U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 01:54 AM

140 posts, read 137,475 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals, I'm glad I found this thread. I'm having a similar but related problem and this seems like a good thread to post in to get help. I have a TV with a set of rabbit ears on top and I have to fiddle with them to get channel 27 to come in, but as soon as I get a signal and then sit down it goes out again. I'm convinced one of my neighbors has a bigger set of rabbit ears that is interfering with mine.

That just doesn't seem fair to me. I got the best rabbit ears I could find, so if someone else has a bigger pair there is no way they can be legal, I suspect they have non FCC approved rabbit ears! I've narrowed down the set of possible high powered rabbit ear offenders to 3 other tenants, the drug dealer in the apartment to the left of me, the wall street banker to the right and the big ego doctor across the hall. There are three other tenants in range but two are nice old ladies and the other is a minister, so I don't think they would use illegal rabbit ears.

So now I've demanded that the landlord enter and search the 3 suspect apartments for the illegal rabbit ears. But you know what the landlord told me? That I should call the rabbit ear association! How stupid can they be, there is no rabbit ear association!

How do you think I should escalate this? I'm so angry I'm almost ready to hire a rabbit ear private investigator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,297,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Isn't only over the last couple weeks that comcast has been activating these hidden second ssids it's put into everybodys routers?
This service is only available if you have installed the new modem/router they are pushing.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:35 AM

2,970 posts, read 3,764,594 times
Default As my uncle used to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Why do you think this is the landlord's problem?

Sincerely, purchase some metal foil and cover the wall between you and your neighbor to block his signal and contain yours. After all, you may be interfering with his signal as well.

Believe it or not, this is not an uncommon problem with wifi, which is, after all, just a low powered radio signal. Interference between radio transmitters happens. Never had issues driving around listening to your car radio, and hearing two stations interfere with eachother?

An alternative is to speak with your neighbor and determine if you are both broadcasting on the same frequency. Then one of you changes channels (frequencies) and life becomes good.

But no I dont believe it is the landlords problem to assure that your your internet or your wifi is behaving optimally.
They haven't changed the laws of nature when it comes to radio signals since my uncle ran oil tankers through the Baltic back in WW2!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:39 AM

2,970 posts, read 3,764,594 times
What ASTOUNDS me is that those with the most toys in this game know the least.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:49 AM

3,973 posts, read 1,941,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Are you sure your connecting to your portal, and not trying to use someones public section on their modem> I get a weak RF signals from local Xfinity routers and my devices connect to them at times, but they are weak so its too slow. Did you follow the instrutions to set up and Authenticate your connection.
good point. whats the hwaddress of your router and the hwaddress of the router your devices are connecting to.

i sometimes use the wifi hotspot on my cell-fone and it broadcasts a generic samsung wifi ssid. if someone 100 feet away has the same model fone then my laptop mite get confused and connect to the wrong one. and when that person leaves the area i will get connection not found errors.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM

11,057 posts, read 11,465,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post
Hey guys and gals, I'm glad I found this thread. I'm having a similar but related problem and this seems like a good thread to post in to get help. I have a TV with a set of rabbit ears on top and I have to fiddle with them to get channel 27 to come in, but as soon as I get a signal and then sit down it goes out again. I'm convinced one of my neighbors has a bigger set of rabbit ears that is interfering with mine.

That just doesn't seem fair to me. I got the best rabbit ears I could find, so if someone else has a bigger pair there is no way they can be legal, I suspect they have non FCC approved rabbit ears! I've narrowed down the set of possible high powered rabbit ear offenders to 3 other tenants, the drug dealer in the apartment to the left of me, the wall street banker to the right and the big ego doctor across the hall. There are three other tenants in range but two are nice old ladies and the other is a minister, so I don't think they would use illegal rabbit ears.

So now I've demanded that the landlord enter and search the 3 suspect apartments for the illegal rabbit ears. But you know what the landlord told me? That I should call the rabbit ear association! How stupid can they be, there is no rabbit ear association!

How do you think I should escalate this? I'm so angry I'm almost ready to hire a rabbit ear private investigator.
You are barking up the wrong tree. Unless your rabbit ears share a common wall with the neighbor's rabbit ears, there is no way there could be enough coupling between them to affect your reception. The reason you lose reception when you sit down is that you are changing your rabbit ears. When you stand next to them to adjust them there is enough coupling between your body and the conductors to provide reception. Go sit down and that goes away.

UHF reception with rabbit ears has always been problematic. The first thing to do is just relocate your TV to a different room or position in the room. Fortunately, UHF antennae are small, so you can buy a real UHF antenna and use that. You may need some switches and/or an additional signal combiner/amplifier.

You said you have the best rabbit ears on the market. That may or may not be true. Take a look at some of these:

Indoor Antennas

If you want to go with a real antenna, something like this would probably go a long way to solving your problems.

Antennas Direct DB2-E UHF Extended Range HDTV Antenna (DB2E) from Solid Signal)

It has a 60 degree beam width, so positioning will not be ultra critical. The 12 dB gain is a lot better than the 5 dB you get from rabbit ears. dB is a logarithmic scale, and every 3 dB represents a doubling of signal strength. Add an inline signal amp and stash this behind a chair or cabinet aimed in approximately the right direction and it will probably solve your signal problem.

Meanwhile, quit being the nut case neighbor with a vendetta against your neighbor's rabbit ears. They have nothing to do with your problem.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

1,450 posts, read 820,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You are barking up the wrong tree. Unless your rabbit ears share a common wall with the neighbor's rabbit ears, there is no way there could be enough coupling between them to affect your reception. The reason you lose reception when you sit down is that you are changing your rabbit ears. When you stand next to them to adjust them there is enough coupling between your body and the conductors to provide reception. Go sit down and that goes away.

UHF reception with rabbit ears has always been problematic. The first thing to do is just relocate your TV to a different room or position in the room. Fortunately, UHF antennae are small, so you can buy a real UHF antenna and use that. You may need some switches and/or an additional signal combiner/amplifier.

You said you have the best rabbit ears on the market. That may or may not be true. Take a look at some of these:

Indoor Antennas

If you want to go with a real antenna, something like this would probably go a long way to solving your problems.

Antennas Direct DB2-E UHF Extended Range HDTV Antenna (DB2E) from Solid Signal)

It has a 60 degree beam width, so positioning will not be ultra critical. The 12 dB gain is a lot better than the 5 dB you get from rabbit ears. dB is a logarithmic scale, and every 3 dB represents a doubling of signal strength. Add an inline signal amp and stash this behind a chair or cabinet aimed in approximately the right direction and it will probably solve your signal problem.

Meanwhile, quit being the nut case neighbor with a vendetta against your neighbor's rabbit ears. They have nothing to do with your problem.
Larry, you post a lot of good info, but I believe the post you replied to was meant as a parody of the OP.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:39 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,114,361 times
Quote:

LOL

Funny!

Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 PM

11,057 posts, read 11,465,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Larry, you post a lot of good info, but I believe the post you replied to was meant as a parody of the OP.
Oh. I assumed the person was a bona fide ignorant nut case. Even so, UHF reception has always been a problem, so maybe my info did some good.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:54 PM

16,851 posts, read 51,335,478 times
Quote:

Dude, what did you expect renting at the Playboy mansion? Also, here is a hint - it is MUCH more rewarding to fiddle with the tail than the ears, especially if it is Jessica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or