U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 01:32 PM

5,162 posts, read 10,472,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
nope, as I am a competent highly trained pilot, not someone who just opened up a box from wal mart and started flying around. If the drone pilots start doing things properly and integrate into the pilot community then no one will have any issues. That means ADSB out transponders and being on the CTAF radio so other pilots are aware you are there, if that's too hard for you then the FAA has every right to crack down on you.

I am sorry that flying in the skys with professionals cant be like playing match box cars with your 3 year old anymore.

And yes I will be above 400 because its not worth my life from a mouth breather that can cut open a box and be in the sky in a few min. There are a lot of disappointed people because I did informal air shows that a lot of people enjoyed. Once I have a jammer and I am confident it is highly efficient I can drop back down the deck.
Uhmmm ... , you call your self that (above highlited) and you fly below 400 feet with a biplane ???

Show me the proper FAR paragraphs that allow you to do that except during take off and landing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 01:38 PM

6,058 posts, read 2,492,570 times
Over water and unpopulated areas, you get one lagit response before the discussion denigrates as I have no patience for people that want to endanger other peoples lives. I don't do that stuff over people but the proliferation of drones has people flying them anywhere and everywhere. A buddy of mine almost hit one at 1200 ft. Also my area has TONS of little private strips so there is almost no where planes are not flying low on approach.

The altitude is not the issue its the incompetence of the mouth breathing sheeple going to wal mart to buy their quad copter and go out and endanger and enrage everyone else and they they have the nerve to scoff at safety features because it would price them out of the market.

Its like they forget they are living in a nation full of 320 million people, they are going to have to do a little better than 500$ if they want to use the limited air space with the rest of us and be safe. I would be willing to invest in an ipad mini with forflight and an ADSB IN and out so that everything in the air appeared as a little yellow dot and I could avoid collisions.

I am all for drones if they have aDsb out and are on the proper CTAF radio frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ... , you call your self that (above highlited) and you fly below 400 feet with a biplane ???

Show me the proper FAR paragraphs that allow you to do that except during take off and landing ...

Old 01-29-2016, 01:46 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
RC helicopter is not a drone so calm down...
All of the recent publicity has thrown me into the drone melee. Suddenly, not only do I need my AMA membership, but I have to get a federal ID to fly my helicopters. Also, I am harassed by folks telling me that they'd "shoot that drone down" if it was flying near their property. Heck, I don't even have a camera on the things.

So, I hope you can understand my sensitivity and over-reaction on this "drone" issue. Flying my R/C helicopters has gone from a relaxing hobby to a vilified activity.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:59 PM

6,058 posts, read 2,492,570 times
I really do feel for the old school RC guys, they have operated for decades without putting pilots at risk or harassing people by flying them right above someones fenced in back yard. Also most RC pilots flew far lower than 400 ft because they had to have line of sight, these drones with cameras can now fly out of sight of the operator.

The issue is squarely around barrier to entry. RC takes skill talent and time. Drones take no skill or talent and now the costs have come down to the point where any local yokel with a few bucks can buy one, they don't care about peoples safety privacy etc they want to do what they want to do and they want the COSTS low because otherwise they are out of the game. ADSB and radios are not cheap, to bad so sad if a mouth breather wants to harass people with their a** hattery then they should at least have to pony up a 3-5k otherwise they should go back to war craft in their parents basements.

These are the people the pilots hate and RC pilots should hate. Oh look at our special snow flake go flying his drone around

Oh and for the condesnding meritless remark by irman, they are building laser systems as we speak to shoot drones down. The issues were not your precious $500 toy but rather discharging a fire arm in city limits that were getting people busted. Once these laser systems are ready or people start building their own it will be open season on these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
All of the recent publicity has thrown me into the drone melee. Suddenly, not only do I need my AMA membership, but I have to get a federal ID to fly my helicopters. Also, I am harassed by folks telling me that they'd "shoot that drone down" if it was flying near their property. Heck, I don't even have a camera on the things.

So, I hope you can understand my sensitivity and over-reaction on this "drone" issue. Flying my R/C helicopters has gone from a relaxing hobby to a vilified activity.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:42 PM

8,988 posts, read 7,076,226 times
"... from a mouth breather..."
"... incompetence of the mouth breathing..."

I wonder why so many people seem to want to use that as some kind of deadly insult?
Are they so lacking in intelligence and compassion that they don't realize that there are many quite nice people in the world who have medical problems that force them to breathe open mouthed much of the time?
Perhaps they just don't care who they insult or offend.
Personally, I find the term incredibly offensive, and IMO those who bandy it about are less intelligent than those they wish to denigrate! Oh, wait; "less intelligent"? No, let's be plain about it: They are much DUMBER, and they prove it by using such a term!
Yes, I AM one of those people. Much of the time I simply can't get enough air when breathing nasally. I simply HAVE to be a mouth-breather to survive!
It is NOT funny!
No, I do not own any kind of radio controlled aircraft. However, I do have some radio controlled vehicles.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:31 PM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
I'm sure almost all Quad copter owners are flying their machines merely for the fun of it and not to waste time or effort spying on others.For those concerned with their privacy you might be more concerned at the capabilities of your cell phone,computer or satellite surveillance than some one having fun with a quad.

This looks like nothing but fun to me =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvH2f-AewX8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology