U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 02:46 PM

2,708 posts, read 3,026,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I remember back in the day when I got my first pc, computers were almost completely obsolete sometimes only months later (voodoo 1, 2, 3 etc), in the context of gaming.
But since ps3/xbox360 and crossplatform games being so abundant, this has slowed down significantly, and only picked up recently with 4k resolutions and 3d gaming. The consoles, which many PC gamers hates, actually stabilized the market. And now you can, like me, have an "ancient" computer and enjoy the latest games.
Consoles have nothing to do with it. Cross platform games have different resolution requirements for consoles vs PC, e. g. a game would have "high" setting on xbox, but it goes up to "ultra" on PC. A recent example is Destiny 2, which is capped at 30 FPS on consoles, but on PC 60 FPS will be the standard. And for anyone that thinks playing FPS games at anything below 60 fps is acceptable... well its not. There is a really noticeable difference. I am actually surprised that multiple people on this thread think that sub-60 fps performance is "good enough" or "acceptable". I mean, if you are playing Mario Kart, then yes, you can probably go as low as 23 fps and be alright. It has been a general wisdom for years now that a competitive multiplayer game should be played at 60 fps as a standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 03:58 AM
Yac

5,525 posts, read 5,782,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Consoles have nothing to do with it. Cross platform games have different resolution requirements for consoles vs PC, e. g. a game would have "high" setting on xbox, but it goes up to "ultra" on PC. A recent example is Destiny 2, which is capped at 30 FPS on consoles, but on PC 60 FPS will be the standard. And for anyone that thinks playing FPS games at anything below 60 fps is acceptable... well its not. There is a really noticeable difference. I am actually surprised that multiple people on this thread think that sub-60 fps performance is "good enough" or "acceptable". I mean, if you are playing Mario Kart, then yes, you can probably go as low as 23 fps and be alright. It has been a general wisdom for years now that a competitive multiplayer game should be played at 60 fps as a standard.
Nothing ? Well.. I beg to differ. If it wasn't for the consoles "holding pc's back", we'd have that arms race over again, with 4k graphics as standard long ago. Multiple game devs admitted that they simply couldn't make the game look that much better on pc than it does on the consoles - Witcher 3 was a prime example. It's not that it's specific tech solutions or limitations cause this - it's a matter of marketing mostly.

Also, while I appreciate this elitist approach, as a long time fps player (top 20 in my country in Unreal Tournament back in high school) I have to disagree. Playing competitive pvp fps, any lags or stutter is a problem, here I can agree. But things like the Division, where I only play pve ? Or any single player game ? Whatever works for you - works for you. There is no single "this is unacceptable" rule everyone agreed on. So respectfully, that's only like, your opinion man.
Please note that no one was limiting the scope of the discussion to "competitive multiplayer games" before you did. People play a ton of different games, and even if we limited the discussion to this particular niche, it would still not be true - I really can't imagine what the advantage of having 60 fps over 40 fps in something like World of Warships is. And it's a competitive multiplayer game, just not a twitch shooter.
Having said all that, we're getting rather off topic here so if you want to continue this discussion, we should move to the video games forum.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology