Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 02:56 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Nepenthe do you think in 20 to 30 years from now a average laptop or tablet will be powerful enough for it?
20 or 30? Yes. I would expect each of them to be around one thousand times more capable by then, so I'd think even a run of the mill handheld or portable computer will have the horsepower by then to push 8 million or 16 million pixels with many rendering passes at 144 Hz. It's hard to speculate about technology that far into the future. It's a given that AR/MR/VR will be used in a lot of different areas of life and industry but who knows what we'll have by then. We may be able to send electrically processed signals directly into the grey matter (our reality, all that we perceive, is just our plug-and-play senses turning their inputs into electrical signals which the brain turns back into sensory input of one kind or another in order to sew together a narrative about where we are and what we're doing and who we are).

I think within two years a machine that can run 1st gen full boat six axis VR will be only a few hundred dollars including the headset (currently you're looking at a $600 Samsung phone and $100 headset, or a $300 PS4 and a $300 PSVR headset unless you look at the really cheap stuff like Google Cardboard or one of the 10,000 VR headsets the New England Patriots gave away last Sunday at the game; the Vive and Rift, if you're buying a PC from scratch, would be minimum $800 PC and probably $400 headset). But by then we'll have stuff like StarVR, which has eye tracking, full 210 degree panorama (it literally covers everywhere your eye can see and then some), possibly 120 Hz, much higher resolution, millimeter-precise 360 tracking, etc. which will require a high-end PC as it exists in 2018.

My opinion of Playstation VR has changed a lot in the past week. Sony really has its stuff together. They will be bringing a great product to market.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 12-08-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 01:18 PM

This thing sounds wonderful.

My Experience with Playstation VR at PSX
  • loved it
  • great, detailed impressions
  • says the resolution could be a bit higher but head tracking, screen door effect, and field of view were all really good
  • says 3D audio and immersive controls (steering wheel, Move controllers, flight stick) will be key to keeping immersion
  • and no motion sickness
And this:

Well That Was Impressive: Playstation VR Hands On

Quote:
I was immediately impressed with the fidelity of what I was looking at. I didn't detect even a hint of "screen door," and the graphics were crisp and clear.

The screen was incredibly clear. I asked how this is possible with a 1080p display, and I was given a response that should have been obvious: Sony has been making cameras for decades and has a great deal of experience developing optics.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 12-09-2015 at 01:31 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 03:21 AM

1,230 posts, read 992,019 times
I would like to get World of Warcraft in VR it would really be awesome.

Also any news google maps and google street view will be in VR?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:35 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,281 times
If someone has to escape or augment their actual reality, that speaks volumes as to the real problem. Them.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
If someone has to escape or augment their actual reality, that speaks volumes as to the real problem. Them.
Yah. I've been augmenting my reality since I was a few years old. I've done it through reading books, playing games, seeing new things, meditating, traveling, watching films and television shows, playing videogames, and now I'll be doing it through VR and AR experiences.

VR is really cool. I don't understand people like you. All I can think is that you're really, REALLY old, set in your ways, and not open to new experiences and new technology. It's one thing to critique the price or FOV or refresh rate or input devices... but to make some blanket statement like this? Do you feel the same about novels?

VR is a new way of communication. It is the future. It is eventually going to be the culmination of our communication technology which began with the first grunts, cave paintings, and cuneiform writings. It's a way to bring a whole EXPERIENCE to someone else. I don't know what could be more human or more awesome.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 12-29-2015 at 05:06 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I would like to get World of Warcraft in VR it would really be awesome.

Also any news google maps and google street view will be in VR?
Been available for a while. I've used it a number of times in the DK2. It's neat. It's available even in Google Cardboard:

You Can Now Use Google Street View In Virtual Reality

What I think will eventually supplant it is this:

Photogrammetry in Vegas

I think at some point, we'll have mapped out a lot of areas in cities and towns in 3D using photogrammetry, so that they can truly be experienced in VR.

Quote:
"Imagine what mankind can do if we exempt ourselves from the laws of physics -- that's what VR is."
VR was a huge hit over the holidays. I've seen a number of threads on Reddit and other places about the experiences of people showing Gear VR to their families.

I Gave My Family A Taste Of VR For Christmas

Imagine what this will be like a year from now, when there are a million PSVRs, Rifts, and Vives out there and they're hitting their second wave of software.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 AM

NPR has been covering VR nicely lately. Here is the fourth story in the last two weeks.

Is 2016 The Year Virtual Reality Finally Goes Mainstream? : NPR

Old 12-30-2015, 04:12 PM

1,230 posts, read 992,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Been available for a while. I've used it a number of times in the DK2. It's neat. It's available even in Google Cardboard:

You Can Now Use Google Street View In Virtual Reality

What I think will eventually supplant it is this:

Photogrammetry in Vegas

I think at some point, we'll have mapped out a lot of areas in cities and towns in 3D using photogrammetry, so that they can truly be experienced in VR.
VR was a huge hit over the holidays. I've seen a number of threads on Reddit and other places about the experiences of people showing Gear VR to their families.

I Gave My Family A Taste Of VR For Christmas

Imagine what this will be like a year from now, when there are a million PSVRs, Rifts, and Vives out there and they're hitting their second wave of software.
So how long before World of Warcraft come out for VR? It not even out in 4K!!

World of Warcraft is not even out in 4K yet.

Google street view may take some time because of slow internet. A VR of google street view would probably use GB of data in day and TB in week of data.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:26 PM

Happy New Year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adq6O2-VnYY

Old 01-03-2016, 11:51 PM

Nice video that explains a little about why so many of us are excited about room-scale.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=Nm3qhVMnC_o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology