian Mermaid happens to jump out and do a dance in front of the rover's cameras. Personally, I have no idea if there is any life on Mars now, or if there ever was. But if any life, even if it's only bacterial, were to be actually confirmed to have independently evolved there, either in the distant past or existing now, it would certainly make a big statement adding to our knowledge considering the only model we currently have for a planet with any life is the Earth.
There is so much life on Earth, I find it very hard to believe that the rest of the solar system is deprived of life.

I find that by just googling, it's hard to tell which source is credible and which is not.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 PM

4,983 posts, read 7,762,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
There is so much life on Earth, I find it very hard to believe that the rest of the solar system is deprived of life.

I find that by just googling, it's hard to tell which source is credible and which is not.
I wouldn't be surprised that there may be life in a few spots in the solar system, but we currently have no idea if there is life elsewhere or not. You said, "...you have not found life on Mars yet, so where have you been looking ?" I don't understand what you mean by that. Do you think the MSL should have somehow found life by now? You're right, we haven't found any life on Mars yet. As I said, the MSL rover *Curiosity" was not designed to find life. It's to search for evidence of conditions that could have been suitable for life to get a start.

Among other things, it has found evidence that Gale Crater probably contained a lot of water in the past. That implies that Mars had liquid water in it's past. Organic compounds have also been found, although that doesn't automatically mean life did in fact emerge on Mars. The question is whether Mars was warm long enough and wet enough for life to get a start. We don't really know the answer to that, but the line of thinking is to "follow the water". With regard to other places around the solar system, Mars is probably the easiest to explore. Even though Mars is a cold desert planet, the possibility that Mars might have had microscopic life, or maybe still does, has not been ruled out yet.

I agree, there is a lot of crap that shows up on the internet. What sources have you been looking at that you are unsure if it's credible or not?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:37 AM

4,365 posts, read 4,861,276 times
There is no doubt there is life beside us in the universe. The much more interesting question is whether there is intelligent life beside us.
(Btw this may belong to the Space subforum)

Old 12-28-2014, 12:29 PM

6,458 posts, read 5,907,682 times
Yes, absolutely. The vastness of the universe lends itself to the likelihood of other life being 'out there.' There is probably life, and perhaps intelligent life, in other universes, too.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:57 PM

How is intelligent life defined?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or