U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:50 AM

2,762 posts, read 2,623,151 times

Advertisements

They say that ice age came from a meteorite hitting the earth, they sure say allot.

If there is no global warming, does it mean I still have to recycle ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 AM

97 posts, read 100,901 times
You wanna know what's happening to this planet? Open you eyes and follow the money.

'People need to have less things in life', says U.S. billionaire after flying into Davos on private jet with his wife, children and TWO nannies

*Jeff Greene made fortune betting against sub-prime mortgage securities
*He said: 'America's lifestyle expectations are far too high and need to be adjusted'
*Comments came as Greene flew into Switzerland on private jet with wife, children and two nannies in tow
*The skies above Switzerland have been crammed full with private jets

Americans need to have 'less things' in life, says billionaire Jeff Greene | Daily Mail Online

These are the people who would be in charge of reducing greenhouse gases. These folks wouldn't know a recycle bin if it fell on them, OK?

And my earlier comment still stands.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:03 PM

87 posts, read 69,571 times
global warming i$ a $ham.

10,000 years back the great lakes were under a mile deep sheets of ice? where was man back then?

one million or so years farther back the tropics were as far north as Alaska. where was man then?

man has very little effect on how the earth temps are.

when the earth is tired of us she will wipe us out and start anew...again.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:21 PM

can we even prove that green house pollution affects Microecology?

Old 01-22-2015, 03:12 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
Well, I'm not a world-renowned climatologist. And I would be dollars to doughnuts that nobody else on this thread is either.

But when the professor emeritus of climatology at MIT says that the data is shoddy, the theory is politically driven, and that important dissenting voices have been silenced either through intimidation or firing, then a reflective person should sit up and listen.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/changeyourm...transcript.pdf

Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 PM

So who is telling the truth, ABC or CNN ?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
I'm inclined to think so, but I'm deficient in the kind of expertise to make such an evaluation. Even more importantly, it would do no harm to conduct our civilization's affairs as if it were real.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:49 AM

11,064 posts, read 8,986,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
So who is telling the truth, ABC or CNN ?
My money is on neither.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 AM

6,810 posts, read 14,586,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I'm not a world-renowned climatologist. And I would be dollars to doughnuts that nobody else on this thread is either.

But when the professor emeritus of climatology at MIT says that the data is shoddy, the theory is politically driven, and that important dissenting voices have been silenced either through intimidation or firing, then a reflective person should sit up and listen.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/changeyourm...transcript.pdf
There is a saying in the sciences: "Science advances one funeral at a time" (the quote is usually attributed to Max Planck) - meaning that the established old guard tenaciously holds on to older theories and reject newer theories and it takes "fresher" heads without the strong bias to existing theories for science theories to advance.

There are several excellent examples of this in my own field (geology) and I actually watched it happen with some of the work on Oregon/Washington tsunami/subduction zone earthquake work.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:44 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
My subscription ran out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or