U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,906,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. However, if the Oculus Rift headset is to be shipped out including an Xbox controller, that certainly seems to suggest something.
I don't believe there are any plans to produce Xbox One compatibility. It's just not made to work with Xbox One. The minimum specifications for the Rift are way above what an Xbox One can do. I'm not saying VR could never happen with Xbox One but I am saying it could never happen with the Rift CV1. They would have to release a new product (Oculus Rift-X perhaps?) accounting for all of the console's drawbacks.

The PS4 is over 40% more powerful than Xbox One and it needed a number of [albeit clever] tricks (that the Rift doesn't have any of) in order to work in VR and it's widely known that experiences will be far more rudimentary on PSVR than on Rift and Vive. Xbox One simply can't output 3024x1680@90 fps. Many games on the system run at 1600x900@30 fps and only have to be rendered once -- the processing load required for Rift is therefore TWENTY-ONE times greater than what Xbox One does given parity of game assets. If Xbox One ever does VR it's going to need a purpose-made set that works with its severe shortcomings, not the Rift CV1.

However, I DO see the confusion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Still, one would have to wonder, why include shipping an Xbox One controller as part of the Oculus Rift bundle?
That's because the Xbox 360 controller (and later Xbox One controller) has been used with Rift for several years already. My buddy has a few 360 ones sitting around. It's just a default controller. Oculus / Facebook wanted a decent pack-in wireless controller and decided to go with what everyone has been using all along anyway.

So the Rift will work with
  • gaze (look where you want to go, stare to select, etc.)
  • the little remote control that comes with it (just like the temple controls on Gear VR)
  • mouse and keyboard
  • wireless gamepad that comes with it
  • higher end stuff like steering wheel / pedals and flight stick / HOTAS
  • later in the year the Oculus Touch finger / hand controllers
Microsoft is playing in this space, to some extent, of course. They have Direct X 12 / Direct 3D 12 (in Windows 10) which has some enticing VR-related features. They have the Kinect. Minecraft. And of course they're working on the MR headset called Hololens (don't expect that in 2016 and don't expect it for under $1K).

It may be possible to stream Xbox One (among many other sources) to a PC that can then power the Rift and display content in a virtual desktop / theater with head-tracking and 3D rendered chairs and walls and stuff. Or perhaps you'll even be able output HDMI from Xbox One directly to Rift and stare at simply a static screen to play a game -- but you won't have any head-tracking nor any stereoscopic 3D in that case.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 01-07-2016 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Main thing I'm looking forward to is fully immersive environments. It's probably decades away but I would pay hundred of thousands to get such a set up.
Synthetic Reality.

Yup, that's the ultimate dream. Something like the Holodeck from Star Trek, or the virtual worlds that patch directly into your brain from the Tad Williams series Otherland.

However, I would definitely settle for The Oasis from the book Ready Player One.

I have NO DOUBT we'll get there one way or another, but it is decades away as you said.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 AM

3,848 posts, read 1,476,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Synthetic Reality.

Yup, that's the ultimate dream. Something like the Holodeck from Star Trek, or the virtual worlds that patch directly into your brain from the Tad Williams series Otherland.

However, I would definitely settle for The Oasis from the book Ready Player One.

I have NO DOUBT we'll get there one way or another, but it is decades away as you said.
I know people that would probably never leave if that was reality lol.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:36 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,365,466 times
Quote:
I might be one of them or at the very least stay there a lot. In fact I am already planning my perfect Pueblo that I can live in at least part of the time once we get this technology.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I might be one of them or at the very least stay there a lot. In fact I am already planning my perfect Pueblo that I can live in at least part of the time once we get this technology.
I would be a adventurer in a swords and socery world!

Old 01-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That's the premise in Ready Player One. Real reality of the future is really crummy (collapsed infrastructure and economy), virtual reality of the future is pretty spectacular, so most people make the quite logical and reasonable choice to spend most of their time in VR.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
That's the premise in Ready Player One. Real reality of the future is really crummy (collapsed infrastructure and economy), virtual reality of the future is pretty spectacular, so most people make the quite logical and reasonable choice to spend most of their time in VR.
I can honestly see that being a issue that we will have to deal with.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I would be a adventurer in a swords and socery world!
Sounds interesting. Mine will be boring in comparison as it will be just a normal world where Pueblo is large with sky scrapers and I am in the .01% and live downtown in a highrise. If people come to visit me in my VR world they would get bored fast as when we travel anywhere it would be like today taking a plane and flying for hours lol. They would be like umm cant we just think it and we are there? I would be like no we have to fly and yes its a 10 hour flight to Europe lol.

Although beyond that imagine the possibilities. See what life was like in the Roman days or on the Titanic. Go to Mars or Pluto now. Anything you can imagine can and will be done.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Sounds interesting. Mine will be boring in comparison as it will be just a normal world where Pueblo is large with sky scrapers and I am in the .01% and live downtown in a highrise. If people come to visit me in my VR world they would get bored fast as when we travel anywhere it would be like today taking a plane and flying for hours lol. They would be like umm cant we just think it and we are there? I would be like no we have to fly and yes its a 10 hour flight to Europe lol.

Although beyond that imagine the possibilities. See what life was like in the Roman days or on the Titanic. Go to Mars or Pluto now. Anything you can imagine can and will be done.
I'll bet in your world Pueblo is the capital of Colorado . I long for a medieval style world with magic and swords dragons and vast unspoiled wilderness.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I'll bet in your world Pueblo is the capital of Colorado . I long for a medieval style world with magic and swords dragons and vast unspoiled wilderness.
Yes with subways and a large international airport and fairs and events that are like NYC and london. Oh but dont worry Colorado Springs will be a nice suburb well decent one anyway.

I would actually love to see what it was like to live in every time from the stone age to today. So i would visit those time periods and even stay for a bit just to see what it was like.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-08-2016 at 04:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology