Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
its called war-driving. any broadcasted ssid can be spoofed (thats why its slightly more secure to keep the routers name hidden).
That's understood Stanley but in this case you don't have to drive anywhere, just sit in some public place broadcasting as "xfinitywifi". Comcast has millions of customers many of whom will take advantage of this service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I'm not a net wizard by any means, but everything I read says a neighbor bought a new microwave or other interfering device and plopped it down exactly where it will interfere.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
Does common sense, logic, or rationality need legal precedent? It had to start somewhere.
Legal precedent would help you make your case. So far you've got your work cut out for you.

Quote:
If a neighbor is interfering with WiFi, they are encroaching themselves unfairly on other residents, causing problems. Just because it's a radio signal causing a problem and not a soundwave or a parked car doesn't mean it's not a compelling-enough problem for them to step in and resolve a problem between residents. There's many things that weren't in leases that were added because there were problems, and WiFi interference should be added too.
Is there something in your lease that guarantees you interference-free wi-fi? Maybe you should insist upon that in your next lease, then. Don't sign a lease without it!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:

It's been working fine for the last year and a half, I can't blame myself for just being here.
And yet, you have no problem blaming your neighbors for just being there....

Quote:
This adds to the problem; my guess is some apartments already have multiple routers in the home, needlessly.
And who gets to determine whether it's a "need"?

Quote:
The landlord regulates pets on leashes, whether they allow pets, noise levels, ground rules, outdoor rules, how many nights a week or month non-renters can sleep there, that harmful science experiments not be run, that people don't pile up reeking garbage that disturbs other residents, swimming pool rules, children, modifications to doors and walls, what can be on the balcony or porch, you name it; anything that could cause a problem for them or another resident, they don't want, so why wouldn't they regulate on router interference?

They would want something done as well if they were in my shoes, and my guess is you would too.
Because most of those have a health/legal consequence tied to it. Not to mention most of these were probably part of your lease agreement. If you really want this, you can try and negotiate it with your landlord. And good luck with that.

What's next, asking them to curb tenant's use of microwaves, cordless phones, bluetooth accessories, RF remotes, etc.???

Old 02-26-2015, 01:01 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Changing the channel didn't solve the problem, even at Comcast's instructions.
What are you downstream, upstream, and signal to noise ratio numbers associated with your router.

If possible plug your laptop directly into the router via Cat-5e (i.e. ethernet) cable so you can get a reading without wireless.

I use http://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/status_cgi to see my numbers.

Downstream I get 3.90 dBmV (as close to zero is ideal, but +/- 15 is OK)
Upstream I get 31.00 dBmV (27 to 50 is OK)
Signal to Noise Ratio I get 37.09 dB (32 or higher is OK)

If you are at the extreme edges of these limits or outside of them, you may have a problem with a noise source affecting your router. The coaxial in your apartment may be poorly wired.

Also so you have DOCSIS 2.0 or DOCSIS 3.0 for your modem? You should get that from the same website.

Lots of advice on the web.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxarSx0rQ9M

Old 03-10-2015, 06:29 PM

79 posts, read 273,859 times
The Comcast tech came and found the exact same thing I did, that there were too many 2.4GHz routers around me, and swapped out my modem for a 2.4/5GHz dual-band gateway (modem+router), and my speeds are normal for anything I connect to 5GHz, except for the master bedroom which has degraded performance (which never did before the interference) and I think it's because of the neighbors on that wall who also blast their TV all night every night whom the security guards won't do anything about because they can't hear it from outside.

The Comcast tech said WiFi interference has been an increasing problem for the last year, and agreed it would be worth the landlord/owner looking into lease rules concerning it.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Quote:
The Comcast tech said WiFi interference has been an increasing problem for the last year, and agreed it would be worth the landlord/owner looking into lease rules concerning it.
Yep! Absolutely. It should always be some other guy's problem. As long as that guy is not me.

I understand what you and Rabbit ears are going through. Everytime a pretty girl moves into my building those freeking hot guys on the first floor squeeze me out. I never get any of them to go out with me and the only reason is those aholes are interferring with my game. If the landlord would just evict them like I asked I would have an open field and be able to bag all the hot babes. The landlord knows these guys are babe magnets and does NOTHING about it!!! WTH?? I have been here longer than they have and he knows I deserve first shot with the new tenants when they are good looking enough for me. He should make those male stripper dudes only date the old bats in the building. That would be fair, I think.

But I am with you Unhinged, the landlord should be responsible for everything we dont like.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:12 PM

3,793 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Sounds like the tech was shining you on. What else were they supposed to do, have a debate with you about it?

If I were your landlord, your rent would go up at the next opportune time to compensate me for the the extra cost of doing business with you.

Take it up with the FCC. That's your only hope.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:40 AM

140 posts, read 188,950 times
Quote:
Word of advice - saying "the Comcast tech agreed with me" ranks right up there with saying "Jeffrey Dahmer agreed with me". It's not a shining endorsement.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:00 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,299,067 times
This might be where someone might think you are a trouble maker.

When you said..."I can speak with the neighbors, but they've reported me to management for doing that with other problems (like noise), they deny everything, say everything's fine, and the management says to contact them first; well, I did, and they didn't understand the difference between internet and wifi and said "pay Comcast to fix it for you", which they can't do if someone else's WiFi is interfering with mine, that is primarily the responsibility of the landlord, who thinks it isn't because they've obviously not dealt with WiFi interference issues.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology