U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 25,949 times

Advertisements

Well, it seems this little flying machines are becoming more and more popular each day. Somehow they are becoming a problem, because they don't require any education, training nor licence to operate them. There is no law which would constrict users to annoy other people with their little flying machines, or even fly them close to airports or big planes.....
I've been from Croatia. I guess there are not much drones here, so I never spotted one. Probably in some other places in world there are many of them and it is easier to spot them. Here is my question: Have you ever spotted a drone? or maybe even fly one? And what do you think of drones in generally?
I must admit, I still don't understand how one can fly a drone online, but I am doing on finding it out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 05:45 PM

38,677 posts, read 45,030,920 times
O' my gosh, what a coincidence, one landed in my back yard this afternoon, around 3pm, and these 3 fellows got out and started contemplating what to do with me. I got this photograph of them before they realized I had a camera, but now I don't know what my fate is, aaaarrrrg....

Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,508,001 times
I love this posting from Best of Craigslist

best of craigslist: i found your stupid drone.

i found your stupid drone.
march 29. saturday night. 10pm.

your quadcopter must have crashed. i found it squirming around in the middle of Fulton Street. felt like i was picking up a wounded animal with it buzzin' all around, camera lookin' at me with its one eye, not sure if it was dead or alive.

it was weird...

i didn't want the damn thing flying around the apartment, bumping into me or creeping out my girlfriend [too late!] and her stoney [and slightly paranoid] roommates, so i pulled the battery, cut the power and turned off the wireless.

if you want it back and/or you dont want me to see what's on the SD card, email me with the specifics or i'm gonna turn around and sell it on ebay to another one of you chumps.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:24 PM

23,633 posts, read 21,969,184 times
Just waiting for these to start flying up here in the hills and hollers of Tennessee.. Good ole boys & gals will have themselves a grand ole time sitting on the back porch with the shot gun and a case of ice cold beer,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le46ERPMlWU

Old 01-02-2015, 03:36 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,171,565 times
No I have not yet. But, when I was driving in the Las Vegas desert I spotted a Drone airport or some kind of Drone Facility there.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:36 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
The whole "drone" thing is so misunderstood. I fly radio controlled helicopters, and I've been flying them for years. Now, I get folks coming up to me asking about my "drones" and asking me if I know that it's illegal to fly "drones."

Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 PM

245 posts, read 569,076 times
I recently started flying one. They're really fun and I think everyone should safely experience flying one at one point in their lives. That might alleviate some of the stigma against these machines.

I agree that safety and privacy should be top priorities when it comes to these crafts. For these reasons, I never fly above any home or people. I usually go to rc flying fields or out in the middle of nowhere away from highways, National Parks, airports, or crowds of people. Places like these are hard to come by here in Los Angeles, but I do find some along road trips or when I go to the backroads off-roading. I also keep it under 400 feet and always maintain line of sight so it won't endanger aircrafts.

Those youtube vids you see people flying miles up above the clouds are amazing, but at the same time dangerous and irresponsible. I'm a proponent to proper training. I'm not an expert, but I'm slowly learning along the way. It would be good to have regulations to fly these, but hopefully it'll be a good compromise between hobbyists and everyone's safety and privacy. That means there should be laws to protect both the public and the UAV and its pilot... So no shooting them down when it's not doing anything wrong.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:14 PM

23,633 posts, read 21,969,184 times
It all boils down to common sense.. I flew R/C in Florida... and the idot that just got his first R/C Plane thinks for some odd reason it's a plane and were do planes fly... at the airport so I will take my plane to the local airport that has paved runways and fly my plane. For a small hand full of people doing foolish stuff will ruin it for every one else that uses common sense..

Old 01-04-2015, 12:34 PM

3,844 posts, read 5,104,740 times
Twice, I have seen a drone. Both times, it was white, and way up high; out of shotgun range. It must have been big for me to have spotted it with my bad eyes. It moved very slow and straight, headed due west each time. I've watched commercial airliners go over all the time here, and the occasional small craft out for a day ride. But these things creep me out! Maybe it's because I know they can see me very clearly and are probably sending the images to the NSA.

Should I give them something to really see next time?

Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,508,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Twice, I have seen a drone. Both times, it was white, and way up high; out of shotgun range. It must have been big for me to have spotted it with my bad eyes. It moved very slow and straight, headed due west each time. I've watched commercial airliners go over all the time here, and the occasional small craft out for a day ride. But these things creep me out! Maybe it's because I know they can see me very clearly and are probably sending the images to the NSA.

Should I give them something to really see next time?

Heck yeah!!

As long as you share it here too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology