Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:42 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

I want VR is this year just not sure what brand I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 06:16 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I want VR is this year just not sure what brand I want.
Oculus Rift headset is available for pre-order. Price is $599. Along with the headset, included is an Xbox One controller and a couple of games (see videos below). Shipment is expected in March. I understand a few other companies are likely to be developing similar VR headsets. I would guess that prices will eventually drop as competition increases.

Oculus Rift Now Available for Pre-Order for $599 - NBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqEm1fXBWKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtBUkmHS0w

Old 01-06-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Google street view may take some time because of slow internet. A VR of google street view would probably use GB of data in day and TB in week of data.
That would be very cool though.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Oculus Rift headset is available for pre-order. Price is $599. Along with the headset, included is an Xbox One controller and a couple of games (see videos below). Shipment is expected in March. I understand a few other companies are likely to be developing similar VR headsets. I would guess that prices will eventually drop as competition increases.

Oculus Rift Now Available for Pre-Order for $599 - NBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqEm1fXBWKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amtBUkmHS0w
I saw but what is better them or Sony?

Old 01-06-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I saw but what is better them or Sony?
I wish I could tell you. It's really hard to guess. They'll both have their pros and cons. Sony's PS VR seems to be lower in price at about $399. It's scheduled to be released sometime in the first half of this year, roughly about the same as Oculus Rift.

Oculus Rift vs. PlayStation VR | Spec Comparison | Digital Trends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFx6YeR22W4

Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I wish I could tell you. It's really hard to guess. They'll both have their pros and cons. Sony's PS VR seems to be lower in price at about $399. It's scheduled to be released sometime in the first half of this year, roughly about the same as Oculus Rift.

Oculus Rift vs. PlayStation VR | Spec Comparison | Digital Trends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFx6YeR22W4
I think I will wait till best buy has them and I can compare them side by side.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I think I will wait till best buy has them and I can compare them side by side.
I think being able to compare them would be the best idea. Still, it might depend on what you're comparing though.

What some of the comparisons seem to be suggesting, Sony's will be pretty much tied to the Playstation. Programs would likely be high quality, but fewer choices. Sony's headset is said to be adjustable to allow use by people who wear glasses.

The Oculus Rift on the other hand is compatible with Xbox One and PC's. Quality of programs will no doubt vary widely, but there are a lot more programs to choose from.

From most of the information I've seen, most of the programs for either system are games. I'm pretty sure that will change over time to include a much wider variety of applications.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 PM

1,333 posts, read 882,650 times
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but I for one am very excited about VR. As a programmer, it's seriously one of the most exciting things to not only program a game, but to be *part* of your game in a way that is nothing like a regular non-vr computer game or phone game.
I have one of the most exciting projects I've ever worked on in preparation for the Oculus, Gear and Cardboard.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I think being able to compare them would be the best idea. Still, it might depend on what you're comparing though.

What some of the comparisons seem to be suggesting, Sony's will be pretty much tied to the Playstation. Programs would likely be high quality, but fewer choices. Sony's headset is said to be adjustable to allow use by people who wear glasses.

The Oculus Rift on the other hand is compatible with Xbox One and PC's. Quality of programs will no doubt vary widely, but there are a lot more programs to choose from.

From most of the information I've seen, most of the programs for either system are games. I'm pretty sure that will change over time to include a much wider variety of applications.
Interesting analysis thank you. At this point I'm not sure what i am looking for lol

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-07-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Interesting analysis thank you. At this point I'm not sure what is looking for lol
Same here. I don't really know which would be best. It'd be hard to knock either one. The thing about Oculus is that I think you'd pretty much need a high end PC for best results. Essentially, these gadgets are accessories. With the PlayStation, I think all you need to do is plug it into the console and you're good to go. With Oculus, I think you need to add other things to use with a PC. I'm not sure about the Xbox One. But I'm seeing that certain controllers are needed, which I think is bundled along with the Oculus headset which I think might be for use with the Xbox One, but not necessarily for the PC. I'm not really certain about all that though.

Here's a new article that might be helpful for more information about Rift vs Sony.
The Oculus Rift
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology