Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You are right, recent DNA research does show that Neanderthals had red hair, but their gene for red hair is not the same gene for red hair in modern humans, though they both result in red hair. Some, but not many modern humans carry the neanderthal gene for red hair.

I was going to chime in on that, but forgot (i.e. Neanderthal red hair was different gene from modern human gene). It is an interesting example of coevolution, and it suggests that something about the red hair variant may have been linked (as we see today) will exceptually fair, almost untannable skin. Not sure what that advantage was though...

Supachai- Good point that central /east Asians are more cold adapted than Europeans. I agree. Also, I suspect they were hairy as well. It is perhaps not a coincidence that the east Europeans with the most Neanderthal DNA (E. Mediterraneans from Tuscany to the Caucasus) are the hairiest Europeans, perhaps humans (except the Ainu (who may well have had similar DNA linkages?)). This does not explain the less hairy nature of most modern Asians though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:47 AM

922 posts, read 806,788 times
What white people did to Aboriginals is an atrocity.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:54 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Everytime i see this thread I read "Astroids"

Old 03-06-2015, 12:51 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
False. Different co-existing species.
That is the way it is portrayed, but given that they clearly interbred successfully, perhaps they were separate subspecies, or varieties of humanity.

From what I have read, I would have a hard time saying Neanderthals were not human. Different, but definitely human.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

My point is and will always be that all people on this earth are of one race - the human race.

Skin color is not a race. No matter how much European or sub-Saharan genes one has, or if they are aboriginal - we are all humans.
That is an often repeated nugget of propaganda that is completely pointless as no one seriously thinks that race is defined by skin color alone. People of sub-Saharan descent have physical features that group them together as a race. An albino Black person isn't considered White, just because his skin is pale.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
What white people did to Aboriginals is an atrocity.
What did people do to Aboriginals and to how many of them?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I didn't say different races are different species. It is just simply that different races are different. Can you deny that?
The idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation or these vague references to Neanderthal DNA is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.

Consider it denied.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:47 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
This is a racist thread, by the way.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:29 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
This is a racist thread, by the way.
What did you say?

Old 03-07-2015, 05:45 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
The idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation or these vague references to Neanderthal DNA is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.

Consider it denied.
Straw man argument. Only ignorant people think that race is defined by skin color. Most wouldn't call southern Indians and sub-Saharan Africans part of the same race.

Quote:
This is a racist thread, by the way
It shouldn't be unexpected that in a thread that discusses the science behind human variation, we'd have some shrill know nothings drop by to inject, "That's racist!" into the mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology