U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:01 AM

4,990 posts, read 7,780,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
In an earlier article about this, the university estimated having a working rocket by 2020 (sooner if NASA gave them more money) if that really does happen then I assume things will change in regards to NASA's plans?
Maybe things would change with regard to NASA's plans. The trick is getting a prototype that successfully works. And to do that requires more money. If what the university is saying is really plausible, then I would think the funding would be given a green light to continue. What do they have to justify the expenditure? Or is it just another proposal to see if it can work which would mean maybe it will and maybe it won't. There's nothing new about universities asking for more money. Estimating to have a working rocket by 2020 doesn't necessarily mean that they WILL have a working rocket by 2020. Stating a due date makes it sound more urgent.

If they're already getting money from NASA for the proposal or project, then it's a good guess that NASA has already seen what they have so far. Part of it might be that NASA simply isn't impressed, or that the amount being asked for is more than NASA has in their budget for the project. NASA has had plenty of cutbacks in their budget as it is so they might not have the money that's being asked for.

I would agree that being able to significantly reduce the travel time down to 30 to 90 days would be very desirable. So if it wouldn't necessarily cost $2 billion, then what would it cost and how certain are they that it won't be more than $2 billion? To me that just sounds like a bit of slick sales pitch to get more funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:17 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,780,700 times
Apparently the timetable for the Mars One (one-way trip) has been set back by 2 years due to snags. A robotic lander was expected to happen in 2018. But it's been pushed back to 2020. That means the one-way manned mission with a crew of 4 would be pushed back to no sooner than 2027. Personally, I think they should be looking at something other than a lander. They should use a mobile rover to better search a prospective area.

Money appears to be an issue as well. It had been envisioned that jump start funding would raise billions of dollars. However, it looks like the revenue is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's a lot of money, but not nearly enough for the plan of Mars One. While they may continue raising money, they need to get started now, not several years down the road, to meet the planned schedule.

Mars One CEO, Bas Lansdorf, is anticipating to launch to be on schedule, but that instead of being pushed back 2 years, it could possibly be delayed by 4, 6, or even 8 years.

Mars One Delays Timetable for Red Planet Trips Amid Criticism - NBC News

Here's a list of the donations and merchandise revenue as of March 11, 2015, which total to $784,382.00.
Donate - Mars One

Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,048,697 times
Default For me, not a chance in hell

On a one-way ticket to Mars, anything could happen. What's to prevent one the people who is going from raping all of the women, even killing them? Or for the most domineering men from taking over, killing some of the others, or doing whatever? Imagine the younger men killing the older people, reasoning that doing so will save on resources. Seems like recipe for disaster to me. These people are not coming back, so what do they care? If they're crazy enough to take a one-way ticket to Mars, the likelihood that bad, unpredictable behavior will result is probably much higher than average.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:37 PM

622 posts, read 398,343 times
Muslims have been banned from joining the party apparently: Clerics Issue Fatwa: Muslims Can't Live On Mars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or