U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:24 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,144,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm not so sure aliens coming to check out our planet would be announcing their presence with colored strobe lights.
Unless, perhaps, signals we sent out in the late 70s or early 80s motivated them to...

Moderator cut: the pic is copyrighted I'm afraid

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2014 at 02:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 12:39 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,144,730 times
I'm pretty certain that if they observed us first, they wouldn't bother trying to communicate. If they can reach us with relative easy then they're in a position where interacting with us would be completely useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
Yes, there is intelligent life that is capable of communicating with us and seeing us.

I have a cool question.
When we have discovered America we have wiped out civilization (Mayans, with a simple flue) What makes you think that if we meet aliens, we would not wipe each other out with our bacteria, viruses etc (stuff that we are already immune to and they are not)?

Aliens coming from intelligent life, would try to communicate through distance first, after they were done observing us.

Have to note though that it is possible that we Humans did not originate on earth to begin with.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,732,469 times
I don't know if some type of living organism exists on other planets; it is hard to imagine our planet being the only one containing some type of living creature.

As far as a superior intelligent life force from another galaxy wanting to come to Earth, if they were that intelligent I can only imagine they'd want to exit stage left as soon as they experienced our human race with all of the negative issues we have.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:44 AM

723 posts, read 962,487 times
I hope there's some intelligent life out there.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,383,452 times
Do you think there is life besides us in the universe?

Think? No. Don't need to think about it, I am absolutely sure.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:19 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,846,611 times
Of course, there is extra-terrestrial life... ...around us!

I just bumped into my next-door alien neighbor on my way to work. Fortunately, he was able to levitate his spaceship in an instant so no harm done. But unfortunately, I knocked his kids into the fourth dimension and the galactic troopers are interviewing my wife for details.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
I do hope there are intelligent life forms on other planets because there certainly aren't any on this planet.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:02 PM

675 posts, read 535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DataWarehouse View Post
Let's consider the leading theories of our age:

30 billion planets in our galaxy alone.
200 billions galaxies in our Universe.
The number of Universes out there could be infinite.
universe expends and contracts.

Chances are there other humanoid societies out there. Chances are that that we can even find life that is very similar to ours.
This logic is completely flawed. Without knowing the probability of an event, you can't say anything about chances. It's like saying "there are 7 billion people on Earth. Chances are, at least one of them is 50 feet tall." See?

Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,898,120 times
I would guess there are or have been or will be molecules that organize into some sort of cells, maybe even tissues, organs, and organisms on other worlds.

Consciousness? I would guess consciusness is unique to the last 150,000 years (or 3000-ish years if you put stock in Jaynes' bicameral mind theory) on earth.

However, given interstellar and intergalactic distances that are far beyond the ability of humans to really appreciate, it is kind of a practical application of two possibilities (or really infinite possibilities) existing simultaneously: we might be the only "living" things in the entire breadth of the Universe; there might be life on a billion worlds; there might be forms of consciosness on a million worlds. It is likely we will never know, and so all three of these possibilities likely have exactly the same impact on us: zero. If you want to believe, knock yourself out.

Speaking of belief, I think we are about to (next 50-100 years) invent the second form of consciousness the Universe will ever have seen, as far as we know (Artificial Life).
---------------------------
Let us not kid ourselves that we know what's really going on. Our perceptions are drastically limited. We know what ants on the ground could never perceive. We can invent instruments to extend our senses greatly, and study concepts that could never enter the mind of a horse or a dog. We think we're conscious. We think we guide our own actions. What if what we call consciousness is also rendered primitive and painfully limited by way of comparison with the next level of consciousness that we ourselves introduce to the Universe?

Are we well on our way to creating a planet-sized alien being? Have all events on Earth – the conversion of primordial molecules into self-replicating cells, multi-celled organisms, complex life, human consciousness, and the dawn of science and technology – been leading to this? Is this how the Universe turns the corner?

Old 11-26-2014, 03:48 PM

37,069 posts, read 38,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
This logic is completely flawed. Without knowing the probability of an event, you can't say anything about chances. It's like saying "there are 7 billion people on Earth. Chances are, at least one of them is 50 feet tall." See?
We don't know the probability but the amount of stars in the known universe is often described as the total of grains of sands on earths beaches. Each of those stars potentially has many planets and each of those planets may have moons. We can never know the extent of the Universe.

When you consider the ingredients for life could exist in our own solar system on some of the moons of Saturn and Jupiter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or