Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:40 PM

723 posts, read 806,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Belief" is a religious concept. This is the SCIENCE forum.

What you or I believe is irrelevant.
Not quite sure, because belief ( the lack of doubt ) can come for an experiment. For instance after a DNA test, scientists can believe that John Doe is the son of Joe Blow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 07:50 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
"Plot idea: 97% of the world's scientists contrive an environmental crisis, but are exposed by a plucky band of billionaires & oil companies."
Scott Westerfeld

"In its simplest form, the argument for anthropogenic climate change goes as follows.

1. The Earth's atmosphere keeps the planet much warmer than it would be without an atmosphere.

2. The main gases which contribute to this are carbon dioxide, methane and water vapor.

3. Collectively these are called greenhouse gases.
The ability of these gases to act as greenhouse gases can be shown in a laboratory.

4. The quantity of these greenhouse gases in the atmosphere has increased sharply since the Industrial Revolution, and their concentration continues to do so.

5.The concentration of these gases has increased as a consequence of human activity.

6. The temperature of Earth's atmosphere has been increasing and continues to increase.

7. The increase in global temperature correlates with the increases of greenhouse gases.

8. The increase in temperature has been caused by the increase in greenhouse gases."

Rationalwiki's global warming portal contains cited arguments on every rebuttal that can be made, so no matter what response you come up with, you can go there, find the appropriate section and see scientific studies showing the evidence.

Global warming - RationalWiki
39% of US is powered by coal burning energy, if you really believed what you are saying, you would be looking to replace it with those that cause less carbon emissions.

And incidentally how do you respond to an argument that we do not have the data because we have not been recording weather data for that long. What we are seeing is natural weather patterns. Natural green house emission submersed ours...

If you think about it, we come from Earth, what do you mean Earth can not sustain us?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:02 AM

723 posts, read 806,129 times
Quote:
Shank
If you want to educate yourself on the climate change debate, please watch the videos at the following link at your leisure:

PSA: Science Journalist Outlines the Climate Debate - Democratic Underground

They are made by a journalist who covered the science debate over climate change.
Thanks for the link

Old 01-27-2015, 03:14 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Seems to me the rise in CO2 levels cannot be denied... however CO2 levels have been much higher in this planet's history without a runaway greenhouse effect. I see the warming as a good thing. There's a lot of land on this planet that is in very cold areas... Canada, Greenland, Alaska, Russia, etc.. everyone complains about the cold and moves to Florida.. having it be a few degrees warmer isn't necessarily a bad thing... except in coastal areas where ocean levels might go up a foot or two.

There's also this...

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/s...els-rise-16094

Old 01-27-2015, 06:56 PM

I accidentally stumbled on HBO when my internet broke last night. I watched Real Time with Bill Maher on HB, and so
global warming must be true! Bill presented presented refutable proof.

Also I am in NJ, and we just had a blizzard...
You can read about it here:The 15 best busted blizzard of 2015 memes | NJ.com

So Global warming must be true.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Not being a climatologist i'm in a poor position to refute what the majority of the scientific community are claiming that man is causing an adverse spike in the global temperature
,remembering back to my highschool science class where we learned about the green house effect and its resultant warming of the atmopshere makes me think mans usage of 100 million barrels of oil being used daily global warming might be a reasonable consequence to such massive usage of fossil fuels.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Belief" is a religious concept. This is the SCIENCE forum.

What you or I believe is irrelevant. I could believe in a giant green rabbit that poops humans from the sky and live perfectly happily. It would make no difference to what actually does happen (giant RED rabbits poop humans from the sky).

Is what you want to discuss an intent to get me emotionally involved or to change my belief systems? If so, it has no place here.

1. I don't affect the weather or climate in any meaningful way.
2. I do not have influence with anyone who might in my wildest dreams be able to do so.
3. I have no influence on governments in India or China or any other purported contributors to such stuff.
4. I expect to die long before humanity becomes crispy critters.

Whatever I believe, it ain't my problem, it is irrelevant to my life, and I don't need another religion.
I 100% agree with you that belief is irrelevant, only the facts you are stating are really your beliefs.

Myself, on other hand, I willing to listen to an intelligent debate on the subject to find facts.

For instance 39% of US get's it electricity from burning coal and that generates lots of carbon emissions that allegedly cause the man made global warming.

Some scientists predicted global warming or climate change as ever you would like to put it and said it was man made. Now we are debating if it is man made or natural. Polar caps have been melting for a while now, and it was said due to human industry. Now a climate change.

This seems to be a partisan debate, and I do hate republicans, but I want to see science and accept my facts on the basis of that.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 PM

Here are some charts that I found for instance.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
NFN but hasn't this topic been beaten to death in the last couple of months here?
NFN? Is that an acronym? You should explain it if it is.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
I believe in climate change. I am leaning towards the fact that it's man-made, although I am keeping an open mind about that.

However, I do believe the climate will change one way or the other and rather than debate it to death, I think we'd do a lot better to shut up and just prepare for it. I read somewhere that the Little Ice Age in Europe was in full swing after only ten years, so we might not have a lot time to prepare when climate change is already here if we keep stalling. One thing I read is that when a major climate change in imminent, the weather stutters. It will go from one extreme to the other, from very hot to very cold for a while. Maybe that's what's happening now. Anyway, that's just what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology