U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:20 AM

2,762 posts, read 2,627,267 times

Advertisements

This is not fun, WWW in the context you are talking about is not an invention, it's the standardization of Internet with a protocol. It's an administrative function rather then a scientific discovery. What they did with WWW is not a scientific discovery. It's just rules for making a standard protocol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 10:11 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,755,003 times
I worked at CERN between 1980 - 1984. I am not a physicist, I worked in the IT organization. At the time, we had very large CDC and IBM computers as well as a bunch of DEC, Data general, etc.. Although CERN was a particle physics laboratory, their IT needs were cutting edge and there was a lot of research going on in CERN to build computers that were fast enough and big to process the data coming in from the colliders as well as to facilitate academic collaboration across the world. As such, manufacturers like IBM were constantly giving us new technology to test out. Although I was there pre-WWW, there was a lot of computer to computer communication already happening and we were also beginning to experiment with email. As such, WWW was an extension and a rationalization of what they were already doing.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:26 PM

5,092 posts, read 4,366,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
This is not fun, WWW in the context you are talking about is not an invention, it's the standardization of Internet with a protocol. It's an administrative function rather then a scientific discovery. What they did with WWW is not a scientific discovery. It's just rules for making a standard protocol.
DPolo, this tells me that you don't understand the meaning of Tim Berner-Lee's creation.

Of course it's not a scientific discovery, neither was the Phoenicians' written alphabet. Both were inventions which greatly expanded human communications. You could disparage Berner-Lee's work by saying that anyone could have made it, but consider that while Internet came into existence sometime around 1975 or earlier, no one devised a complete system for the basis of the World Wide Web until 1990 - fifteen years later. If it was such a simple thing, surely someone would have done it earlier.

Also, consider the extent of the work:
  • Hyper Text Markup Language
  • Hyper Text Transfer Protocol
  • The first Web Browser, which also doubled as a Web Editor
  • The first Web Server software
  • The first Web Server

This wasn't simply establishing a standardization of the Internet, it was something quite different: an application that made an existing technology much more valuable. The Web is to the Internet as the automobile is to the internal combustion engine.

My original observation was made to address your opinion stated below:

Quote:
CERN phasility has been operational for a number of years now, since 29 September 1954, according to wiki. If there was something valuable there we would have created more places like it.
No mention of 'scientific discoveries' there, just a complaint that there wasn't anything of value that was produced by CERN in over 60+ years.

I merely pointed out the irony of you posting a complaint about CERN's supposed lack of value via a medium made possible by CERN.

It's sort of like a person publishing a letter in the local newspaper disparaging Johannes Gutenberg.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
DPolo, this tells me that you don't understand the meaning of Tim Berner-Lee's creation.

Also, consider the extent of the work:
  • Hyper Text Markup Language
  • Hyper Text Transfer Protocol
  • The first Web Browser, which also doubled as a Web Editor
  • The first Web Server software
  • The first Web Server

This wasn't simply establishing a standardization of the Internet, it was something quite different: an application that made an existing technology much more valuable. The Web is to the Internet as the automobile is to the internal combustion engine.
Yes my friend it was, I work in IT, and I remember that. Basically Time came when this technology was needed, many were doing this technology in their own way. Then they started to standardize it via W3, In often came down to some business remaining and some disappearing because of the standardization.

Mosaic (web browser) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your read about the first web browser you will see that it supported many protocols and then these guys came alone and standardized 1 protocol. To this day W3 does not invent anything, they make things a standard. Recently they made HTML5 Standard.

I am sorry if I am overly negative on them, but they are not gods of all things awesome to me !

Old 01-16-2015, 07:45 AM

Tim Berner-Lee delivered his technology (HTTP, HTML, Web Server, Web Browser Software, a functional Web Browser Server) in 1990.

From your own link, development on Mosaic didn't start until 1992. The delivery dates of all of the browsers mentioned in your link:

- ViolaWWW, delivered in 1991 (and ViolaWWW was developed at CERN)
- Erwise, delivered in 1992
- MidasWWW, delivered in 1992
- tkWWW, delivered in 1992
- Mosaic, delivered in 1993
- Cello, delivered in 1993

All of this followed CERN's work.

Prior to HTTP/HTML there were only FTP, NNTP, and gopher. All technologies that could arguably be called alternatives to HTTP, but all which failed to take off like HTTP.

And no, the World Wide Web Consortium doesn't invent anything, but then the W3C isn't CERN.

I also work in IT, since 1985. Software developer in business applications. My more recent projects have leveraged SQL Server, ASP.Net Web Applications, ASP.Net Web API, and Android.

But you go ahead and keep claiming that CERN offers nothing of value, on a web site driven by CERN technology.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:21 PM

Mosaic was not delivered by CERN.

Your a computer programmer, True is even all statements are True and False is when at least one is false, Mosaic is all US of freaking A.

Once again, there is published work by professionals, administrators examine it and made something standard.

Not scientific discovery, but administration OF SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY...

Old 01-17-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Mosaic was not delivered by CERN.
I never said that Mosaic was delivered by CERN. Nice of you to offer, but I'm not in the mood for red herring.

Quote:
Your a computer programmer, True is even all statements are True and False is when at least one is false,
Please, when trying to be condescending, know the difference between "your" and "you're".

Quote:
Mosaic is all US of freaking A.
'Murica! F*ck Yeah!

Quote:
Once again, there is published work by professionals, administrators examine it and made something standard.

Not scientific discovery, but administration OF SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERY...
I'm convinced by now that you simply have no clue about the point that I'm making.

But you keep going ahead and keep claiming that CERN offers nothing of value, on a web site made possible by CERN technology.

Since I know by know that you simply must have the last word, I shall fulfill your wish by no longer responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology