U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2015, 07:03 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 1,037,780 times
Reputation: 878

Advertisements

Has the age of the Internet and instant media made
people more dull and unambitious today than people
were just a generation or so ago.

I mention this because back in the day current
events and new entertainment made people more
involved as a group. Now you can just go online to look at
news events and not feel interested at all in reading it
since everything is mass produced and oversupplied to a fault nowadays.

Same thing with movies and tv and Video games. Back
in the day it created excitement to go see your favorite
movie or play your favorite game. Nowadays so much
trash has been released that these things has lost some
of their magic with some people.

Has the digital age and instant media anytime you
want it killed people's interest in the world around them
and in new media releases. The so called "nothing is new
anymore".People today don't even show excitement when
new tech is made. Back in the day this was unheard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2015, 09:38 PM
 
15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
Reputation: 7619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Has the age of the Internet and instant media made people more dull and unambitious today than people were just a generation or so ago.
How are you defining "people"??? by age? ethnicity? etc... Question is very ambiguous...

Quote:
I mention this because back in the day current events and new entertainment made people more
involved as a group. Now you can just go online to look at news events and not feel interested at all in reading it since everything is mass produced and oversupplied to a fault nowadays.
What is "back in the day"? When newspapers sold on a corner the only way things were communicated?

Quote:
Same thing with movies and tv and Video games. Back in the day it created excitement to go see your favorite movie or play your favorite game. Nowadays so much trash has been released that these things has lost some of their magic with some people.
And? Since the beginning of time some people don't like "something"...

Talk about more ambiguity the above takes the cake, we are supposed to look in our crystal balls to figure out what you mean by "so much trash"??

Quote:
Has the digital age and instant media anytime you want it killed people's interest in the world around them and in new media releases. The so called "nothing is new anymore".People today don't even show excitement when new tech is made. Back in the day this was unheard of.
I'll look into my crystal ball to see "back to the day" and "People today don't even show excitement when new tech is made."



Nope, it just remains blank...

Perhaps if you would qualify some of your statements or better yet tell us which web site you copied/pasted this from we could better answer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Greater NYC, USA
2,762 posts, read 2,623,151 times
Reputation: 1707
I am a STEM worker, so I do allot research on the Internet.

I have my TV on when I am at home, and sometimes I work from home.

Have not been to a movie theater in years, the last time I have been to a movie theater I have notices that the quality of my home entertainment system is superior to the quality I am seeing in the movie theater. Many movie theaters have closed, just for that reason.

I have some old fashioned friends as well, these do not rely on credible sources in the internet for their news. Last night I was showing them Wikipedia articles trying to epxlain to them that most of their opinions where based or roomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Riding the light...
1,635 posts, read 1,383,870 times
Reputation: 1159
'Back in the day...' our town had two TV stations and one newspaper. We're we less interested? No, there wasn't much to be interested in, other than the real version of 'Friday Night Lights'. Political news was always at least a day later if not two or three days. Thanks to radio we knew about Kennedy. We didn't have to believe the news guys because there wasn't anyone to tell us differently. The movies... ??? In the 60's, movie formats were still working with the 40's model. Musicals were an outbreak of talent. Actors of that day were more of the mold of the old gal on 'Sunset Boulevard'... 'ready for her close up'. Not many of them would be working if it were today. 'The Graduate', and 'The Godfather' were outbreaks back then. Today it's Bradley Cooper or Christian Grey.

Thanks to the internet, the public today is constantly and consistently better informed with the information they need to make decisions. whether right wrong. THAT is the reason there is so much conflict. Also the reason we see more diversity conflict, and/or what seems to be people less interested.

As everything changes... it remains the same. Now, it's just in our face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
8,692 posts, read 11,422,950 times
Reputation: 3684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I am a STEM worker, so I do allot research on the Internet.

I have my TV on when I am at home, and sometimes I work from home.

Have not been to a movie theater in years, the last time I have been to a movie theater I have notices that the quality of my home entertainment system is superior to the quality I am seeing in the movie theater. Many movie theaters have closed, just for that reason.

I have some old fashioned friends as well, these do not rely on credible sources in the internet for their news. Last night I was showing them Wikipedia articles trying to epxlain to them that most of their opinions where based or roomers.
I had a roomer that had a great sound system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2015, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Sector 001
7,129 posts, read 5,944,806 times
Reputation: 8042
Would my life be better off without the internet? In some ways yes... but lack of discipline is the only reason. I choose to use it when I could choose to better myself. Life is about choices. No different than any other vice or addiction.

I do love my sound system. Polk CS2 center speaker, Monitor 70s in the front, Monitor 60s in the rear, nice subwoofer, 60 inch samsung, and a HTPC powered by an overclocked 2600K.... all my gaming from crysis to bioshock, etc.. movie playing, music, gets done on this setup. Just got this all back in action under a month ago so it's all 'new' to me yet.

I spend too much time browsing forums like this one. In the end people aren't going to remember my replies and I probably won't change the world with my political posts, I just waste time, and time is precious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles County
11,064 posts, read 8,986,001 times
Reputation: 28999
I would love to be able to disconnect from tech but I like it too much.

I'm a tortured soul!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 PM
 
1,009 posts, read 1,475,673 times
Reputation: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I had a roomer that had a great sound system.
A boomy roomer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top