Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times

Advertisements

Do we really know what Denisovans looked like and how they were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 11:00 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Do we really know what Denisovans looked like and how they were?
We have no idea. We've only found tooth and bone fragments. We know it's a different species just because of the DNA. Some speculate that they were the source of the Yeti legends.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Dragonslayer is mistaken. The gene for red hair does not come from Neanderthals. It's thought that some Neanderthals had reddish hair because some Neanderthal individuals were found to have a mutation that is similar to the gene for red hair found in humans. It's not the same gene though.
Well actually, I once read that it has to do with the age of the red hair & freckles gene in humans. Something like 150,000 years old. And that's why the gene is believed to come from Neanderthals. Another thing: modern-day redheads can mainly be found in what are thought to be some of the last Neanderthal refuges (the British Isles, Anatolia, the Levant).

I actually find it hard to believe that Neanderthals, who flourished in Ice Age Europe, would have anything other than pale skin (to absorb UV light) and possibly light shades of hair. The typical depictions of Neanderthals as swarthy, black-haired, and hairy seem rather ridiculous.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
The typical depictions of Neanderthals as swarthy, black-haired, and hairy seem rather ridiculous.
What's wrong with being hairy. Europeans are hairy.

What's wrong with having dark hair. Northeast Asians have dark hair.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
What's wrong with being hairy. Europeans are hairy.

What's wrong with having dark hair. Northeast Asians have dark hair.
I'm referring to black-haired hairiness, as seen in the typical depiction/reconstruction of what Neanderthals "looked like". Asians have dark hair, yes, but they are a different race. I've never heard of Neanderthals having settled in Northeast Asia.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to black-haired hairiness, as seen in the typical depiction/reconstruction of what Neanderthals "looked like". Asians have dark hair, yes, but they are a different race. I've never heard of Neanderthals having settled in Northeast Asia.
According to most recent DNA testing, East Asians have the highest Neanderthal DNA than any group.

Why do East Asians have 20% more Neanderthal DNA than Europeans? | Genetic Literacy Project

Old 03-05-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
We have no idea. We've only found tooth and bone fragments. We know it's a different species just because of the DNA. Some speculate that they were the source of the Yeti legends.
What do we know about the Peking man? How long ago did they live? Were they only found in China?

Old 03-05-2015, 01:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am still shuddering over the concept of bears hunting in packs. That is really frightening.

Old 03-05-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am still shuddering over the concept of bears hunting in packs. That is really frightening.
What does that have anything to do with this thread?

Old 03-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Europeans and Asians survived the brutal winter up north, and one of them is hairy and the other one has dark hair. Why is it so hard to think that Neanderthals are both hair and have dark hair like the Europeans and Asians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology