U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:31 AM
Yac

5,853 posts, read 6,202,828 times

Advertisements

You're making a lot of sense, unfortunately when marketing enters the picture, sense often flies out of the window. It's not about what makes sense for an experienced gamer, it's about selling new hardware like new monitors to go along with those graphics cards.
Of course not everyone can afford it - wasn't that the issue with the previous arms race ? When you bought a cutting edge gpu for a ton of money only for it to be obsolete a year later ? The issue was never that you couldn't enjoy a game without playing it with maxed out settings and 60fps, the issue was this was a selling point. Suddenly many companies almost stopped optimizing their games for older hardware, designing them for gpu's that weren't even out yet.

Now that I'm reading the post you're responding to, I'm not sure what I meant back then, to be honest. Because the witcher 3 graphical downgrade was a fact, and if it wasn't for the consoles, who knows what would have happened ? And just for the record, I played the game on my very modest gtx 660 several times and didn't mind it looking slightly worse than it could have, if I spent 1000$ more on hardware.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:37 PM

16,106 posts, read 27,000,201 times
13" MacBook Pro: 8 years.

Just replaced the 320GB HD with a 500GB SSD, and am very happy about it. But in reality this laptop has ran without a hitch from the beginning. Even the battery is in great shape, maybe because it's always plug it to the outlet whenever I am using it (?). No idea, but it's always turned on, and asleep mode when not being used. I only restart it about once every six months, or just recently when replacing the hard drive. By the way, with the old hard drive the boot-up time took several minutes, and now with the SSD is takes a few seconds to maybe a minute or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 10:25 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
665 posts, read 185,213 times
Computer: (not this crappy one) 2004 or 2005. Dual 2 TB hard drives, PCI 16X (or whatever it's called) 1GB video board, 4GB DDR3, Linsux. It started out as a very bare-bones self-built Pentium Northwood rig running Winblows 98 & XPee and just kept growing!

Telephone: Well, it used to be my grandma's when they moved here in the early 70s. It even still has the silver "Property of Pacific Northwest Bell NOT FOR SALE" sticker on the bottom.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:26 AM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
665 posts, read 185,213 times
This crappy computer: since 2014. It's a Lenovo/IBM (dual-badge) "Think Centre" pizzabox cheapy that I got for something like $50 on Amazoff, leaky caps and all so it pretty much runs on pure luck. Sometimes it's a game of chance whether it will even POST or not. Basically I have two PCs, the big-boy offline multibooter described above and a second Linsux-only PC that solely does network duty. This almost-a-Macint???-quality pariah replaced an equally crappy MSI Hermes 845 that completely died (started belching smoke, probably capacitor suicide) that I picked up at Badwill 6-7 years earlier for about $10.

I've removed the flogged-out CD drive (replaced with a new one without bits of polycarbonate floating around in it) and swapped out the stock Hitachi Deathstar hard drive (40 GB) with a real SATA Western Digital (500 GB), and stuck a spare ATI Radeon 7000 PCI video board in it. (Debian + Intel 845 graphics chipset = headaches.) That's about all I've done because that's about all that can be done with it.

(I think somebody needs to start a new thread: "What's the crappiest computer you've ever owned?")

Old 03-19-2018, 07:28 PM

13,261 posts, read 14,701,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
You're making a lot of sense, unfortunately when marketing enters the picture, sense often flies out of the window. It's not about what makes sense for an experienced gamer, it's about selling new hardware like new monitors to go along with those graphics cards.
Of course not everyone can afford it - wasn't that the issue with the previous arms race ? When you bought a cutting edge gpu for a ton of money only for it to be obsolete a year later ? The issue was never that you couldn't enjoy a game without playing it with maxed out settings and 60fps, the issue was this was a selling point. Suddenly many companies almost stopped optimizing their games for older hardware, designing them for gpu's that weren't even out yet.

Now that I'm reading the post you're responding to, I'm not sure what I meant back then, to be honest. Because the witcher 3 graphical downgrade was a fact, and if it wasn't for the consoles, who knows what would have happened ? And just for the record, I played the game on my very modest gtx 660 several times and didn't mind it looking slightly worse than it could have, if I spent 1000$ more on hardware.
Nope, not true of any of the previous "arms races."

I never have had top-shelf computers. I always buy mid-range. Usually I keep them for quite a while too. I went from a 260 216 to a 970. Towards the end of that run, sure. You started having DX11 games coming out. It's not about optimization. Far Cry 4, for example, will run on a 360. It's not about lack of graphical power. It was about the fact that Nvidia cards did not support DX11, a requirement for some games like Far Cry 4. The 460, which was the lowest of the low end gamer-oriented GPUs that supported DX11, ran Far Cry 4 just fine. Not at 1080p high settings at 120 FPS, but well is relative. It ran a lot better than Far Cry 4 ran on an xbox 360, although Far Cry 3 was really the problem for the franchise. Far Cry 3 did not like potatoes.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Yac

5,853 posts, read 6,202,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Nope, not true of any of the previous "arms races."

I never have had top-shelf computers. I always buy mid-range. Usually I keep them for quite a while too. I went from a 260 216 to a 970. Towards the end of that run, sure. You started having DX11 games coming out. It's not about optimization. Far Cry 4, for example, will run on a 360. It's not about lack of graphical power. It was about the fact that Nvidia cards did not support DX11, a requirement for some games like Far Cry 4. The 460, which was the lowest of the low end gamer-oriented GPUs that supported DX11, ran Far Cry 4 just fine. Not at 1080p high settings at 120 FPS, but well is relative. It ran a lot better than Far Cry 4 ran on an xbox 360, although Far Cry 3 was really the problem for the franchise. Far Cry 3 did not like potatoes.
Hmm, well.. I had a top of the line pc once, bought it like 6 years ago and I still have it - the only thing I changed is the gpu - and the newer one (the gtx 660 i mentioned, I still use it) is by far not a beast.
And to be honest, I don't see how you're disagreeing with me. I don't think I said it's a case of the hardware getting too weak to run the games, though my use of the word obsolete might suggest that - I blame not being an English native speaker for that.
Whatever the reason was, regardless how stupid/blown out of proportions, there was this marketing drive to sell new hardware not every 5 years, but every year. I remember back when I got my first PC, it was a Pentium 133, it was around when the first dedicated 3d accelerators started being popular and necessary - do you remember the arms race then? That's the one the consoles, imo stopped. Anything later than that, it was just a small skirmish, not a full out war. It was a result of marketing mostly, imo. It slowed down when first multiplatform games started coming out, and it set the standard for the whole gaming world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or