U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 05:31 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Oh I'm totally on board with VR this year, I just mean that AMD card is a lot of money for no gain. You could get a 980Ti now and a 1080Ti in a year or two for less money combined than that $1500 AMD card and not see any difference. The requirements for VR are high but once you've met them there's literally no benefit to having more operations per second -- unless you're doing developer work or you also want extreme TFLOPS for 4K or higher flat gaming.

If you're not there already, https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/ is a great place to learn about the Vive.
Oh ok good point. I will not be getting the vive till fall and that is when I will buy my computer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 AM

4,981 posts, read 7,760,512 times
Default Virtual Desktop

Apps already available. The host is using HTC Vive. This one is called "Virtual Desktop 1.0", which lets you interface with your desktop in a variety of very cool ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdtd6ZHBlY

Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 AM

5,644 posts, read 4,899,499 times
Yup, I bought Virtual Desktop day one (which for me was April 6). But I've actually used the new Big Screen much more since it came out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/commen...nown_problems/
It's like Virtual Desktop + Social VR. Still in early beta form of course.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM

4,981 posts, read 7,760,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Yup, I bought Virtual Desktop day one (which for me was April 6). But I've actually used the new Big Screen much more since it came out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/commen...nown_problems/
It's like Virtual Desktop + Social VR. Still in early beta form of course.
Taking into account that there's certainly more room for improvement, I take it that you generally like it? From what I could see in the review/demo, it looks pretty cool.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:12 AM

I enjoy Big Screen -- my buddy who has the Rift CV1 and I have used it several times now. The first couple times were just testing and enjoying the novelty of it, but we've also used it just to show each other something. Chat on Steam, jump into Big Screen and talk and share screens. I've also used it a few times just by my self in a private room when I wanted to look something up or send an email but didn't want to exit VR.

I think it won't truly be a viable desktop-replacement until form factor / comfort increases, screen resolution hits at least 4K, and the lenses' sweet spot increases (although the Rift almost has that last bit already covered).

Old 05-07-2016, 01:16 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,569,719 times
I was excited for VR. I fully intended on upgrading my computer next year so I could get a VR set, the video card I have right now is not quite enough for VR. Then I saw the $800 price point on a VR set, and all excitement I did have drained away rather quickly. I spent $850 building this machine, and while it's no super rig, it plays everything but GTA 5 at maxed out settings at 60+ FPS. VR costing damn near the same price as my computer is just waay to much for me. I will wait until VR comes down to a reasonable price before getting excited for it again, somewhere in the $250 - $350 range.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:23 PM

Yah, I understand. You might look at the new Geforce 1070 that was just announced last night. It will bring unprecedented power for the price with no need for a mega watt PSU. They also introduced the 1080 which they say is as fast as two 980s in SLI. Oh, and they say they're finally going to be using DX12's ability to do one-video-card-per-eye SLI in VR (though anything above a single 980Ti is probably overkill for first-gen VR other than Elite Dangerous or Project Cars and other such sims).

The prices right now are definitely in 'early adopter' territory. There was no question I was going to get it and it's been worth every penny and then some already (see my rant above about all the other crap people blow lots of $ on) but it is a lot to ask. Second generation VR (2018-2019) will be higher res, better FOV, better lenses, probably tetherless, some killer apps will be out, will have foveated rendering and possibly a a three-focal-area Lightfield implementation, hand/finger tracking built right in, better comfort / smaller form factor, more options for customization, and will likely be more in the $400-$500 range including tracking and in-world tracked controllers. Better in every way and half as much.

My job is to show it to people to get them talking about it and thinking of the possibilities. I know most aren't going to ask "how much?" and when they hear $800 + shipping + tax + games / software + make sure you have a recent i5 or i7 and at least a Geforce 970 and 8 GBs RAM they go ahead and take the plunge. I actually kind of enjoy this period right now and the last couple of years. Early adopters / enthusiasts dominate right now. In five years there will be ten or twenty times as many people in VR.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:20 AM

5,278 posts, read 2,667,636 times
I still don't like VR really much. I have to press buttons in order to walk, I don't feel anything other than sight, and it feels weird. I wouldn't like if you could feel tactile stimulations by VR, you could feel pain, and I already know there has been an ethical debate about that. I don't like the idea very much. I still vastly prefer traditional gaming/whatelse.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I still don't like VR really much.
You're entitled to your opinions, but...
Quote:
I have to press buttons in order to walk...
Not if you don't want to. There are alternatives being worked on, things like redirected walking and real-time photogrammetry with tetherless HMDs. There are several teleportation mechanics being used (my favorite so far being the amazing Budget Cuts demo). There are a lot of other locomotion ideas being looked at.

But one big thing even right now is Room-Scale VR -- walking around in VR space yourself in a 1:1 ratio. It's wonderful. It's what the Vive does so well.

What is your experience with VR? Have you tried the Vive? If not, I highly recommend you give it a try. I'm definitely not saying you'll want to spend the money on first-gen VR or that you should, but the vast majority of skeptics who try the Vive come away impressed and dreaming about what VR will be able to do in the future. Being INSIDE an environment created out of 1s and 0s, where you can walk around and see your hands and interact with things, is a revelation.
Quote:
I don't feel anything other than sight...
Um, and audio. Some of the 3D positional audio is stunningly good! It's so cool to be inside this virtual dimension and being able to close your eyes and locate sources of sound in vast spherical space around your ears as you move your head around.

What we also find is we have some sense of tactile sensation as well. For instance, in Longbow or Holopoint or H3, you can *feel* the tension of the bow as you pull back the arrow through the high definition haptic feedback provided by the controllers. In Audioshield you can *feel* the fireballs of sound as they hit your shields. In WhiskersBox, there's not even any haptic feedback, but several users have mentioned being able to *feel* the whiskers as they move their hands through them. Using the Leap Motion Orion (a hand/finger tracking system that works extremely well), a number of users report phahtom weight and phantom pressure or tingling from picking things up, pushing them, etc.
Quote:
and it feels weird...
Not sure what you mean here. It feels really cool to me, but it has a lot of variety and we're in the very beginning of life for it (infancy).
Quote:
I wouldn't like if you could feel tactile stimulations...
But you were just saying you only have video (and audio). Anyway, additional haptics are under development. There are two very promising haptic glove developments that I know of, for instance, and lots of other ideas for haptics. There's also a really cool vestibular stimulation system that's already been demoed (at CES). Why would you not like tactile stimulation?
Quote:
...you could feel pain... and I already know there has been an ethical debate about that...
Source? I'd like to see where you've seen that pain simulators are in development, and the debate about that. VR and AR have great potential for therapeutic usage. Treatment of PTSD, phobia and revulsion therapy, fitness and physical therapy, improvement of motor skills, etc.
Quote:
I don't like the idea very much.
I just find this kind of strange. There's room for criticizing first-gen VR perhaps -- but to be against the idea of VR itself? I'm 41 and I've been looking forward to VR pretty much since I learned to play. I want Ready Player One, Snowcrash, Otherland, the Holodeck. VR is a powerful way to interact with digital environments. It's the end of the Information Age and the beginning of the Experience Age. It's being able to show people how it feels to be someone else, somewhere else. It's moving past flat, severely compromised representations and into the three-dimensional space that we all actually inhabit. It's the ultimate evolution of the symbolic thinking and person-to-person communication that we started with cave paintings and cuneiform writings and meaningful vocalizations.
Quote:
I still vastly prefer traditional gaming/whatelse.
Fair enough. I personally can't play on tiny flat static windows anymore, after having BEEN INSIDE. It feels completely wrong. I'm just not interested in flat games any more.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:26 AM

3,619 posts, read 1,369,000 times
the 3d and virtual technology is moving so fast, I was involved in second life for 7 years and almost feel like it was a total waste of time and money. project sansar is interesting but something will come along to make it obsolete soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology