U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:52 PM

1,698 posts, read 2,029,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
This might be where someone might think you are a trouble maker.

When you said..."I can speak with the neighbors, but they've reported me to management for doing that with other problems (like noise), they deny everything, say everything's fine, and the management says to contact them first; well, I did, and they didn't understand the difference between internet and wifi and said "pay Comcast to fix it for you", which they can't do if someone else's WiFi is interfering with mine, or if my wi-fi is interfering with somebody else's
that is primarily the responsibility of the landlord, who thinks it isn't because they've obviously not dealt with WiFi interference issues.".
If there is a wi-fi overload why should everybody else shut down for you?

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,649,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm not a net wizard by any means, but everything I read says a neighbor bought a new microwave or other interfering device and plopped it down exactly where it will interfere.
Or a telephone, or a fluorescent light as well .

Old 03-12-2015, 11:51 PM

14,212 posts, read 9,649,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
The Comcast tech came and found the exact same thing I did, that there were too many 2.4GHz routers around me, and swapped out my modem for a 2.4/5GHz dual-band gateway (modem+router), and my speeds are normal for anything I connect to 5GHz, except for the master bedroom which has degraded performance (which never did before the interference) and I think it's because of the neighbors on that wall who also blast their TV all night every night whom the security guards won't do anything about because they can't hear it from outside.

The Comcast tech said WiFi interference has been an increasing problem for the last year, and agreed it would be worth the landlord/owner looking into lease rules concerning it.
Comcast "Techs" are known to be salesmen who replace stuff. They very rarely understand any aspect of networking or how to troubleshoot it. Network performance can slow down for a variety of reasons.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:55 PM

7,206 posts, read 5,286,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
They very rarely understand any aspect of networking or how to troubleshoot it.
This. They are not in your house because they're awesome network wizards. They're low level grunts who drive around plugging in ethernet and coaxial cables for a living.

But, at least in this case, the tech was right and told the OP exactly what the people on here have been saying. His only fault was indulging the OP's irrational delusion that somehow this is the landlord's problem, but honestly if I were the tech I'd just nod along too, lest the obviously cranky, whiny OP call Comcast to complain about me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or