U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 AM

1,500 posts, read 616,297 times

Advertisements

I've puzzled over this, from time to time. It is a huge facility dedicated to particle physics experiments, buried in the mountains of Geneva, from which we have got the world wide web, and discovered the Higgs Boson particle. I'm wondering if people ascribe a higher motivation to the purpose of the facility and what that might be or mean to individuals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,049 posts, read 4,796,047 times
Knowledge and the possibility of unlimited fusion energy. New knowledge of our universe (and perhaps other universes) is my prime interest.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,686,543 times
It is a big machine designed to help figure out how the universe works at very small levels. Just knowing how the place you live in works is a pretty good idea.

There is something about reconciling the physics explaining Gravity and Quantum Mechanics. Apparently the mathematics leads to such things as String Theory.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM

2,351 posts, read 4,952,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I've puzzled over this, from time to time. It is a huge facility dedicated to particle physics experiments, buried in the mountains of Geneva, from which we have got the world wide web, and discovered the Higgs Boson particle. I'm wondering if people ascribe a higher motivation to the purpose of the facility and what that might be or mean to individuals?
Do you have some kind of theory that CERN is not what it appears to be? If so, please do share. Otherwise, Google is your friend.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 PM

Or watch the documentary "Particle Fever" on Netflix.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:31 PM

6,459 posts, read 5,928,413 times
To run little things into each other at great velocity to see what happens.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:48 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,634,882 times
It was funded by 20 Eu states at the cost of 3.74 billion. It basically has particles traveling at the speed of lite and from time colliding.

US Congress did not approve the funds to build one like that in the US.

Their last discovery is the Hicks particle, that allegedly makes things have mass.

As far as I know there is no practical benefits of all these experiments to date

Old 01-02-2015, 03:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,115,315 times
I bet people were saying the same crap when physicists like Planck, Heisenberg, Bohr, Schrodinger, Pauli and Dirac were working on quantum mechanics. You can thank them for the computer you are writing these silly posts on.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:13 PM

2,762 posts, read 2,634,882 times
It's not really crap, this is based on financial laws. Basically when dealing with large investments into R&D, we are looking for practical returns.

If some-one spend 4 billion EU or research that has no practical implementations, it's just theoretical paperwork published by PHD's.

Since I don't have a PHD in theoretic physics, and I don't understand the language of those publications, I can ask a simple question. Did all that research make a better car engine ? Perfected Microwave oven? Are there any practical discoveries that better mankind from all of this. No ? Well it's not my tax dollars, maybe there will be practicals discoveries in the future from this.

If you fund a bunch PHD to do theoretical research, they are going to be publishing articles as long as the money is there. Your only Return on Investment are the patents that are derived from this research.

So "Have you discovered something that is practically useful ?" seems like a legitimate question.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:56 PM

Knowledge is the most valuable thing that can be discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology