U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:53 AM

440 posts, read 669,734 times

Advertisements

Don't understand. All throughout the 90s there's this collective gasp at the wonders of VR. Novels are written on them, with them as backdrop. Movies are made by the dozen. Some even mainstream fare like Disclosure(Michael Douglas, Demi Moore) which was really just an erotic thriller had virtual reality shoved into it. I mean it was going to be HUGE.

And now that Samsung, Google, Sony and the Oculus rift(I'd imagine Microsoft and Apple jumping in soon) have patented their machines and are hiding for launch.....there's hardly any excitement. Apart from the Internet nerds most of the public doesn't even know what VR is, let alone know Oculus Rift. Samsungs GEAR VR launches next week but there's hardly any press.

Why?
The reviews are stunning. They're saying(and these being tech and game professionals) that the experience is awe inspiring, how will it hit the unassuming public? It could literally change our species(though very gradually). I tried the RIFT cinema and I was blown to bits. I think this can kill theaters, it's that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 AM

10,835 posts, read 12,882,415 times
You can't be this naive.

Because WE'VE HEARD IT ALL BEFORE. Yea, it was exciting in the 90's... and guess what? It sucked. It didn't just suck. It was HORRIBLE.

Put something out there, THEN you will see some excitement. Now? Just more blablabla...

Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 AM

16,874 posts, read 51,398,709 times
Plus, people do not like headgear. 3D has repeatedly shown that. Notice that even the Google Glass idea is pretty ho-hum for most people.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:55 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,156,503 times
Yep - it's the headgear. I don't want anything strapped to my face. Plus, there's nothing wrong with Actual Reality (AR).

Old 11-26-2014, 01:01 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
Most people have no clue how VR is going to change everything. Once its out then you will see the excitement grow. I mean just look at the smartphone. Right before it came out no one was talking about it yet in less then a decade it has had a profound impact on society in ways most people would have guessed back then.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Most people have no clue how VR is going to change everything...
Please expound for the clueless. I certainly don't think it will change everything - I doubt it will have any impact at all on elephants.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Please expound for the clueless. I certainly don't think it will change everything - I doubt it will have any impact at all on elephants.
Just off the top of my head:

It will change how we watch tv and movies. Now we will live them not just watch them.

It will change how students and people learn. Imagine not just learning how the Romans lived but living it? Actually watching President Lincoln give the Gettysburg address. Not just looking at space but visiting it. Dinosaurs? The list goes on and on.

Travel. Now we can travel anywhere we want without leaving our house.

and more as this will impact more then just the gaming industry.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Just off the top of my head:

It will change how we watch tv and movies. Now we will live them not just watch them.

I don't think so. Movies aren't interactive entertainment.

It will change how students and people learn. Imagine not just learning how the Romans lived but living it? Actually watching President Lincoln give the Gettysburg address. Not just looking at space but visiting it. Dinosaurs? The list goes on and on.

Maybe for those with short attention spans.

Travel. Now we can travel anywhere we want without leaving our house.

That's not travel - it's the same as watching a movie about some travel destination.

and more as this will impact more then just the gaming industry.
The only viable application of VR is in the medical field.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
The only viable application of VR is in the medical field.
Wait 5-10 years and you will see I am right.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:57 PM

5,644 posts, read 4,908,308 times
Quote:
Yep - it's the headgear. I don't want anything strapped to my face. Plus, there's nothing wrong with Actual Reality (AR).
AR is typically used to denote Augmented Reality.
----------------------
I am HUGELY excited for VR and AR. I have been using the Oculus Rift DK2 extensively and I'm starting to learn Unity and work in VR.

I liked how this guy put it:

Crescent Bay: Everything Will Change
Quote:
The Rift, as Michael Abrash is fond of saying, is the ultimate realization of what we’ve been doing with language for hundreds of thousands of years. All this time, we’ve told stories and conveyed information using organs that evolved for other things. Ears evolved to hear predators and mating calls and waterfalls, but we hijack them to deliver streams of little controlled singsong that we call speech. Eyes evolved to sense the world around us, to better sense danger, and to perceive ourselves and others, and we started hijacking the optic nerve by putting patterns of ink on pages that we interpret and decode as representations with our visual system.

This is a level of abstraction that is a necessary evil, but it is an abstraction just the same. Telling someone something, describing a scene, or showing a 2D image or movie to someone of a scene is not the same thing as experiencing it. We now, with the Rift, have the possibility of directly conveying ideas in the form of experiences. This is power beyond our comprehension. The full possibilities of this medium will not be reached for a thousand years. Anything that we can conceive of, we might be able to experience.
Also love his descriptions of the Crescent Bay demos, and the sense of being there.

It is stunning what the brain can fill in. I've been on vertiginous roller coasters, felt peace in an idyllic nature setting, and felt tension and fear unlike anything I've felt before in a game or media experience.

The technology is coming along. Personally I already think some of the things I've done in VR - mind you, I'm talking about games - has been FABULOUS. The sense of getting sucked into the game is profound. Even Half-Life 2, a ten-year old game, even on the DK2, produced this feeling that I was for the very first time actually SEEING everything because I was THERE.

I'm looking forward to new ways of experiencing, new ways of learning, new ways of thinking, new ways of socializing, new ways of working, new ways of shopping.

Here's a thread where I was effusive in my praise: Have any of you played the oculus rift
----------------------
My company is already experimenting with the Oculus Rift as a customer application. And, I can see five or ten years from now slipping on the VR and having the equivalent of ten screens around me rather than relying on a few flat monitors.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 11-26-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology